This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It finally happened... I finally snapped

It was a long time coming, but today I finally snapped and yelled at a customer. I made the mistake of letting the bastard get to me, and as a result the whole rest of the day went down the drain.

Before I'm judged. I've been under a lot of stress lately. Between being a full-time student and having a full-time job plus personal problems that keep coming up, it was bound to happen.

So I was stocking the shelves this morning, when I see two guys by the stereos in Electronics, cranking them up and down over and over again. This of course irritates me already, because people do this every weekend. After a while they stop.

I suddenly hear someone running. I look over, and one of those idiots is running and holding a boogie board, which he drops and jumps on as if he was jumping on a skateboard. He almost fell and landed on his ass, as the board stopped the minute he jumped it. I yelled at him, " Don't jump on that. What the hell is wrong with you?" The idiot just walks off. After I put it back, and the Layaway CSM comes out to try and calm me down the guy's buddy yells sarcastically as they walk away

"You have a nice work day sir". I let it get to me. I shouldn't have, but I did.

Quoth Rocko View Post
    So I was stocking the shelves this morning, when I see two guys by the stereos in Electronics, cranking them up and down over and over again. This of course irritates me already, because people do this every weekend. After a while they stop.

I suddenly hear someone running. I look over, and one of those idiots is running and holding a boogie board, which he drops and jumps on as if he was jumping on a skateboard. He almost fell and landed on his ass, as the board stopped the minute he jumped it.
    Sheesh, do you work at a store or a preschool? That kind of behavior I'd expect from silly, spoiled toddlers. I presume these two morons were at least teens or older? Certainly old enough to know how to behave out in public.

People always say, "Don't let the jerks get to you." I say, "How the heck do you not let the jerks get to you?" Especially when you're the one who cleans up the mess and receives the abuse.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

a word of advice...act your age.

I did this the other night, only I didn't really flip out at said customer. Just some words of advice, and sent them on their way. They worried over $1 lost, when they could've lost much more.
      HI, I'M NEW TO ALL OF THIS wave of approval ™©®

Comment

Quoth Rocko View Post
        Before I'm judged. I've been under a lot of stress lately. Between being a full-time student and having a full-time job plus personal problems that keep coming up, it was bound to happen.
        Oh man can I understand that. Having classes all day Monday to Friday, then having to work right after class, barely getting any time to work on class work thats due, working a lot but still feeling poor after paying the rent, phone, internet, and then stocking the fridge... It's a never ending pile of stress.

Comment

Quoth Rocko View Post
          Rocko, dear, I don't think you will be judged here...there are a lot of personalities on this board and by far this is the nicest message boards I have been on.
          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth Rocko View Post
            Before I'm judged.....

I judge you...human....and a retail worker..welcome..the sentance to be handed down is-milk and cookies, maybe a brownie or two and if over 21 the adult beverage of your choice, if under 21 then it's non-alcoholic equivalent.......

we all have days that are less than perfect-those of us in the customer service fields can't be chipper little automatons every day.....and neither can anyone else

BlaqueKatt-dammit now I want brownies.....
            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
              I judge you...human....and a retail worker..welcome..the sentance to be handed down is-milk and cookies, maybe a brownie or two and if over 21 the adult beverage of your choice, if under 21 then it's non-alcoholic equivalent.......
              Wait...what happened to free tequila for the kids?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Flipping out.

Don't get too concerned about it there. Myself, I flipped out on a couple coworkers, the situation is this:

I take calls for electronics websites. All nice and good, as we answer a lot of questions pertaining to the products we have. Problem is that I am the only person who has an iota of knoweledge when it comes to electronics(they don't screen for people who knows what they are doing here).

A rep who has been here nearly a year and always asks me for information on electronics was asking me the same questions over and over while i am trying to help a customer. I tell him what to look for for his customer, and he less than 5 seconds later asks me to do the search for him. "fine." i do the search, and tell him what he needs, then back to my customer. i get another tap on my shoulder, and this rep NOW asks me to pull up the technical information and answer his question.

i calmly tell the customer i am with to please hold and tell the other rep that if he doesn't STFU and do his job instead of making me do it for him, i would rip his head off, shit down his neck, and serve his dead body for thanksgiving dinner. The rep looks at me, then tells his customer that he doesn't have the information he needs and hangs up on him. I finish dealing with my customer, hang up, go into aftercall, and at the top of my lungs yell...

"You whale-eating moron! I hand you everything on a silver platter, all you had to do is press the tech tab and answer his question to sell him that damned thing, and you *%##*%^ hang up on him? You have got to be the biggest, dumbest, most brain dead farty little smeghead that I have ever had the misfortune to encounter!"

The rep looked at me, ashen faced and trembling. My supervisor calls me into his office and after explaining that I give him everything he needed, save for pressing the mouse button for him, he hangs up on the guy saying he can't help him. The rep got a stern talking to about relying completely on someone and not doing his thinking for himself.

I did get written up for yelling, and have to be on my best behavior for a while. Time for an ax.
                I did not sell my soul to Satan. He does have a long term lease with the option to buy.

Comment

You yelled at someone who was doing something potentially harmful to themselves, others, and store merchandise. I don't see what you did wrong at all, and I don't think it should be counted as flipping out. You did what most everyone would have done in that situation.

Kibbles

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                    Rocko, dear, I don't think you will be judged here...there are a lot of personalities on this board and by far this is the nicest message boards I have been on.

My thoughts exactly. I'm guilty of snapping at a few customers back in my retail hell days myself. Sometimes it's impossible not to, they just get to you so badly.
                    "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                    ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

rocko, i think just about everyone, if not everyone, can fully relate to your situation; i came damned close to going off on two or three yesterday myself!
                      look! it's ghengis khan!
                      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Rocko View Post
                        I suddenly hear someone running. I look over, and one of those idiots is running and holding a boogie board, which he drops and jumps on as if he was jumping on a skateboard. He almost fell and landed on his ass, as the board stopped the minute he jumped it. I yelled at him, " Don't jump on that. What the hell is wrong with you?" The idiot just walks off.
                        And if he had gotten hurt....I'll give you three guesses whose fault it would have been, and the first two don't count!

When I was at Dillard's we had the same problem with mom letting "little pwecious" run in the store. They have marble floors in the main walk areas!
                        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                        X