Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE PROCEDURE when dropping your car off for repairs.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE PROCEDURE when dropping your car off for repairs.

This was a popular discussion on my favorite mechanic's forum. I thought I'd share it here, so people not in the auto industry can see the view from the other side of the service counter. It could also be called, how not to be an automotive SC. Enjoy!

The Procedure (by Greg)

1. Call and make an appointment. Be friendly on the phone. Have an idea what you want before you call. Hang up.
    2. Show up on time. Leave vehicle for the day. Have a friend or family member pick you up.
    3. Don't call the shop to check on the car
    4. Seriously, don't call.
    5. Answer the phone at the primary number you left when we call you.
    6. Authorize or deny the work - just make a decision.
    7. Don't call.
    8. Pick up the car when we phone to let you know its ready.
    9. Pay the bill in full.
    10. Leave immediately.

IS THIS SO HARD???????????

The Anti-Procedure from Chris

1. Drive in without calling at lunchtime.
    2. Demand car to be looked at right away.
    3. Leave car but end up mad that car couldn't be looked at right away.
    4. Call within an hour to ask how everything is going.
    5. Complain about price given at upsell and question every diagnostic result given.
    6. Tell service advisor that you'll get back to them.
    7. Call back the next day to tell them to only do part of the repair.
    8. Come to pick up car at least one day after its finished.
    9. Pay bill with one check and two different credit cards and ask if they can hold your check till the end of the month.
    10. Find any other prior existing problem and call the next day to complain that this new work caused it.

How much mischeif can one SC cause, anyway? By Automan Empire

1. Park halfway across the driveway before opening, so long before that you and your buddy have wandered around and stared at everything there is to see and then some, so you are beyond antsy and ready to leave when I arrive.

2. Greet me by asking if I remember the car as I dash across the boulevard in rush hour in the rain. Never mind Hello, or even Can you hear me over the din of traffic while running 25 feet away.

3. Listen patiently as I ask you to pull the vehicle into a particular spot between two cars after I open the gate and pull the truck out. Pull the car right in before I can even start the truck, leave car diagonally nosed 3 inches into spot I requested and in the way of said truck. Stare at me in the driver seat fuming, until I have to burst out of the cab to tell you to move.

4. Listen patiently as I ask you to please pull the car all the way into the spot I indicated before, so that the next driver doesn't park right in the way, which I point out. Pull car into spot. Set your donut and drink on car parked next to yours, which is worth several times more than your car.

5. As I pull the next car out of the lot, get back in your car and drive it over in front of the shop, right in the way of the rest of the vehicles that need to come out and the doors that need to open, right where I just indicated needed to be kept clear. Look hurt as I have to storm across the lot needlessly to tell you, yet again, not to park in the way.

6. The guy who is waiting is not a party to this transaction at all, but make sure he follows the busy service manager around like a no-see-um, and acts both bemused and irritated that said manager has to keep telling them how to not be a PITFA, by standing in the way of moving vehicles, peering into other people's cars, asking pointless questions about repairs in progress on random cars, asking how much we're asking for cars that belong to customers, etc.

7. Now that another, more sensible customer has pulled into the spot you vacated, take a very long time to understand the directive to park behind that car now. The clock is really ticking now; employees and more customers are pouring in, and you're talking slowly like the teachers in the Charlie Brown cartoons; other people are frozen in strange poses, and birds are stopped in midair as your syllables ease out.

8. Lean against the same car I just took your drinks and s#$% off of. The rivets in your jeans couldn't possibly scratch this $35,000 machine down to the primer without you even noticing, or me until the owner lividly points them out later.

9. Insist that we already diagnosed the problem as a wheel bearing, while describing a non-wheel-bearing sounding symptom that you want fixed today, and ONLY that. Expect a fresh complete look today for free though, when you bought one out of 18 recommended repairs last time, which has now been months and thousands of miles. Remind me what a good customer you are.

10. Throw something in about the fact that it is almost Christmas sometime around when the inspection estimate is presented. Find plenty to ramble on about, as it is sprinkling harder and harder, and the other customers are waiting patiently, out of the way, pen hovering over the signature line which is the last step before I'm done with the write-up.

11. Tell me to have a good day in a kind of condescending way, now that I am running behind and rather wet from the rain, and blatantly acting rushed with you.

12. Call two hours before I told you to, interrupting the flow of work INCLUDING YOUR OWN, and go into the whole round of why haven't you finished even looking at it yet, etc. instead of just saying oh okay call me when you know the way normal customers do.

13. After having said at least twice each time we talk that you MUST have the car back today, which we move heaven and earth to successfully accomplish, don't pick up the car until two mornings later. Early. With a different numpty of a friend driving you. Goto 1.

-Automan
    Last edited by Automan Empire; 11-01-2008, 04:42 AM. Reason: Clean-up on aisle 5
    Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

God I hate customers.

You know what? I've been responsible for taking a car in to be looked at all of 3 times in my entire life, and yet that first list makes perfect common fucking sense to me. How could common sense and/or politeness dictate otherwise?

God I hate customers.

Comment

How can one person be SO annoying?! I'm sorry you had to put up with that.
      "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

I've called the mechanic a couple times to check on my car

Though, this was when I was told he'd get back to me by the end of the day, and I ended up missing the phone call, because he called the house phone which doesn't have an answering machine. Which is listed as the primary number for my entire family, even though I told them to call my cell phone if they're calling about MY car, but whatever.

Which means I had to call him back the next morning to find out what was up...

but I'm sure that's different than calling in an hour after you drop the car off, without giving them a chance to even try and call you

Our mechanic was always cool about dropping off the cars though. We'd just call the day before, tell him what's wrong, set it up for the next day. Then we could just go by in the morning before they open, park the car outside the shop, drop the keys through the mail slot, and leave.
        He'd let us do the same thing with the check when we payed too.
        He was a nice guy
        <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

LG, the only reason the mechanic called that number would be because you gave it to him. Don't feel like the lone ranger, though.

I designed my work orders to be unusually clear (as work orders go) about the phone numbers, with places to write 1st phone, second phone, space for from/till times, and pager/voicemail. At least once a day, someone will busily fill out all 3 spaces, ignoring the from/till times, then when they are finally leaving and you start talking to the next customer who has waited patiently through a lot of needless chatter, will burst back in and interrupt the conversation with, "Oooooohhhhh, let me give you the phone number where I'll BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!" Honestly, why do people even write their home number when they won't be there till after we're closed?

And really, men: REALLY don't give your home number if your wife is there, but she doesn't make the decisions. It really sucks to spend 15 minutes explaining everything we found, and answering myriad questions, only to be told, "Okay, now please call my husband. He's the only one who will decide what gets worked on."

On that note, a lot more women make auto repair decisions now compared to when I started in this biz 23 years ago. Over 50% of the decisions are made by women now, and contrary to popular belief, we don't try to rip them off and find them far more pleasant to deal with then men who really know nothing about cars but feel a macho need to act as if they do, which usually results in unnecessary aggression on their part.
          Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Comment

This is a good thread, although I have to admit one thing. I myself am guilty of calling to see how much longer it will be, but only after the time promised to me has passed. In fact, I did it yesterday on an oil change and tire rotation. I was told it would only be two hours max after I politely asked. He looked very busy, but still said he could fit me in. This place made no money off of me, being I have a free tire rotation since I bought the tires from them. Also, I had a coupon for a free oil change. So, they told me two hours, and I gave them three without a call. Finally, I called and was told the car was just being lifted up! Ten minutes later, they called me back to try to get me to get a coolant flush (which I did myself about a year ago) and other things I did not go there for. After I declined this, they called me thirty minutes later to tell me it was ready. So, it took an hour and a half longer than promised.

My guess on this was being they were not making a cent off of me, they didn't need to hurry with my vehicle and figured I could wait. It was OK being I have my wife's car, but still............there are times you have to call the mechanic, but after a reasonable amount of time.

Comment

Quoth Automan Empire View Post
              LG, the only reason the mechanic called that number would be because you gave it to him. Don't feel like the lone ranger, though.
              No, it's because me, my parents, and my sister all brought our cars there, and I was the only one out of the four that didn't use the house number as a primary number. So he just always forgot and went with the number he knew off the top of his head
              <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                This is a good thread, although I have to admit one thing. I myself am guilty of calling to see how much longer it will be, but only after the time promised to me has passed.
                Yep.

Where I get my car worked on, they tell me what's up, how long it should take and then I get someone (usually, otherwise I'm stuck waiting) to pick me up. If they tell me it's going to take 3 hours, or 4 hours and they haven't called 5 or 6 hours later, I'm going to call. If it's getting close to the time they close, and they haven't called, I'm going to call.

They have both my cell phone and the house phone. Last two times, I've been given the "I was just finishing up your paper work" line. I don't know if it's true or not, but whatever, I get my car.
                you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                  This is a good thread, although I have to admit one thing. I myself am guilty of calling to see how much longer it will be, but only after the time promised to me has passed.
                  Me too. Did it last week when I had to leave my car to get the engine light checked out. But they said they should be done around 4 and I hadn't heard anything so I called at 4:45, 15 minutes before I normally leave work. Mostly I wanted to know if I would have time to go to my apartment before I had to pick it up, or if I should just stay late at work and get some stuff done, which is what I ended up doing. (My apartment is 30 minutes from work, and the car dealer is about the same from work and from my apartment, so...).

Speaking of contact information, I bought my car 6 years ago. My parents bought a car about a year and a half ago from the same dealer. For some reason, after they bought their car, my car suddenly also belonged to my dad, according to their records, so when I brought it in for service, they would call my dad, and all the coupons and reminder cards and whatnot also went to my dad. The finally got it straightened out about 2 months ago.

When I called last week, my dad happened to also have his car in for a recall on something with the seat, which they apparently had to send out for a part and my dad had a loaner. When I called to check on my car, they connected me to the wrong service advisor, who said something about the seat and sending out to California for the part, and I was like, "uh...no...I was having my engine light checked out..." That's when he realized he was looking at my dad's paperwork and he transferred me to my advisor.

Also, I like the word "numpty."
                  Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 11-03-2008, 02:49 AM.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

The only time I've called a garage about my car's status...is when it started getting close to 5, and I didn't have a ride home. Usually though, the car was already done, and they hadn't called yet. At least it was only a 2-block walk to the garage. Pick up the car, and drive home.

Of course when the MG went in for a service recently...there was quite a bit of phone tag involved. I'd dropped the car off to get a leaking fuel tank taken care of. No big deal really...replace the fuel line and fittings, and all was good. Or so we thought--turns out the *other* line had failed as well. Shop wasn't sure if they should fix it as well. They called me in the car, I couldn't answer...because trying to hold a phone and shift gears, well, isn't happening. Rang them back, told them to go ahead...ended up collecting the car after dinner. Took the long way home, and yes, some spirited driving was involved
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

My apologies to any mechanics I've had to call unnecessarily.

See, whenever one of our company trucks goes in for a repair, I get orders from my boss to call and check several times before the repair is finished.

8 am

Boss: Call *mechanic* and see if the truck is ready.
                      Me: (calls *mechanic*) I'm Norton from *company*, checking on the status of our truck.
                      Mechanic: The truck that was just brought in a half hour ago? No it's not ready, but it will be ready late this afternoon. I'll call you as soon as it's done.

11 am

Me: But they said it wouldn't be ready until late afternoon...
                      Boss: I asked you to call, not question me.
                      Me: (calls *mechanic*) Norton again...
                      Mechanic: No Norton, it's not ready yet-
                      Me: I know, it'll be ready late this afternoon. I have to call anyway.

1 pm

Me: *sigh* Sure. (calls *mechanic*)
                      Mechanic: Still not ready. I told you I'll call you as soon as it's done.
                      Me: I know, I believe you. I have to call anyway. Sorry.

This happens whenever we take something in for repair.

Comment

Working...
                      X