Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as a secretary for an appliance repair company, I must say that we get many customers with that sort of attitude. Also, you're a little lucky in the fact that you bring the appliance, install, and haul-away the old one. We only show up and put in an appliance that has been delivered through other means, and do not haul-away, except maybe to put it on the curb or in the garage or something, so people always fuss about that to our techs, too.
    "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Comment

You know, my mother is guilty of the "if you don't want to work at McDonalds all your life" line, but she would never dream of saying that in front of the employee... she also made it clear that college isn't the only education worth pursuing, that if you have a passion for say fixing cars then get as much education as possible in fixing cars so you can be the best mechanic out there (and the best paid), if you have a passion for welding get welding training, passion for computers get computer certification, etc. Granted I decided to go the college route, accounting major, because I'm good with numbers and keeping track of stuff... oh and btw, for the SCs, I can go to college because I work those menial jobs they're telling me I need to go to college to get out of

eta- to the OP, when it comes to appliances you are supperior to me... about the only things I can install are an electric stove, a fridge (if it doesn't have an ice maker), a washer and a dryer, if it involves gas or water beyond attaching a hose to the outlet on the wall I can't do it... long story short, if you can install my dishwasher or my OTR microwave you ARE more educated than me in at least one area
      Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 09-15-2008, 04:43 PM.
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Should ask that rich guy what percentage of his disposable income he uses to support the less fortunate.

I've always noticed that the people most ready to jump on your case for being uncharitable are the least charitable themselves. When I worked at Petco, we had donation drives for local animal shelters, and there were always people who wanted to know every detail-- which shelter the funds went to (which was always really, truly a local organization with real people staffing the phones who would be happy to confirm that they would be receiving a check from petco once the donation drive was over), what percentage of donations went directly to the shelters, how the donations would be used, if it was tax-deductible... and, invariably, the people asking a million questions and getting offended that Petco would DARE to keep a small percentage of donations to cover the costs of printing advertising materials and gifts for donors of $20 or more, would be the people who when offered the option of leaving a direct contribution to the shelter and bypassing the donation drive, would refuse to give even a dollar.

As for the sucky snob:

Snob: "....and that's why an education is important. You don't want to end up doing something like this for a living!!!"

You: "....and that's why manners are important. You don't want to end up with a rotten personality like that!"
        My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

While it's sucky to have not given money directly with them asking those questions, it's not unreasonable to ask. I once asked how much went to a police charity, and found out the charity itself only wound up with 15% of the entire donation. The rest went to the administrative costs. In my mind, that's kind of sick.

Comment

Oh, I wasn't trying to say asking questions is always bad-- more like asking a million questions and then finding fault with whatever the answer is, is usually a coverup for just plain being an uncharitable person and unable to just say, "I'm sorry, I'm not interested in giving to charity." I don't harbor any ill will toward the folks who do just own up to not being the type to donate, but the people who take up a ton of your time looking for an EXCUSE not to, were annoying.
            My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

You'd like me Saydrah... when someone asks me to donate something, I normally just say, "sorry, I already donated at work"... which at least at the call center was normally true, and even now it sounds better than "I already gave my money to cures to cancer fund and could give a shit if your girl scout troop gets to go camping" (yeah, I'm going to hell)
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Deliveryman View Post
                SC, Turns to her 8 yearold son and says " See Seth thats why an education is important, You don't want to wind up doing something like this for a living!!!!!!!

with the econmy going down the tubes, well established companies falling into financial ruin how many of them big high powered jobs ARE going be eliminated and those persons will now have to ask the question "would you like fries with that?"

I have a BS degree, worked in my field for 13 years making decent money. but after a while I got tired of being RIFed (through no fault of my own) so I decided to go back to food service ie. delivery driver, cook. so there are some of us that do what we do just to make a living trying to save $$$'s to get back to school and do better again. then again I may stay with this a while longer. who knows
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                X