This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "It's Not the Same Thing..."

So today, Dude comes in with his phone. He explains that he was at another store, and his phone wasn't working properly, and the employee there printed up driving directions for the guy to our store, telling him, "We've had very little problems with this model phone. It's been very reliable. Therefore, I think your phone is just a bad phone, and if you take it here, they will give you a new one."

Well, the issue that was wrong with his phone is a speaker was out (required a flip replacement) and the download applications were missing that would allow him to download newly purchased games. (This would require a 5-minute download of the appropriate application.) I explained to Dude that his phone's issues were fixable, and it wouldn't require replacement. "But THEY said you would just replace it, that it was a bad phone!" Ugh. We reassure him this is not the case, but he seems a little weary.

The search commences for the replacement flip. Tech just got in a new shipment, so it took us a moment to find the flip we needed. In the meantime, I looked up his account and Tech noticed he didn't have the service plan. So he explained to Dude that the repaires would could $55. (Flips are NOT cheap. They cost us anywhere from $100-$200 a part. In some instances, the flip costs half as much as the phone would cost us.)

Well, Dude hits the roof. "THEY said this wouldn't cost me anything." Tech looks at the address where Dude drove from. Another indirect store, one that didn't have a service center, had sent him.

Tech explains how the service center works: We are privately owned, so the cellular company makes us buy everything outright, then they will reimburse us only the difference of what it cost us minus the fee we have to charge, unless the customer has the service plan they offer. Otherwise, we're out a lot of money if we don't follow this policy. We cannot place the claim to get the broken part replaced with a working part.

Doesn't matter, Dude just keeps repeating "Well why did the guy tell me that you'd replace it?"

Tech says he has no idea, and tries to explain again. Dude interrupts with "You don't have to argue with me. Just tell me why he told me that you'd replace it? I mean, I wouldn't have drove all the way to the middle of f*cking nowhere to this place if I'd known you wouldn't do anything for me."

Tech consults Boss, who says nope, nothing we can do about it. Not good enough for Dude who goes on, and on, and on about how far he drove (25 minutes) and how the customer always "get sh*t on." Finally he makes some remark about "the guy hiding out back there" so Tech offers to have Boss come out to talk to him.

There was more, but I didn't hear, as I went on filing and doing other paperwork. Boss talked to Dude, who finally realized that in no way could we do anything for him for free, left announcing he would be going back to the original store to demand gas money from the manager there.

Boss phoned the area manager to have that store talked to.

The kicker? After he left, Tech told me while he was working with the guy, it came to light that Dude owned a restaurant. So Tech decides to use an example:

Tech: "Let's say some customer came in and said the manager at some other restaurant said you would give him free food?"
    Dude: "That's not the same thing."

Riiiiiight.
    I may be free from retail, but the nightmares still linger.....

How did the phone break, I wonder. Do those flip parts break easily? It could be that he broke the phone himself (maybe it got wet?) and simply wanted a new one without having to pay for it or pay for the repairs. That's kind of a silly thing to expect from a restaurant owner, I take he must not work in his own restaurant a whole lot.
    This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

If what Myra calls a flap, is what we locally call the "flex", which is the cable/strip that connects both halves of clam phones then it is most possibly not his fault, these things fail like hell.

And yes, beign designed for a spefici phone model only, they tend to cost a hell lot too.
      I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Quoth Myra View Post
        The kicker? After he left, Tech told me while he was working with the guy, it came to light that Dude owned a restaurant. So Tech decides to use an example:

Tech: "Let's say some customer came in and said the manager at some other restaurant said you would give him free food?"
        Dude: "That's not the same thing."

Riiiiiight.
        Well, of course, it's not the same thing, you silly goose! Because then HE'D be the one out money! And that's just crazy talk!

YOU have to pay, and HE should get everything for free.

Can you imagine have to work for that guy!
        I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Quoth Myra View Post
          ...snip...
          Doesn't matter, Dude just keeps repeating "Well why did the guy tell me that you'd replace it?"

Tech says he has no idea, and tries to explain again. Dude interrupts with "You don't have to argue with me. Just tell me why he told me that you'd replace it? I mean, I wouldn't have drove all the way to the middle of f*cking nowhere to this place if I'd known you wouldn't do anything for me."

...snip...
          response: "Contrary to what you and my wife may believe, I am not a psychic. I can't tell you why he told you what he did because I don't know. Have you considered asking him why he told you that? Would you like to call and ask him why he told you that? Regardless of what he told you we might do, I've informed you of your options. So, would you like us to repair the phone today?"

I can't believe you told him no. Didn't you know that the SC is always right?? That's in the handbook, remember?

Comment

Working...
          X