This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales from the Mailbag 2

It is time again ladies and gents for more stories from the mail bag. These range from helpful customers with a sucky supervisor to the just plain old SC's that we all love to talk about on here.

First off a bit of back story, on Monday I slipped and whacked my head on the truck step. It resulted me on crying on the ground till I was able to get up again. Finally able to get to my feet I made my way to where I KNEW there would be people and so....

Upon getting to that place I was ushered in and their manager was called who came down to feel the back of my head where he felt a large bump growing. So after a bit I was able to give them my carrier emergency number to call the office. My supervisors response... "So you want me to do what now?"

They did come to pick me up, split the route up among my coworkers, and take me to the ER where I was given the prognosis of a mild concussion. Fun...a lot of the last four months is kinda...lacking. But that same supervisor for the past few days has asked if it's time to buy me a helmet and generally raze me on falling. It was funny when I was doped up on pain killers...now however he is becoming sucky.

MINE!!!! IT'S MINE I SAY!

Walking up towards my small apartment building a little kid rushed out.

Kid: My package, do you have my package?
    Me: Sorry kiddo, no packages today. (I had picked up a couple from a earlier house so I had some on me that he could see.
    Kid: Oh...okay. *runs back inside and I go to the house before the apartments*

Kid: *catches up with me as I'm turning to walk down the steps* MOMMA says you need to give me MY package.
    Me: I don't have a package for you. Sorry.
    Kid: NO! MOMMA SAYS YOU NEED TO GIVE ME MY PACKAGE!
    Me: Kid, go back inside. I don't have a package for you.
    Kid: *miniature cat butt face and he runs inside*

Me: *grumbling and finally gets to delivering the mail to the apartment building where here comes Momma*
    Mom: My baby says you won't give him his package. How dare you!
    Me: *raises an eyebrow with a look* Mam, I don't have a package for him.
    Mom: Well whats that then? *gesturing to my bag* I KNOW you have his package.

*UPS is driving up during this and the guy watches for a second before getting the package he has*

Me: Mam, this isn't his package. Thats it, end of story.
    Mom: Well don't you know your ruining his Christmas? My Sister said that it would be delivered today cause she looked it up on the site. Cause she has a computer for the internets. (Yea she said internets.)
    Me: I don't know what to tell you but I do NOT have a package for him.
    UPS: I need to interrupt for a second.
    Mom: Can't you see I'm busy?! I swear no respect for anyone today.
    Me: We're done Mam. *I'm putting mail away to take it back to the office since she is blocking my way to the boxes* You needed something?
    UPS: Yea I'm looking for *apartment number*
    Me: That's MINE!
    UPS: *glances at me* Uh...do you have id?
    Mom: *whips out her work id with picture and full name* RIGHT HERE.
    UPS: Well um...if you could sign for this then... *blinking and trying to maybe not run*

The Mom signs quickly and rips the package out of his hand while storming back inside and muttering under her breath that we need to get things under control.

UPS: So uh...did we get confused again?
    Me: Yea...I think so.

Puppy Play

I have this CUTE puppy on my route who loves to get his ears scritched. He came running off his porch and towards me when he saw me. His owner called for him to stop and he did. Plopped right down on his butt and started to look between him and me before deciding he really wanted to see me and came running so fast he slipped on his over sized paws on some black ice, crashing into a snow pile. He quickly picked himself up, shook, and then continued for me.

He then walked with me as I delivered two houses before we got back to his. With him watching me like "Well come on slow poke" just cute.

His owner got to laugh at him for a few second and when I started off again had to scoop up the puppy who appeared to want to finish the loop with him. Perhaps we have a new official mail dog?

((More will be added in a separate post later. Must finish yummy dinner first. Puppies are giving it the look.))

Sorry to hear about your mild concussion Aethian, I hope you get better asap.

Your story about the package reminded me of a time when my mailman was really not delivering my packages, in essence doing what the SC kid/mom was claiming you were doing.

At the time I lived in a condo building with no 'front office' and with one of those small mailboxes for every unit at the end of the sidewalk that the mailman would drive up to in his truck and deliver the mail without getting out. Therefore, the mailman had to physically bring up any package and place it in front of the individual unit's door whenever he had one to deliver. I had a Priority Mail package due one time, and we just got a new mailman. I got some 'we missed you' type note in the mailbox saying I wasn't at my door for the package, when I definitely was home. I signed the slip, left it in my mailbox and expected the package at my door the next day, but alas, it wasn't there. Another (new) slip was in the mailbox saying, once again, he missed me at my front door.

Thankfully, the mailman was at another condo building up the street delivering the mail, so I went up to him and asked if he had the package still in his truck. He said he didn't, although he just left another 'we missed you' note in the mailbox. I called the local post office to complain (I wasn't being an SC, I simply asked what the problem was in a calm tone), and the next day we had a new permanent mailman who *gasp* walked up the one-flight staircase and left the package at my door.

I have nothing against letter carriers, in matter of fact my father was one for 30 years, but that guy was lazy for leaving the 'we missed you' note twice when he never even went up to my unit to leave the box. Wouldn't he have put it on the door if he really did 'miss me'? The package, when I finally got it, didn't even require a signature delivery!

/rant

"In cases of customer bathroom emergencies, the toilet itself becomes less of a goal and more of a loose suggestion." - Shamus

Comment

Where's my spy camera? Where's my spy camera? Every day for past 6-8 weeks. Here's your stupid spy camera
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
        Mom: Well don't you know your ruining his Christmas? My Sister said that it would be delivered today cause she looked it up on the site. Cause she has a computer for the internets. (Yea she said internets.)
        I have the internets too!! What a coincidence...!!

But seriously...how much stupider can you get? Demanding something to appear out of thin air. Do you keep a black hat and a rabbit in your magical mailbag too?!

Shes a jackass....

Comment

Quoth I_Hate_SCs View Post
          that guy was lazy for leaving the 'we missed you' note twice when he never even went up to my unit to leave the box. Wouldn't he have put it on the door if he really did 'miss me'? The package, when I finally got it, didn't even require a signature delivery!

/rant
          That was Purolator with delivering my laptop. I was up at 7am both days they said they tried to deliver (the 'we missed you' tags said 10:30).
          Us apartment dwellers get no love.

Comment

I live in a standalone unit that sits on top of the storage garages for three of the units. I ordered several sweaters from Target, which were shipped USPS. I got exactly one "sorry we missed you" notice, despite that fact that my husband was home at the time the mail came. And they only gave one day's notice, then shipped the sweaters back. I got one sweater that came in a separate package.

This really ticked me off. Previously, we had always had pretty decent mail carriers, like Aethian, although a few could be a bit casual about package delivery. I won't order anything shipped by USPS now.

We had one carrier who used to not deliver the Entertainment Weekly magazine. I never knew when it would show up. About 20% of the time, it didn't show up at all. I complained to EW, who apparently would do some kind of trace. Afterward, delivery would get better for a couple of months, then crap out again. I dropped my subscription after a while, even though it wasn't EW's fault.

My new carrier is lovely. Delivers packages, EW arrives every week on either Thursday or Friday, and closes the top of the mailbox so the mail doesn't get soaked when it rains.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Ow. Hope you're feeling better.

I get to play UPS delivery person today. When the driver asked me about a few roads down the highway I told her not to bother even trying to get her truck up them and since I knew the people I'd take them for her. I really feel for them this time of the year in the snow.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
              ~Clerks

Comment

How is it most people seem to be noticing that I didn't hand over a package to someone who was demanding it when it was UPS who had her package?

The packages I had, I picked up, one was for California and the other was for Ontario.

Comment

I noticed Aethian and I was just wondering why no one else had commented!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that USPS can't just leave a package? They have to physically give it someone?

I'm also surprised by how many people bitch and moan about how bad USPS is (and I'm talking here in ABQ). I've never had a problem. Including the many times that I've ordered something from Scotland or England. I usually get my packages from there in about a week. And that's going through Royal Mail, which I've hear horror stories about, too. When I send something down to Las Cruces (or my parents send something up), packages get here in 2 days, letters, usually the next day.

I've got no complaints about y'all. Now FedEx on the other hand....I've had the "sorry we missed you note" when I was sitting 10ft from the door.
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                    I have the internets too!! What a coincidence...!!

But seriously...how much stupider can you get? Demanding something to appear out of thin air. Do you keep a black hat and a rabbit in your magical mailbag too?!

Shes a jackass....
                    Heh. No sorry, the rabbit is on back order and the black hat is really blue. *grins*

I met up with her again, apparently I was of no help yesterday and that all her son can talk about is how mean I was.

Comment

Hope it's ok to go *slightly* off topic...

I absolutely LOVE my UPS guy... I work overnight, so, I am rarely able to take a package by hand. If I don't answer the door, he will slip the package between doors (if it's a book or dvd, something small), or, he will put it in my car and lock the car doors for me It's AWESOME

My Substitute mail lady on the other hand, my mail always ends up 2 streets over, and the names are nowhere near each other in likeness.... One is a persons name, 5 letters starting with an S, my street is 8 letters starting with a B No clue how she can mix that up

And Aethian, that "lady" sounds like a real biotch.... I woulda smacked her lol
                      I pirated a copy of Linux and nobody cared

Comment

Whenever I order things online, I use the tracking number at Canadapost.ca.

Everytime they say they attempt to deliver a parcel, on the website

No one ever comes to my house. I use my parents PO Box.

I'm want to ask how can they say they attempted delievery and left a card when the card is in the Box and not on my door, someone's usually home all day.

However I have to ask. I live maybe two hours at the most east of Toronto. So how can a parcel being shipped from the other side of Toronto, using ground (usually 2 days), end up being sent to Montreal, when I live nowhere even near the Ontario Quebec Border.

They send it back but it took another 2 days (5 with the weekend) since they sent it back to the processing plant on the other side of Toronto before delivering it here.
                        Last edited by deafcat24; 12-20-2008, 10:52 PM. Reason: a question.

Comment

Awww, i wanna hear more about the puppy!

And this is slightly OT but, have you ever had to deal with dogs shredding mail? Our old dogs used to. The boy started and then he taught the girl how to. So picking up the mail was fun because more often than not it'd be chewed into little spitballs. That, combined with the snooty bitch who would pick up our mail and bills, steam them open and then give them back to us scotch taped closed, was the reason why we got a mailbox with a lock on it.
                          Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                            How is it most people seem to be noticing that I didn't hand over a package to someone who was demanding it when it was UPS who had her package?

The packages I had, I picked up, one was for California and the other was for Ontario.
                            Heh, bet you get confused though when people use ISO country codes instead of spelling it out - "Hmm... ON CA, is that Ontario Canada or Ontario California" One is a rather large province, the other a medium-sized city
                            Otaku

Comment

oh the puppy sounds adorable! and i'm glad it was chasing you for head-rubs instead of trying to chase you for food.

and for your boss for being stupid over head injuries.

tho speaking of mail setups... my new apt (moving in a week or so) has the mailboxes at the entrance, not the apartments. sucky when it's all icy out, but... i won't complain cos they have a really secure format. packages that won't fit in the box go into a big box, and they leave the matching key in your mail box. if it's too big for even that, they leave it at the post office (less than a mile away) and leave a package tag in your box. and sure, it may be a little inconvenient that they won't leave them by the apt door... but this way they can guarantee it also won't get stolen, so i won't complain (much)

Comment

Working...
                              X