This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth chinashirtgirl View Post
    I was just going to say.. I'm not sure how it works in the states but here every day you work a bit of your paycheck goes into the state pension, then when you retire you get the money you've paid.
    Not like that. When it was set up the mean life expectancy was 65, so half the people never collected. Now days it's just a ponzi scheme. Current retirees get everything they put in plus interest after 4 years, after that it's welfare (actually with the new prescription drug additions it is probably more like 3 years).
    Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Social Security was actually running massive surpluses each year until recently. The only problem is that Congress raided the surpluses and spent it elsewhere, leaving Social Security with mountain of IOU's.

The money to pay for all current and future retirees has been collected by Social Security taxes...its just that Congress spent it on other stuff.

Think of it as you putting in money to a 401k. The guy at the bank has been spending that money to finance going on vacation. You finally retire, the money isn't there, and the bank guy plays dumb. Thats what Congress has done.

Comment

Okay, we're WAY in to Fratching topics, so bring the topic back to the SC, and no more opinions about SS of any type, or what's been done to it, or if it's good, or anything. Remember, the site's Customers Suck!

Thank you, and we now return you to your thread.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth TruthHurts View Post
          She pointedly turned her head away from him. He and I exchange a WTF look and I finish ringing her up. She goes to the microwave to heat up something and he buys a couple of lottery tickets.

"How dare he use his social security checks to buy lotto tickets. That's why I ignored because I knew what he doing."
          I'm a tad confuzzled...how did she know what he was going to do before he did it? Unless she knows the guy, hates him and just wanted to be vindicated in her unreasonable wrath...

Meh, I don't see anything wrong with buying a few tickets (hell, I'll do it at times if the payout seems worth it; the state-run games here have a 'second chance' drawing). The ones that tick me off are the scratch-ticket worshipers who want 158900 tickets and then take up the entire register area fussing with them (isn't that what the little freestanding lotto-ticket counter off on the side is for?).
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
            I'm a tad confuzzled...how did she know what he was going to do before he did it? .

He was holding one those plastic lotto holders that you put those pick your own number slips into.
            My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

Ah. I've never seen those...
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
              X