This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Foster Wallce SC

I got to drop a whammy on a customer today. I felt kind of bad because of the circumstances but he deserved it.

SC: I need a book by Paul Foster Wallace. Infinite Jest.

Me (it's David Foster Wallace, but I let it slide): We're out of it right now, I'm afraid. We're out of all his titles.

SC (disgustingly condescending tone; obviously he can tell I'm too dumb to read Wallace's work and only read Curious George): Aren't you surprised that you're out of ALL his books?

Me: Not really. Since he passed away a couple days ago, a lot of people have been interested in his titles.

SC: He...passed away?

Me; He hanged himself, unfortunately.

SC: ....Oh.

I am sorry about David Foster Wallace but the expression on the guy's face after how he acted made me feel maliciously happy.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Ain't nothing but Powend!!!
    And the sky was full of stars... and every star, an exploding ship, one of ours...

Comment

Forgive my ignorance, but, Who? I would have to lump myself in with the 'Only read Curious George' group, then... Note to self: look into getting a book or two from the library next time I go...
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Hey, I like 'Curious George'! And 'Clifford'!

(whenever the morning news gets too much for me, I switch over to the educational cartoons on PBS )
        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I've even seen Lambchop on Qubo or whatever station that is. Now THAT made me happy.

And I did the same thing to my sister when Robert Jordan passed away and his Wheel of Time series would never be completed.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Hey, I like Curious George too, and I've never read any David Foster Wallace either. I just get pissed at people who walk into our bookstore and act patronizing when we don't carry whatever author they think is God this week.
            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

wasn't he the guy who wrote the book "fear and loathing in la" or something like that? the one they made into a movie starring johnny depp...

woops.... never mind, that guy was unter S. Thompson....i guess i was mixing up my list of authors-who-commit-suicide.

David Foster Wallace books
              Last edited by PepperElf; 09-19-2008, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                ....i guess i was mixing up my list of authors-who-commit-suicide.
                There's a lot of those, sad to say.

Last semester when I was in Russian/Soviet Theatre History, we would remember names by however said person died. Some were pretty creative, but there were quite a few suicides, especially in the Soviet period (artists committed suicide rather than work around Stalinist censorship or risk being sent to Siberia). Too bad, really. Especially Mayakovsky - interesting guy...

And there's that whole "fine line between genius and insanity" business.
                "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                  Forgive my ignorance, but, Who? I would have to lump myself in with the 'Only read Curious George' group, then... Note to self: look into getting a book or two from the library next time I go...
                  Take all the faults in Neal Stephensons writing and quadruple them. Next take out all the good stuff that makes the faults worth putting up with and you have the works of David Foster Wallace. He was a smart guy who wanted everyone to know how smart he was.
                  Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                    I've even seen Lambchop on Qubo or whatever station that is. Now THAT made me happy.

And I did the same thing to my sister when Robert Jordan passed away and his Wheel of Time series would never be completed.

It will be completed, just not by him

"The author passed away while working on the final volume, which will now be completed by fellow author Brandon Sanderson for publication in late 2009[2"
                    I used to be disgusted... Now I'm just amused

Comment

Ah, Infinite Jest. The book that made me want to run for a large dictionary- and beat myself with it. I still want those several days of my life back.
                      NPCing: the ancient art of acting out your multiple personality disorder in a setting where someone else might think there's nothing wrong with you.

Comment

heh... at least i didn't mix him up with Sylvia Plath!

Comment

Working...
                        X