This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something for Nothing: A Price-Match Scam Attempt Gone Wrong

For those who may not know, I still work for a major electronics retailer. My company does not take trade-ins on any electronic item. We'll recycle your old stuff for you, but you can't bring something in, drop it at the service desk, and expect a discount on a new one. Corporate has just chosen to not get into that particular market.

Nevertheless, we have people who want to exchange a 7-year-old computer for a new one or get some sort of store credit for their old dishwasher or something along those lines. Yesterday, though, brought a trade-in customer with an interesting twist.

I was sitting in the break room, watching some sporting event on the TV (though I was not really cognizant of anything other than the flashing colors) and enjoying some cookies my wife had packed for me the night before. Over the employee radio headset system we have, I heard the following...

Jenn = A relatively new girl at the Customer Service desk
    Daisy = Customer Service supervisor who was in her office doing paperwork at the time
    Keep in mind that the customer referred to in these exchanges can only hear Jenn's statements. What Daisy says goes into the employees' earpieces throughout the store, but most customers can never hear what's coming from them.

Jenn: Hey, Daisy?
    Daisy: Yeah?
    Jenn: I've got a guy here returning a Wii and some games, and he wants to know if he can just exchange it for an X-Box 360 instead.
    Daisy: Sure. Just do it as store credit.

Jenn: Does anyone know if we price-match Local New and Used Video Game Shop?
    Daisy: On new stuff, we do.

Jenn: This guy with the Wii exchange says that Local New and Used Video Game Shop has the 360 he wants for $100 less than we do. Can we match that?
    Daisy: Ask him if it's new or used.
    Jenn: He says it's new... Oh, he says it's new, and their price is actually the same as ours, but they were going to give him $100 off for trading in his PlayStation. Can we still match that?
    Daisy: No.

Jenn: This guy with the Wii exchange wants to know if we'll give him the $100 off the 360 if he brings the PlayStation in and trades it to us.
    Daisy: You mean he doesn't even have the PlayStation with him?
    Jenn: No.
    Daisy: Only if it's new-in-box, and only if it's in our system. Then he can turn it in for store credit.
    Jenn: He says it's used.
    Daisy: Then, no. No price-match and no trade.

Jenn: The guy with the Wii says he's just going to return the Wii and go over to Local New and Used Video Game Shop to get the 360 there.
    Daisy: Good! Let him go!
    Jenn: Well, he wants to just use his store credit from us there instead of having me give him the cash refund. Can he do that?
    Daisy: He can try, but Local New and Used Video Game Shop won't accept it.
    Jenn: Oh, okay.

Jenn: Can I get the MOD to Customer Service, please? I have a gentleman here with questions about a Wii exchange.

At that point, I had to go back to the computer department, and it got really busy until it was time for me to leave, so I don't yet know the end of this story. But, to summarize, a sort-of competitor of ours offered to give him $100 off an X-Box 360 if he traded in a used PlayStation (probably PS2). He came to my store to return a Wii console (for reasons unknown to me), then tried to get us to price-match the competitor's offer without trading in his PlayStation. Then he wanted to use our store credit at another store, got mad when told that wouldn't work, and demanded a manager.

Stupid? Scammer? Stupid scammer? I can't decide.
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

Stupid? Scammer? Stupid scammer? I can't decide.
    I vote option d) lazy-ass entitlement whore
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Why would you return a Wii? That thing is freaking awesome!
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

My head hurts now...I feel sorry for Daisy, really I do.

I want a Wii...it's on my list after paying off a few pesky bills first.

Comment

So, your store credit won't work at another store?

Wait, does that mean that you're not the same store?

Aren't all stores in the area owned by one company and controlled by computers that convey information instantaneously and keep track of my purchases? Does that mean you don't know what my favorite drink is? My shoe size? The last time I bought condoms?

WELL THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE!

(I think that guy went from scammer to stupid scammer to stupid lazy stupid scammer stupid.)
          "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
            Why would you return a Wii? That thing is freaking awesome!
            Eh, it looks all right but I'd rather go with a 360 myself. The Wii is certainly one of the more impressive systems out there but X-box 360 has GTA 4 and Morrowind.

Comment

Ohhh stupid, stupid scammer. Nowhere will give you $100 for a PS2, not even running promotions has it ever gotten over $80 in the last couple months.

Trying to use one store's credit at a competitor's store...sigh.
              Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

Quoth marty View Post
                Trying to use one store's credit at a competitor's store...sigh.
                and those people are the reason using my credit card is such a PITA sometimes... it's a best buy rewards credit card... without fail people think I'm trying to use a Best Buy gift card when I hand them my credit card
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

What really bothers me about this tale, is that Daisy sat in the office the entire time. You mentioned that Jenn was new and from the first radio call, everyone should have had bells going off in their head that this was a scam. Ugh...more bad memories of Best Buy. I swear, when I worked there, the store could have been on fire, and the MOD's wouldn't come out to see the commotion.

Olive juice you too.

Comment

Probably just one of those situations where you would swear the question you're asking now is the end-all of the entire situation if you can only get a quick answer. But then you relay the quick answer and they have another clearly-an-ending question.

Been there, done that, played that game.

Comment

Working...
                    X