This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automated Change Machines

We have automated "Change Makers" on all of our check stands. Meaning, when your total is $4.50, and you give me a $10.00, I give you a $5.00 and the change maker spits out your .50 cents. We've had these things for I dunno, 10 YEARS! Yet it amazes me how many people will stand there after I hand them their bills and stare at me like I just killed their dog.

SC: "Wheres my .32 cents?!?!"
    Me: Um...in the change cup there....."

I don't know how they can miss it. It makes the hugest CHACHING sound when it dispenses.
    <sigh>
    I dunno whats worse, graveyard stocking shifts or these damn days in the checkstand!
    ....annoying
    WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Good grief, can't they hear it? Of course, I could understand if it was my dad- he's very hard of hearing, but no one else has an excuse. When the change hits that cup it's quite loud.

Comment

Sounds like the self-checkout customers who don't hear the cash dispenser that spits out bills (it makes a whirring noise), and fail to hear the register helpfully chime in, "Cash is dispensed below the scanner." They look everywhere but at the scanner, until I have to point it out to them.
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Heh. You just reminded me of these things.

Local gas station uses them, and I have to admit for the short time I worked there, I grew to loathe those machines.

Still, my favorite day was one where the machine went (to pick a word) wonky.

I'm not totally sure what happened, whether some perverse spirit opted to poke around with the machine, my manager did something; or the machine just decided that suicide was the best option.

A customer walks up, pays for gas and a coke. I key it in, push a button and then blink when the machine makes a soft gachink, but nothing comes out.

Me: Aw crap. It's jammed again. Hang on. (Taps machine.)
        Customer: (looking amused) Doesn't want to give me the fifty six cents huh?
        Me: Yeah. Probably a bad quarter in the mix. (Taps machine more).

Seconds later, we hear a soft Gablink, one quarter comes out. The customer reaches for it, only to suddenly have that machine act like a slot machine and disgorge its entire contents of quarters, pennies, dimes, and nickles onto the counter.

When it's all finished, there's a last Gachink, and THEN it drops out the fifty six cents.
        Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

We have automated change machines where I work. We only have them on the big registers, though.
          My Fanfic Page
          My Fiction Page
          My Social Group
          My Pet Social Group
          My You Tube Channel

Comment

I always have customers forget to pick up their change from the cup. If the customer's not still in the store when we notice, it goes to the charity jar. I'm definitely echoing the sentiment of "how the hell can't they HEAR that?!"
            Discourtesy Clerk, purveyor of fine hay bales, pine scented douche and stuff that's not in bins since July 2006.

Comment

Some of our self-checkout customers forget their bill change. That gets put in the coupon slot. Coin change, though, and any loose coin found on the floor or abandoned by customers (most of whom are too busy grabbing their candy and running out the door to want it; some of whom just don't want pennies) goes in the charity box. I've even told a few of the customers who didn't want their penny-change to just drop it in the charity box on their way out of the store.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I forget mine on occasion. but I'm airheaded/slightly deaf so I missed the sound, and walked out. then I realized I forgot my change (1 dollar something) and went back in. They had already put it in the charity box and offered to get some from the till but I said it was okay.

I'm much more careful now.
                Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

I like those change machines. I wish more places had them.

And those customers who don't like being touched while being handed their change would like them, too, I bet.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                  X