This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Eireann View Post
    I just want to say here that I hate, I absolutely DESPISE, the term that has been bandied about so casually here. Not "feminist", but the other term. It is horrendous to compare a woman with anger-management/control issues to a group of people responsible for the slaughter of millions. If I had my way, the term that has been used so lightly here would not exist.
    I've opened a topic on fratching for just this discussion

http://www.fratching.com/showthread.php?t=672

Go go gadget...fratchingers?
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I am a feminist and I love doing laundry

I find methodical, mindless chores relax and calm me because I can zone out for a few minutes and give my brain a rest.

We had that sort of opinion reversed at the craft store, one of our staff was a teenage male, he wanted to be a clothing designer and could run rings around me in the notions department (zips, buttons, sewing needles etc)

and yet customer after customer would roll their eyes in disgust that they got stuck with the guy, even when he obviously knew what he was on about. They would quite often say things out right to his face, "well your a male how would you know" or check with another one of the girls we had working there in front of him

of course because hes a male he couldnt possibly know about sewing or crafts right.... its not like some of the top designers in the world are ... gasp MALE
      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Heck, even I can sew. Not desperately well, but I can make a burst seam hold together for a few more months, or re-attach a button.

Comment

Just when you think sexism has gone the way of the Dodo bird you get some jerk like that saying what he said.

Comment

Quoth RedRoseSpiral View Post
            Music Mo-Gal isn't saying that wanting equal opportunity is sexist only that if Seraph believes that women should have it then she is a feminist.
            Yes, Exactly.

Comment

Or just shock him by saying "Oh, no... he does the laundry. I'm usually busy working on the car engine." or something like that.

then again the only people i know of who seriously LIKE doing laundry are Dr. Horrible and Penny.

just dare him to say that to his wife.

Comment

yah i hate it when that happens,

i have worked as a mechanic for a few years (i cant do it any more due to a medical issue) however i still work in an auto shop.

when i was a tech i would occasionally get people that wouldnt want me to work on their cars, or snide comments about me being a woman.

years after i was no longer working as a tech, i was talking to one of my clients about an issue that he was having with his car, and that his mechanic was having problems figuring out what was wrong. so i go through the symptoms and come up with a suggestion to the problem.

the next day he comes up to me and says wow you really do know your stuff, after i suggested what you said they found the issue right away, and the guy says to me wow your friend must be one smart guy, maybe i should hire him to help out around here, so i told him that you were infact a woman and he just acted shocked as if no woman would ever beable to figure out something like that.
                "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

Comment

Working...
                X