This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restaurant woes...

It's nights like tonight that make me seriously wonder why I am still in the food service industry.

My first party tonight was two barfly asswipes. They come in at a few minutes before 5. Happy hour is 5-7. They order two Buds, and ask if it is happy hour yet. I tell them no, not for a few minutes. They say screw it, get them the beers. I do. AFTER I have rung in said beers and deliver them, they try whining about how I should give them happy hour prices since it is only a few minutes away. As the bartenders AND management would rip me a new one if I did that, I don't do that. And I make it real clear that I cannot give them happy hour prices until it is, in fact, happy hour. Still whining, they pay me the six bucks for their beers. At happy hour prices, it would have been four bucks. They were whining over two bucks. They wander off to a different part of my bar...leaving me no tip. Gee...shocker there.

Later, I get a party of 12. They ask for separate checks. I tell them that it is house policy that we don't do separate checks. (Thank goodness.) They ask if they can at least have two separate checks for the two different tables they are at. Feeling generous, I agree. I take their drink and food orders, bring them their drinks. Later bring them their food. One of the ladies complains that there is too much dressing on her caesar salad. I offer very nicely to have the kitchen make her a new caesar salad with the dressing on the side. She declines, opting instead to get a second appetizer. A second lady complains about her frozen mojito, saying there are bits of lime and mint throughout the drink. I explain to her that that is the way a mojito IS. Nonetheless, like the caesar salad before it, I take the frozen mojito off the bill, and bring her a new drink. At this point, the first complaining lady starts asking about her second appetizer, saying all her friends are finishing their meals. Well, duh, they do have to COOK your second appetizer. I bring out said appetizer, and the people ask for their checks. Without question, I add the gratuity on to their checks (parties of 6 or more we can do that). Good thing, to, as these people pored over their checks for a while, trying to figure out who had what so they can be very exact as to who owed what. Had I not added the gratuity, I have no doubt I would have gotten screwed by their cheapness.

On a good note, I did have one party buy me a beer (yay!) and I had a few good tips, but I really had to grind it out to make a decent amount tonight, as I had the worst section and barely had any tables.

Somebody shoot me.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

(Pours shot of Tanqueray.)

Consider yourself shot.

(Pours shot of Jack, drops in pint of lager)

Consider yourself boilermade...

Don't let the bastards get you down.
    "Love keeps her in the air when she ought fall down, let's you know she's hurting 'fore she keens...makes her a home."

Comment

$3 for a Bud...*sob* A pint of the cheapest bog-standard lager in the pub next to my office is now £2.10, or $3.90. No wonder I never go out to drink any more.
      A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
      - Dave Barry

Comment

BF Girl, keep in mind, I work in a tourist resort town, which is known for being expensive.

That being said, once happy hour rolled around, the Bud was only $2.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester, your posts are reminders of a life I never want to go back to.

At times, I have momentary lapses of reason and consider leaving my current job to go back to a restaurant because I could more easily plan my work schedule around school if I worked in a restaurant.

Then I read your posts and it takes me back. To double shifts - on my feet all freakin' day, the fact that hungry, drunk SCs are the worse SCs and the fact that the last restaurant I worked in, I was really beginning to show a diminished capacity for such SCs - your posts and my thoughts combined remind me that it is not a road I want to travel again. I feel for you!

Plus, since I don't drink anymore, I do not see anyway I would be able to unwind after such a job. To me, drinking heavily after such an evening is the only way to make it!
          Last edited by friendofjimmyk; 10-13-2006, 01:01 PM. Reason: added drinking tidbit
          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Oh, I bitch a lot about it, but quite honestly, I very much enjoy working in the industry. Yesterday was just a crappy day, for a number of reasons, not all of them related to work.

With the right place to work, it would not be so bad. Yes, drunk SC's and hungry SC's are idiots, but what SC's aren't? I don't want anyone to think that I hate my job, either one of them, as I don't. There are just times, as in any job, that I would rather be anywhere else. I don't think that is that much different from anyone else, to be honest.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Barefootgirl View Post
              $3 for a Bud...*sob* A pint of the cheapest bog-standard lager in the pub next to my office is now £2.10, or $3.90. No wonder I never go out to drink any more.
              I guarantee you that stuff is way better beer than Bud. Bud is closer to Babycham than it is to real beer.
              Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
              TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

American beer, for the most part, is swill. I have had some microbrew that is excellent, and Sam Adams is really good stuff. On the rare occasions I do go out for a night of social drinking, or if I buy anything, it's always an import or a dark beer.

Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch from Live at the Hollywood Bowl:

Bruce I:
                All right! Now, the reason we do this, ladies and bruces, is frankly over here we find your American beer is a little like making love in a canoe!

Bruce III:
                Making love in a canoe?

Bruce I:
                It's fucking close to water!
                Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

$6 for a beer?

Most restaurants in my area charge on average $4 for a glass of wine (and that's house brand.) A bottle will cost around $12 and up (depending on what you want.)

It's way cheaper to buy your own wine (say, $6 for a small bottle wine), order the food to go and enjoy a nice meal at home.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Knightmare View Post
                    Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch from Live at the Hollywood Bowl:

Bruce I:
                    All right! Now, the reason we do this, ladies and bruces, is frankly over here we find your American beer is a little like making love in a canoe!

Bruce III:
                    Making love in a canoe?

Bruce I:
                    It's fucking close to water!
                    Awwww! You beat me to it. Glad I'm not the only one that thought of it, though!
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
                      $6 for a beer?
                      Um, no. It was $6 for TWO beers, i.e., $3/beer. Happy hour prices would have been $2/beer, or $4 total.

$6 for a Bud? Heck, about the only places I have seen prices like that are strip clubs and sports arenas!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                      X