This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuts!

Now we all know that some people have or shop for people with serious nut allergies. A few days ago we had a really stupid customer come in and buy stuff for her child who has said allergy.

The SC comes in and looks at our muffin/pastry/dough nut display, ignoring the signs on every door that say our products may contain nuts. The SC selects several muffins, one of which was Banana Nut, topped with walnuts and gives it to her child. Well, said child gets sick and supposedly goes to the ER.

Now, let's count the ways this customer screwed up.
    1. Buying a muffin that clearly has nuts on it and in it's name
    2. Ignoring the signs that say "These products are produced in a facility that handles nuts"
    3. Not asking anyone to see if it his not or to check the ingredients books located for customers perusal.

And finally, blaming us for her mistake.

Our GM refereed this to our Corp. office.

Um.......

Uh.......

Well........

Nope. I can't come up with a single valid explanation.

I call Shenanigans! Get the broom!
    Oh yeah? Well I have a few words for you! Like YOU, and ARE, and A MORON!!!!

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
      And finally, blaming us for her mistake.

Our GM refereed this to our Corp. office.
      I am waiting for the other proverbial shoe to drop. That being the corporate office paying the hospital bill and issuing a new policy that any customer attempting to purchase a bakery item must first be warned by the employee handling the transaction that the item may contain nuts, wheat, soy and milk AND that any of those ingredients could cause allergic reactions in people, and then be asked if the customer or anyone to whom the customer intends to serve the item ever has been diagnosed or experienced allergies to foods.
      "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
      .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
        I am waiting for the other proverbial shoe to drop. That being the corporate office paying the hospital bill and issuing a new policy that any customer attempting to purchase a bakery item must first be warned by the employee handling the transaction that the item may contain nuts, wheat, soy and milk AND that any of those ingredients could cause allergic reactions in people, and then be asked if the customer or anyone to whom the customer intends to serve the item ever has been diagnosed or experienced allergies to foods.
        It wouldn't surprise me if that happens, not out of spinelessness, but moreover as a legal way for them to CYA with the SC's (stupid in this case) that don't read or at least bother to ask if a certain food or two might have ingredients they are allergic to and try to sue for their own lack of common sense.
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

A horrible alternative: Maybe she did it on purpose?

So she could have an excuse to sue and get money?
          Some horrible form of Munchausen's Disease by proxy?

This is the only other explanation I can think of. Because if she missed the signs and the well labeled BANANA NUT bin by accident, then I still weep for humanity.
          "I, too, am saddened by the lack of hookers in this thread." -LingualMonkey

Comment

Quoth Nakajo View Post
            A horrible alternative: Maybe she did it on purpose?
            I think If she tried to sue, I'd make certain she was reported for child endangerment. There is NO way that a parent with a child with a known nut allergy would miss something that obvious, and if she did do it on purpose, then she deserves to loose the kid at the very least.

Eric the Grey
            In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Nakajo View Post
              Some horrible form of Munchausen's Disease by proxy?
              Now THERE'S a term I haven't used since my Abnormal Psychology final.

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                The thing is the SC claimed the child went to the ER. So far they have refused to provided proof.

Comment

I think if it were deliberate, something that contained 'traces of nuts' would have been a better bet than something that was topped with a nut and named with 'nut' in it. If you're premeditating these things, you tend to try not to make it look like you were trying.

No proof huh? I'm betting child does not have the dreaded nut allergy, but perhaps a milder version or maybe even just doesn't like nuts, and just had a little wig-out session. Mom escalated this in her head to an ER session and reckoned the store staff "shoulda known" little Baby-Sue would be in danger from it.

Comment

All I can say is.... "So let me understand this. You bought a muffin labeled 'Banana NUT' and gave it to a child who's allergic to nuts. So... how is this our fault?"

Comment

Just remember: If it makes sense, it's not allowed™.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

They are now going to send us bigger "These products may contain nuts, etc" warning signs.

Unfortunately, SC's never read.

Comment

I'm envisioning the day when every customer will have to sign an waiver before buying any sort of food that may have any possible allergen in it (ie, all of them). I can't eat nuts. If I'm not sure of something, I ask. If I'm still not sure, I get something else.
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                          X