This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Pagan View Post
    Not Guess he didn't know that north-south interstates end in "5", east-west end in "0"?
    Oh geez, then where does I-71 go? Up/down?

Perhaps I-69 is in/out then.

**I-71 runs Cincinnati-Columbus-Cleveland in Ohio. Not sure about the out-of-state portions.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth bardicwench View Post
      Speaking of google maps... check out these directions from my city to Tokyo.

I especially love #27 where it tells me to kayak across the Pacific to get to Hawaii. And then #41 where I am supposed to kayak from Hawaii to Japan.

This was a brand-new keyboard on this here laptop when I brought it home not quite 4 hours ago . .

Just one question: how are you supposed to kayak across the Pacific Ocean to Hawaii and then upon leaving to get to Japan with a motor vehicle? Tow it behind the kayak?
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I remember this one guest who asked me for a good place to eat. I recommended a well known chain in the Pittsburgh region (Max & Erma's).

Apparently he took my advise as he stormed up to the front desk. He said that was the worst place ever and wanted a refund for his meal. (I'm thinking WTF) He was serious. I'm thinking, if the meal was supposedly that bad, the rest. should be the one refunding his money--oh well.)

I told him he could talk to the manager in the morning and apologized for the meal.

He talked to the manager the next morning and did not get a refund btw. He said we shouldn't recommend bad eating places. Whatevah!

Comment

Milwaukee is stupid easy to navigate. As long as you stay off North Avenue and the other ghetto-ish streets in the area.

You end up stopped at a stoplight there and you might have to buy your wheels back. Plus an extra charge if you want the tires too.

I kid. Only slightly.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
            Oh geez, then where does I-71 go? Up/down?

Perhaps I-69 is in/out then.

**I-71 runs Cincinnati-Columbus-Cleveland in Ohio. Not sure about the out-of-state portions.
            Oopsie! You know, I completely forgot about those. I think it's actually odd-numbered interstates are north-south and even-numbered are east-west.

Since I only ever see I-10, I-40, and I-25 (except for the part just outside of ABQ where it decides to go east until Las Vegas >.<), I forget about the others.
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

When I went to Orlando a couple of years ago I bought a map and MapQuested out the routes to all the bead stores and tourist stops I wanted to see. My rental car came with a Magellan system so between my maps and the GPS I found everything pretty easy. Except the return to the hotel - it was so new it wasn't even listed in the GPS database - luckily I remembered the exit number so I had the GPS direct me to the interstate and drove until I found the exit.

I learned very quickly to have it take me around the toll roads - I didn't expect them and started to run out of quarters.
              Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                Oopsie! You know, I completely forgot about those. I think it's actually odd-numbered interstates are north-south and even-numbered are east-west.

Since I only ever see I-10, I-40, and I-25 (except for the part just outside of ABQ where it decides to go east until Las Vegas >.<), I forget about the others.
                I got a good one for you, I 435 goes in all 4 directions. I keep having to ask "Do you want to be in MO or KS?"
                Meeeeoooow.....
                Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

Quoth ParkingWitch View Post
                  I got a good one for you, I 435 goes in all 4 directions. I keep having to ask "Do you want to be in MO or KS?"
                  Easy, since it has three digits, it is (usually) a bypass of some sort. I.e., I-275 circles Cincinnati/Covington from I-75 to I-75. I675 bypasses I-75 Dayton so you can hit I-70 without the downtown traffic. I-270 bypasses bits of Columbus and is the Haz-Mat route so nasty stuff like toxic chemicals don't pass through the state capitol. Bypasses are special, and you need to check where they go to use them effectively. Course, I paid attention in driver's ed., so its like I studied, or something.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth hotelnpa View Post
                    I remember this one guest who asked me for a good place to eat. I recommended a well known chain in the Pittsburgh region (Max & Erma's).

Apparently he took my advise as he stormed up to the front desk. He said that was the worst place ever and wanted a refund for his meal. (I'm thinking WTF) He was serious. I'm thinking, if the meal was supposedly that bad, the rest. should be the one refunding his money--oh well.)

I told him he could talk to the manager in the morning and apologized for the meal.

He talked to the manager the next morning and did not get a refund btw. He said we shouldn't recommend bad eating places. Whatevah!
                    I once got directed to Primenti Brothers. I simply do not get why everyone raves about their sandwiches. Cole slaw and fries into between the bread instead of as sides?

But it would never occur to me to bitch and moan to the folks who steered me wrong.

Comment

The M25 is the classic example of an orbital bypass. The correct directions on it are not compass directions, but "clockwise" and "anticlockwise". I think that could apply to any bypass or ring-road that forms more than half an arc.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                        The M25 is the classic example of the world's largest car park.
                        Edited for my experiences.

Rapscallion

Comment

Well, obviously. It's semi-officially known as the "orbital car park".

But that's mostly during rush hour. In the small hours you can almost reach the speed limit!

And it's a problem with London as a whole, not just that particular road. There's simply too many people trying to work in one city, and they live spread across a 40-mile radius at least.

Comment

That what I like about Japan. Car rentals all come with GPS included. So if I get lost, it's my own damn fault, and I know it.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                              Milwaukee is stupid easy to navigate. As long as you stay off North Avenue and the other ghetto-ish streets in the area.

You end up stopped at a stoplight there and you might have to buy your wheels back. Plus an extra charge if you want the tires too.

I kid. Only slightly.
                              north ave is not too bad where I use it. get off of I-43 and go east to Farwell (a well stocked bar area) when I go down there for Rocky Horror at the Oriental Theater. for the first mile or so east of the interstate the neighborhood is a bit dodgy (a bit of an understatement) but then I used to live in Chicago where youi would be luck if the tires were the only thing they took.
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                                The M25 is the classic example of an orbital bypass. The correct directions on it are not compass directions, but "clockwise" and "anticlockwise". I think that could apply to any bypass or ring-road that forms more than half an arc.
                                Isn't the M25 the one road that was shaped to form the glyph "Odegra" which, in the language of the Black Priesthood of Ancient Mu, means 'Hail the Great Beast, Devourer of Worlds' ?

Thought so.

On another note, the Périphérique has two directions : interior or exterior. It's easy two deduce that, since we drive on the right side of the road, the interior goes clockwise and the exterior goes counter-clockwise. But it always takes me about one minute two figure this out each time. Fortunately, I don't drive.
                                Last edited by Samaliel; 01-29-2009, 03:43 PM.
                                "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Working...
                                X