Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SC confronts me in another store on my break...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I worked in retail, we had the choice: leave the store for an unpaid break or remain in the break room for a paid break with the provision that we may be called up if it got busy.

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
      Also, requiring you to work off the clock is very illegal.
      I tell customers words to very similar effect if I am approached while I'm on my way to lunch. Normally, I have my food in my hands and it is a very visible sign, but that doesn't stop some people.
      "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Mango View Post
        When I worked in retail, we had the choice: leave the store for an unpaid break or remain in the break room for a paid break with the provision that we may be called up if it got busy.

Same here, but remember I was in ANOTHER STORE when the SC confronted me so I WAS following our policy.
        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth Mango View Post

We got a 30 minute unpaid break and 2 paid 15 minute breaks (if we worked 8 hours). We could go wherever in or out of the store without worrying about getting called off break, for the most part. I used to get called sometimes because I was often the only person besides the manager who could do returns or get change for registers, but only when the manager was really too busy (either with another customer or some kind of problem; if they were doing office work or displays or something, they would put it aside). That was one good thing about being in the store.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

That's what I love about New York state. If nothing else, we have great labor laws for hourly employees. If you work a shift of six or more hours, you are required by law to be given a break of 30 continuous, uninterrupted minutes. Employers who fail to abide by this can be fined a lot of money.

Comment

I've only once been pulled off a break, and that was because it WAS actually something only I could handle - a return that the computer garbled. But the store manager made very sure I got the rest of my break after it was done.

My usual response in the store (if it wasn't a simple 'where is this' that I knew the answer to) was always 'I'm off the clock, but give me a second and I'll find someone who can help you' and hitting the nearest call button for them. Soooo many people would give me a dirty look for that, but my store was pretty good at answering the call buttons. During cooler weather, I just brought a jacket to wear when I was off the clock.
              It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Working in a factory, thankfully we don't get pulled off of break.....but at the same time, if there's something important coming through and you are the chosen one to do it, the shift leads can force you to take a later break, meaning once you finish the hot job.

Shift leads have been pulled off of break because someone from another department called up whining about this or that and it just couldn't wait 3 minutes.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

There was a pretty interesting discussion over in the 'morons in management' thread, but with the other side of the coin: managers asking (well, TELLING) you to do work when you've clocked out. It was a good discussion for awhile, but some unfortunate comments caused it to derail and it was closed.

My feeling is that I treat managers like I do customers: If you're good to me, I'll move heaven and earth for you. If you're not, you'll get the bare minimum.

I've had decent managers ask me to help them with something when I'm off the clock or on break, and I'll happily do it if it only takes a moment. A shitty manager who asks or demands it? Hell-to-the NO.

If a customer calls when I've just clocked out for lunch, and it's someone who I've had a great rapport with? I'll take the call. A shitty jackass customer? Again, hell-to-the NO.
                  "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

A couple weeks ago I was doing my shopping after work. I was in the paint dept looking for ceiling paint when this EW approaches and says:

"Lighting fixtures."

At first I ignored her. If she can't manage an entire sentence then I can't manage to assist her, especially since I wasn't working at the time. My lack of response pissed her off so again she says:

"LIGHTING FIXTURES!!!!"

I looked at her with that leave me the f**k alone look and said in my leave me the f**k alone voice, "What?"

EW: "Lighting fixtures...where are they?"

Me: "I'm off the clock."

EW: "Well. Excuse me."

Me: "I don't work for free."

I really hate retail.
                    Retail Haiku:
                    Depression sets in.
                    The hellhole is calling me ~
                    I don't want to go.

Comment

Working...
                    X