This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• day old doofus

I have just finished my walk of the store to check display tables. As I am heading back to my department they page me their for customer assistance. As I arrive I see CSC(cheap SC) and some other lady with CSC.

OL: do you work here?
    Me: Yes.
    CSC: You know the cakes?
    Me: um. what about them?
    CSC: The day old ones. (we mark down day old stuff that doesn't require refrigeration and sell it at 50% off for one day and then give bread to local soup kitchens or destroy it)
    Me: what about them?
    CSC: Do you mark them down?
    Me: Yes, they are marked down 50% off.
    OL: Where?
    Me: *points to rack at back of store* on that rack at the end of aisle XX.
    CSC: We were just their. We didn't see the mark down.
    Me: *thinking, ok porbabley some idiot but a fresh cake on the rack* Let's go take a look.

We arrive at the day old rack and the CSC pick of one of the cakes...
    CSC: how much is this
    Me: *points to label "yesterdays Baked Goods - Cakes $X.XX"* $X.XX.
    CSC: but how much will it be tomorrow?
    Me: we only mark them as day old for 1 day. After that they are destroued or donated.
    CSC: But what if you held it for us? could we get 50% off today's day old price?
    Me: No.
    CSC: 25%?
    Me: No. It will be destroyed or donated to a local food pantry.
    CSC: 15% off?
    Me: No.
    CSC: What about a extra 10% off today and I will buy it now.
    Me: No. today only for $X.XX.
    CSC: ok. *walks off*

About 20 minutes later, I get a phone call. CSC was at the registers and told the cashier that the cake we argued about earlier rang up wrong. I head up fornt at see CSC holding the cake. It rang up as the day old price on the sticker.

CSC: You said it was 50% off the day old price.
    Me: No. It is X.XX. If you want to try to get it lower you can speak to the manager.
    CSC: I will.

They whine to the MOD (thankfully it was cool MOD, who sticks to the policies) They tired the same game again and eventual left, minus the cake.

Oh Christ... seriously, who haggles over a day-old cake?
    You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Oh, seriously. It is already half price, and if you can't afford it at that price DON'T HAVE IT. Cake isn't an essential to your diet and life.
      Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

If you want cake THAT badly and can't afford the store price ... bake it yourself.
        "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
          If you want cake THAT badly and can't afford the store price ... bake it yourself.
          Most people think a fresh-made cake is preferable, anyway. I can make several, including cheesecakes and angel's food.
          Low lie the Fields of Athenry/ Where once we watched the small free birds fly/ Our love was on the wing/ we had dreams and songs to sing/ It's so lonely around the Fields of Athenry

Comment

Quoth GingerBiscuit View Post
            Cake isn't an essential to your diet and life.
            [misquote] Let them eat cake [/misquote]
            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Maybe she thought the cake was a lie?

</obscure>

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post

</obscure>

lolz...Portal reference ftw!
                --Kim--

“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.” Philip K. Dick

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                  Me: we only mark them as day old for 1 day. After that they are destroued or donated.
                  CSC: But what if you held it for us? could we get 50% off today's day old price?
                  What part of Food Pantry did she not understand? Nothing more cheery anywhere than unexpected cake, and Jesus was quite firm about charity (also Allah, come to think, and it would be a mitzpha, so all three Big Religions back you).

The Paneras in my life are good about day-olds for blood drives, it's nice to give blood and then play guess-the-bagel!

But dude, when some corporate is donating, just step back- don't care if it's just for the tax break, I'm still in favor.

Comment

I'm a chemical dependency counseling student and I am currently doing my internships. The treatment center I work at now is part of the largest homeless shelter in this area...probably largest in the mid-west.

Anyway - they get tons of these cakes from all sorts of places. Grocery stores and cake stores. Every meal they serve comes with a piece of cake or pie as dessert. They also give whole cakes away to those in treatment or on staff when their birthdays come up.

It's something special when you stand in front of 150 - 200 homeless men and women and they sing you happy birthday with your own special cake.

Sorry, its just heartwarming to me.

[edit] The meals they serve are lunch every day and dinner a few times a week. They serve breakfast on Fridays and some other day - at breakfast - you don't get cake or pie - you get donuts. Those are also the "day old" variety.
                    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

geez stories like these make me wanna smack the next cheapo that comes thru my lane

I can't stand it when people think the store isn't selling something cheap enough for them..... argh!

Comment

I thought this was going to be about a newborn who was an SC.

Comment

Nothing wrong with day old baked goods. We snap them up when we see things we like and rarely is there any noticable difference.

Bugger...now you've gone and done it. I want a day old glazed blueberry donut :P
                          "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                          - H. Beam Piper

Comment

The way I look at it is simple. Would you really want to encourage a customer who was so cheap?

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post

</obscure>
                              The cake may be a lie, but the cube is forever.
                              The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Working...
                              X