This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not paid to babysit guests!

Children, and especially not "grown" adults!!! I am put into positions TOO OFTEN where other adult guests wish me to discipline other adults...

I have a guest who logs onto our single complimentary/courtesy computer in the lobby. First off, he has no idea what he is doing and asks me how to log on. I walk over to get a better perspective and it's on the desktop...I tell him to just doubleclick "Internet Explorer" for the internet, and walk off. This was about 11pm.

Older lady comes down to lobby & starts to wait around the computer prolly 15 minutes after gentleman. He is working away on the computer. At about 11:45 pm I hear her inquire (which is a miracle in itself because I tend to just be working away & not listening to the guests in the lobby unless they scream at me for something), "How long are you going to be on there?" He responds, "for awhile..." She then says, "Well, you've been on there for a half an hour.." He says, "I had to wait 2 hours for the computer already."

She kinda looks pissed, and of course I cringe and she walks up to the desk.

SC: Do you have time restrictions on that computer? I know nothing is posted. (gee, what do you think then? AND as if anyone would give a poo)
    Me: No, we don't. It's a first come-first serve. (wanted to add, complimentary/courtesy computer but didn't)
    SC: Well, you should really tell management that they should have them, because that guy says he had to wait 2 hours for it and I have been waiting a half an hour.
    Me: Okay...I am sorry, this has never been a problem before... (I must note here the guy was a f-ing liar. I got to work at 10pm, no one was on the computer until 11pm when he got on.)
    SC: Well, you just better tell them because this is rediculous. And they should post it.
    Me: I am soo sorry.
    SC: Yeah well I thought that computer was there for checking email quickly, not business work. He is over there working of business documents.
    Me: (the computer is strictly for our prime guests, business people). Well, that computer is for business use...??? *she glares at me* I am sorry...?????? *she walks out the door, and then back into the hotel down the hallway*

I mean, what am I suspta do? Go tell the other guest he is a liar because I got here at 10 and no one was on it, and to be civil and share!

Why did this woman come up to me? Did she expect me to go tell him to get off?? Why do guests have to argue & fight & sometimes want me to do something about it? Why are they usually always adults!!!!???

Any solution to the issue would have caused either one of the guests to wish to speak to management.... I mean....wtf????
    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Quoth thehippie777 View Post
    I mean, what am I suspta do? Go tell the other guest he is a liar because I got here at 10 and no one was on it, and to be civil and share!

Why did this woman come up to me? Did she expect me to go tell him to get off?? Why do guests have to argue & fight & sometimes want me to do something about it? Why are they usually always adults!!!!???

Any solution to the issue would have caused either one of the guests to wish to speak to management.... I mean....wtf????
    Don't you know the Hotel Golden Rule? "Treat other people the way you want to be treated, unless they are standing in the way of you doing what you want to do, because god knows you're more important than that jackass."

It looks like the old lady knew the rule!
    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
    "What IS fun to fight through?"
    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

First off, stop apologising. Did you do anything wrong? No.

Now, when a guest makes a suggestion like that, you thank them for it. As earnestly as you can, you muster up a "Thank you for your suggestion. I'll make sure that gets brought up to management." It makes them happy, even if your "bringing it up to management" consists of "Hey Earl, you'll never guess what this one whacko wanted...." It also makes them shut up and leave. You've agreed. You've said you'll pass it on. There's not really much else they can say.

Comment

What's the matter with them that they don't have their own computers? Anytime I go out of town I bring my laptop with me.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
          What's the matter with them that they don't have their own computers? Anytime I go out of town I bring my laptop with me.
          I know, totally. I do, too. I just have no idea how to handle people like this when all's I want to do is to tell them to adjust their situation/attitude.
          When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

I take my laptop just about everywhere. Same with my wireless USB port and MP3 player.
            Last edited by purplecat41877; 08-19-2008, 03:28 AM. Reason: added something
            My Fanfic Page
            My Fiction Page
            My Social Group
            My Pet Social Group
            My You Tube Channel

Comment

i'd suggest passing on her suggestion to the management or whomever can post a sign limiting the computer to x amount of minutes. if there's just one it might be a good idea... something like, "Computer usage is limited to 30 minutes"

I was going to add the tagline of "if people are waiting" but... SCs would just lie and say no one was waiting.

The only other solution is what was done at some of the computer recreation centers i went to when i was waiting for my internet to be installed.... I would have to sign up for a computer, and the computer would have a timer on it set to 60 minutes. When the timer got to 10 and then 5 minutes left i would get a warning. At 0 minutes, it would cut off...

I could go to the front desk and ask for more time...but that would only happen if there wasn't anyone else waiting.

now granted some people would whine, but o well. they're getting free internets. tell them to stop crying.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                Cause laptops can be expensive? I know with my budget I'm lucky if I have 13 dollars at the end of the month.

Comment

This seems like a legitimate complaint, not a sucky customer. She was a bit irritated, yes, and rightly so, but she didn't seem belligerent.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                    Cause laptops can be expensive? I know with my budget I'm lucky if I have 13 dollars at the end of the month.
                    True, but our hotel also goes for 134+tax a night...

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                    i'd suggest passing on her suggestion to the management or whomever can post a sign limiting the computer to x amount of minutes. if there's just one it might be a good idea... something like, "Computer usage is limited to 30 minutes"

I was going to add the tagline of "if people are waiting" but... SCs would just lie and say no one was waiting.

The only other solution is what was done at some of the computer recreation centers i went to when i was waiting for my internet to be installed.... I would have to sign up for a computer, and the computer would have a timer on it set to 60 minutes. When the timer got to 10 and then 5 minutes left i would get a warning. At 0 minutes, it would cut off...

I could go to the front desk and ask for more time...but that would only happen if there wasn't anyone else waiting.

now granted some people would whine, but o well. they're getting free internets. tell them to stop crying.
                    We already have a sign up that says "Must be 18 to use computer", plain as day right infront of the computer keyboard but teens and kids don't seem to see that.

I just have issues apparently needing to discipline the two adults involved in this matter. Almost always our guests are cordial to one-another, even if there has been a constant occupation of the lobby computer.

Comment

first come first serve...

I get this at work all the time. We have online service, and 4 kiosks for ordering prints besides our film services. Digital customers often complain, "but (he/she) has been on that kiosk I want to use for hoursss (whine, whine, whine, lie, lie, lie)" our signs all say, first come first serve. I have no right to kick someone off for placing a large order or working on their pictures. If you don't like it order for home or come in when we are not busy (not during the lunch hour rush or right after work when everyone is doing the same thing, rushing to get prints before they head home.)

Comment

Working...
                      X