This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retro Suckage

Today is the day for the Grey Cup! It's Canada's version of the Super Bowl, but with crappier commercials and an actual football game. When I was looking up the kickoff time online I remembered a story from many moons ago, when I worked the sports departement at Canadian Tire.

It was the Grey Cup Sunday about 5 or 6 years ago, and I was covering breaks in Housewares. Most of the stuff the Housewares departement carried was small household stuff--mops, kitchen tools, batteries, some pots and pans, etc--some small appliances--nothing bigger than a toaster oven--and electronics--phones, CD players, VCRs, and a VERY limited selection of TV's.

I get a phone call while I'm covering breaks in Housewares, and this is the conversation, allowing for lapses in memory:

Me: Canadian Tire, Spiffy speaking.
    SC: Yeah, do you guys sell TV's?
    Me: Yes we do. What were you looking for?
    SC: Well, I was looking for a big-screen TV.
    Me: Hmmm...the biggest TV we carry is a 27 inch TV. (I think? Roughly? I can't remember. -S.McM.)
    SC: Well that's no good! How can I watch the Grey Cup on a 27 inch? Are you sure you don't carry big-screen TVs?
    Me: I'm very sure, sir.
    SC: Well, you just lost a sale, then. *click*

After that phone call, I couldn't help but think:
    1) If you want a big-screen TV to watch the game on, why would you wait until a couple of hours before kick-off?
    2) How much money do you have when a big-screen TV becomes a splurge purchase?
    3) How can we lose a sale on a product we don't carry?!?
    I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

I don't think #2 was an issue. They were probably gonna return the tv after the game.

Comment

Quoth the Gord

"Oh no! I've lost a sale for something I don't sell! A net loss of $0 for me! Oh please! Don't go!"
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth ReadyToRetire View Post
        I don't think #2 was an issue. They were probably gonna return the tv after the game.
        That would be my guess as well. I know it seems to a custom here in the US as part of the Super Bowl weekend festivities.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

If you ever wonder why some electronics places charge large restocking fees on any returned TV's, it's because of the Super Bowl renters like that.... the raw nerve that takes is quite the feat.
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
            If you ever wonder why some electronics places charge large restocking fees on any returned TV's, it's because of the Super Bowl renters like that.... the raw nerve that takes is quite the feat.
            Agreed, although one has to admire the logic and cunning of such a scheme.
            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Ahh another Canadian tire drone, I wish houseware was still as small as the one you described, they carry all kinds now like bookcases and too much crap.

Im in the pluming/paint/lighting/electrical department AKA Hardware/Repair
              Shoot, I broke my stupid stick....again.

Comment

Quoth silverskys View Post
                Ahh another Canadian tire drone, I wish houseware was still as small as the one you described, they carry all kinds now like bookcases and too much crap.

Im in the pluming/paint/lighting/electrical department AKA Hardware/Repair
                Yeah, we carried bookshelves and all of that--I just didn't bother to list EVERYTHING that Canadian Tire carries. I don't want to advertise for them, I just want to describe the story.

I started out in Sports and Seasonal (it was one departement in our store) and transferred to Parts--worked there for about 3 years at two different stores.
                I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                  Quoth the Gord

"Oh no! I've lost a sale for something I don't sell! A net loss of $0 for me! Oh please! Don't go!"
                  I love the Gord, he makes me happy.
                  Check out my cosplay social group!
                  http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

Working...
                  X