This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choose your own adventure

The display on one of our pumps is playing up. Basically while it's pumping, the total price flickers a bit. The volume isOK, the price per liter is OK, it's just the total price. It still shows the total when the pump's not pumping, and that matches the price on the till.

SC: (after spending a few minutes using the slightly dodgy pump) "As soon as I picked up the nozzle it jumped to $19. I'm not paying that."
    Me: "It pumped something sir, it doesn't work on air."
    SC: "No it didn't, it went to $19 as soon as I picked it up. I'm not paying."
    Me: "Well something's gone through that pump and into your car."
    SC: "No it went to $19 as soon as I picked it up"

And so on, until I called the manager, he said to make the SC pay but get his phone number and we'll have the pump tested and if it's wrong we can give him a refund. I tell the SC that, he ignores me and walks off. So I take down his number plate and start writing a description of him and my version of what happened.

But we had a trick up our sleeve... my co-worker got back from cleaning the car wash and went out to talk to the SC. After that he moved his car to another pump, continued filling up, and paid both in full.

My co-worker said that when she got there, his complaint changed from "it said $19 as soon as I picked it up" to "the display flickers and I can't tell how much I've put in".

Or in other words, as soon as he realised somebody could verify (or otherwise) his story, he started telling the truth.

(We put out of order signs on that pump, which we would have done earlier if the night shift guy had told us about the problem. Turns out he knew about it but didn't bother telling anybody.)

Funny how stories change when they realise there really is proof one way or another.

Comment

or when he realizes you're taking down his car's information in case he drives off.
      in many states a drive-off from the gas station will cost you the driver's license

Comment

Working...
      X