This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night Owl SC - Long...sorry

So here I am with a house full of food and nothing in the way of snackies. The watermelon we bought at the local farmer's market tasted like ass and even though it thumped and resonated like it was ripe...the rind was a solid three inches thick.

So I'm in the mood for something sweet. To myself I think, "Gee Self, there's a 24 hour Wal-Mart within walking distance from you. There is some chocolate there in desperate need of being liberated."

I agree with myself and away I go.

Now as many of you know, Walmart is notorious for having more lanes than the LA freeway system but only having 6-8 of them open at any given time. Ours has 36 and only runs at most 10...and that was at Christmas. Tonight (at 1:30 in the morning) there were only two lines running. This is to be expected and at 24 hour grocery stores (that normally run most of their lanes) they do the same so I thought nothing of it.

Faced with the choice of two lines I analyze the situation. In line 23 there is a woman with two shopping carts filled to overflowing. Not sucky because I can imagine the situation. Mommy and Daddy both get their two-week paycheck on the same day. They have kids who if allowed to go shopping would be all grabby and do about a million of the little things that would get them mention here in this forum...

So the solution is to let them drift off to sleep, have Daddy stay home in case of problems and go grocery shopping for the next two weeks at o-dark-thirty. Makes sense and is not sucky.

Lane 24 has a woman with about 20 items of clothing in the cart. Thinking that this would be the shorter line...I choose that one. Jumping the story a bit, I'll tell you that the woman in 23 with the two super stuffed carts got through before I did...her and the woman with the half filled cart as well.

The reason things were so slow? The woman ahead of me was asking the clerk to ring things up in ones and twos and then deciding on what items to keep and which ones to be put back. Deciding with the help of the person on the other end of the cell phone.

"How much are the Tan shorts?"

"They're $14.99."

"ooh, put one of them back."

And so forth and so on. What made this annoying was the fact that items were requested to be rung up again. One item in question (Just My Size brand of size 6 cotton hi-cut briefs in assorted colors) was added and removed three times before finally ending up in the cart for good.

In fact after everything went on...EVERY GODDAMN THING ENDED UP BEING PURCHASED!

In the middle of all this, every other shopper checking out sees the Le Brea tarpit-like trap I'm in and sensibly avoids my laneand is now backing up out into the main aisle-way. So my clerk looks at me and says that she'll call for another register chap to get me rung up at the "10-items-or-less" aisle.

The woman in front of me will not hear of it and freaks out for the clerk having the audacity to stop paying attention to her during the full two minutes she was debating with the voices in her head (or at least the other side of the phone) on whether or not she needs the third bra.

Well another clerk comes and opens the register. I'm rung up and I'm free to go...except for the fact that my morbid curiosity gets the better of me and I have to stay and watch the proceedings.

Finally the total for EVERYTHING is figured out and it comes to $179.28. Ok the woman starts counting out cash to pay for it. Sadly however I'm not talking about the typical "$50, 100, 150, 170, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 179.30" or even "20, 40, 60, 80, etc". Oh no, she has to count in a very special way. She is counting by ones and fives (that being all the cash she has). Again it's not like "5, 10, 15, etc" but she's counting like this.

One...two...three...(puts down a five) uhm eight...nine...<pregnant pause> sixteen...seventeen...eighteen...(oh wow! She does have a ten! Her only ten.) <really long pause and the smell of overloaded synaptic tissue> twenty-eight...

Imagine a random stream of ones and fives until she gets to $162 whereupon she pulls out a presumably forgotten $50 gift card from walmart and asks if she can use it. The clerk sighs and runs the card and informs her that her new total is $129.28.

The woman then freaks out. "Oh no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. I only wanted $40 used off of the card. I like to keep a little bit on the card in case of emergencies.

So now a manager has to be paged to straighten out this mess and finally the total remaining is now $139.28. This in the mind of the woman is ok and she starts to pay again...from the beginning.

One...two...three...uhm eight...nine...<pregnant pause> sixteen...seventeen...eighteen... <really long pause> twenty-eight...

then to ice the cake as it were, the person on the other side of the phone call walks in and looks right at her (I know he was the other person since she hung up upon seeing him) and asks what the hell is taking so damn long.

That took 45 minutes of life that the poor clerk will never, ever get back. So the manager tells her to go on break and I hand her one of the business cards I keep in my wallet with the Customers Suck address and tell her to look it up when she gets home and that she is not alone in the retail world. That there are other poor souls out there who need a place to vent before we explode when our idiot waste disposal system blows up and takes our slender grasp on sanity out with it.

I hope she joins up. That woman has the patience of a saint...no scratch that...an Archangel. She needs to vent.

M
    I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

I have recently been sharing this site's URL with the many retail workers working in the trenches that are Haight Ashbury boutiques but I had not thought of printing up little cards.
    Hey Rap-
    How about a business card-sized template that we can print out and pass out to the poor fellow victims we encounter?
    "What did you have for breakfast this morning? Carnation Instant Bitch?"
    -Eric Foreman That 70's Show

Comment

45 minutes?!

We often get massive orders at the grocery store I work at. Often times the entire local fire department will show up to buy food and have 10+ shopping carts absolutely overflowing with stuff. It takes no more than 15 minutes to ring that all up. How is it even possible for a single small cart to take so long to ring up? I've gone into stores, bought every single component for a computer I'm building from scratch, rung up, and driven back home in less time than that.

45 minutes?! ARGH!

*brainmelt*

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
        How is it even possible for a single small cart to take so long to ring up?
        If you have stuff rung up, voided off, rerung up, voided off AGAIN (do that a few more times for each item) and then count out money slowly and in an assinine manner, I can see how it would take 45 minutes.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth StanFlouride View Post
          Hey Rap-
          How about a business card-sized template that we can print out and pass out to the poor fellow victims we encounter?
          I have the PDF of the cards that I use. Nothing fancy but it gets the message across.

If you're interested PM me and I'll e-mail it to you.

M

Comment

Quoth StanFlouride View Post
            Hey Rap-
            http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=16828 - page two of site news.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post

One...two...three...(puts down a five) uhm eight...nine...<pregnant pause> sixteen...seventeen...eighteen...(oh wow! She does have a ten! Her only ten.) <really long pause and the smell of overloaded synaptic tissue> twenty-eight...

she starts to pay again...from the beginning.

One...two...three...uhm eight...nine...<pregnant pause> sixteen...seventeen...eighteen... <really long pause> twenty-eight...
              Please don't tell me that
              1: the clerk took the woman's word for the counting,
              or
              2: the clerk took any $7 bills!
              Last edited by Primer; 08-18-2008, 10:27 PM.
              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                Please don't tell me that
                1: the clerk took the woman's word for the counting,
                or
                2: the clerk took any $7 bills!
                I'm not sure, but I do know that the clerk DID take the money, sorted it and counted it before the transaction was over,

M

Comment

Good one Mongo!

I have this great image in my head of you sitting there on a bench and munching your newly liberated chocy treat staring at this train wreck in bewilderment. Just as I would. And kudos on the card. I don't hand one out very often, but I hope for their sake that they join - cause if I give it to 'em, they need it!

Comment

Was there any pink camo in that lot?
                    This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
                      45 minutes?!

We often get massive orders at the grocery store I work at. Often times the entire local fire department will show up to buy food and have 10+ shopping carts absolutely overflowing with stuff. It takes no more than 15 minutes to ring that all up. How is it even possible for a single small cart to take so long to ring up? I've gone into stores, bought every single component for a computer I'm building from scratch, rung up, and driven back home in less time than that.

45 minutes?! ARGH!

*brainmelt*
                      The largest single order I've ever had to ring up (that didn't involve tax exemption (diplomats, schools, businesses) or exportation (people buying things to ship to our embassies, I guess )) was over $2,000.

...In the summer of 1999.

...At Giant Foods.

Took me HOURS to ring all his stuff up.

This guy wasn't sucky at all, though, at least I don't think so. Very friendly, apologetic, just had a MASSIVE order. Which, as Murphy would have it, RIGHT before I was supposed to go on break.

That's a story that deserves it's own thread, though, so I won't threadjack.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                      X