This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Person Who Doesn't Look at the Name of the Store

I work in a store that sells "fragrant body care." (The one with "Works" in the name.)

A woman comes in and picks out like $250 of stuff, most of it breakable candle holders for the holidays. So Co-Worker is ringing her up, and I'm carefully wrapping all her candle holders, to speed things up. (For our sales segment, not because of her - she was really nice.)

As CW is telling her the total, this woman pulls out one of those frequent-use cards, where you stamp a square every visit or purchase or something.

CW looks at it and says she's sorry, but the card is for [competitor with "Shop" in the name] and that store can be found in [another mall nearby]. The previously nice woman starts screaming that we'd better honor it, because it's DEFINITELY for our store, and CW is just trying to cheat her.

CW looks at her and says (politely but firmly), this is for [competitor] SHOP (and points at the name on the card), we are [our store] WORKS (and points at the big honking sign behind the register).

The now SC went mental and asked for a manager. I went to get her, while CW just held her ground by constantly repeating herself and spelling. ("This is [our store] WORKS. W-o-r-k-s...")

Manager comes out and explains, sorry, there's nothing we can do, it's for a competitor, etc.

SC decides she will not shop with us and leaves yelling.

(CW yells after her "Thanks for shopping here at [our store] WORKS w-o-r-k-s!" I love this woman.)

I understand people don't like to be called on their mistakes (I don't), but come on. Usually when people come looking for something from the competition, I say Sorry, that's [competitor]'s product. We have something just like it over here... and they sheepishly apoloize and either look at what I have or leave quietly.

Not that bad an SC in the scheme of things, I know, but really annoying.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I swear, some people need to learn how to laugh at themselves. It will lower their blood pressure, and then they don't have to come see me. Agh.

Comment

Used to love all the people who'd come into the Chesterfield store, and ask things like "Do you guys have Halo 2?"
      You want that for your Panasonic 480C?
      "Huh?"
      "*Blank* Motion Pictures, not GameStop. We don't have video games."
      "I went to GameStop, and they told me to come here to get it."
      "No, no they didn't. Trust me, if there were two game stores in the mall, and you went into one of them first, looking for this game or that, and they didn't have it, it's highly unlikely they would send you to the other store. Not to mention, I know the guys who work regular shifts at GameStop, and know they would never send customers to my store for Games, when we're obviously a movie store! My guess is you went in to GameStop, looking for a hot new release game that's already sold out completely, and decided you'd try other stores in the mall. Or, you just came straight here because you figured: Hey, movies and video games are both made on DVDs now, right?"
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

My store changed owners six months ago.

Fellow came in with a fuel card to pay for his diesel. A fuel card from the former owners.

It took me, another manager, two or three other customers, and unsuccessfully running the card a dozen times to get him to come to terms that my store is no longer operated by the former owners. And after that ten minute or so process, he still left muttering about how we "must have done somethin'" to his card in order to make it "not work like it should."

Dark threats of legal action were made.

I told him to be sure and let me know how that works out for him.
        I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Sign of the times, mess with your mind....

I had the same problem when I worked for Dollar Tree. Only they didn't mistake us for any place else.
          I was asked about a million times a day, "How much is this?"
          I would just point at the huge signs throughout the store that proclaimed something like: DOLLAR TREE - EVERYTHING'S A DOLLAR, etc.
          Granted, we had some things that were less than a dollar, but they were clearly marked.
          A lot of the people who asked this question were regulars!
          Gimme a break. I wonder if these same people go into Toys 'R Us and ask: "Where's your toy section?"

Man, if a sign says something SC's don't wanna know, that sign may as well not even exist. But if you make a mistake ringing them up, they know EXACTLY what that sign says...in detail.
          ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

Quoth Demonoid Phenomenon View Post
            Gimme a break. I wonder if these same people go into Toys 'R Us and ask: "Where's your toy section?"
            When I worked at Batteries Plus, people would come in and ask. "Where's your 'battery' section?"

That question would usually turn out to be their "smart" question for the day.
            I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Gotta love that crap. Once, I went to the grocery store and made the mistake of thinking I had their frequent shopper card, when really I had cards from two different food stores. When I handed the guy the card and it didn't work he joked about it...I didn't get upset- actually I was pretty embarrassed- but *I* apologized to *him* for making the mistake.

And ya know what? He gave me the discount anyway.
              I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

"I'm never shopping here ever again!"

"You never were in the first place..."

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Demonoid Phenomenon View Post
                  I had the same problem when I worked for Dollar Tree. Only they didn't mistake us for any place else.
                  I was asked about a million times a day, "How much is this?"
                  I would just point at the huge signs throughout the store that proclaimed something like: DOLLAR TREE - EVERYTHING'S A DOLLAR, etc.
                  Granted, we had some things that were less than a dollar, but they were clearly marked.
                  A lot of the people who asked this question were regulars!

Man, if a sign says something SC's don't wanna know, that sign may as well not even exist. But if you make a mistake ringing them up, they know EXACTLY what that sign says...in detail.
                  I worked for FAMILY Dollar once and I got the "Why isn't everything a dollar?" question every day! I don't see brand name items being a dollar! There were two other stores dollar tree and dollar general that I'm assuming they were mistaking us for.

I've had people get pissed because brand name shampoo was like three dollars and they demanded to know why it wasn't a dollar... I've had people walk out and of course I tell them to "have a grrrreat day!" I always got some glares with that...

Comment

Quoth DesignFox View Post
                    Gotta love that crap. Once, I went to the grocery store and made the mistake of thinking I had their frequent shopper card, when really I had cards from two different food stores. When I handed the guy the card and it didn't work he joked about it...I didn't get upset- actually I was pretty embarrassed- but *I* apologized to *him* for making the mistake.

And ya know what? He gave me the discount anyway.
                    I've found most people are very willing to help you as much as they're allowed to, if you treat them decently.

I routinely mix up my Albertson's and PetsMart cards (they're the same color! Fortunately, staff at both stores are used to that mixup), and I do have to look carefully at the card I'm using to rent movies (don't want to annoy the nice Blockbuster kid with a Hollywood video card or vice versa).

Maybe other women reading this can tell me why it is impossible to find a woman's wallet with anywhere near enough card slots????
                    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
                      I worked for FAMILY Dollar once and I got the "Why isn't everything a dollar?" question every day! I don't see brand name items being a dollar! There were two other stores dollar tree and dollar general that I'm assuming they were mistaking us for.

I've had people get pissed because brand name shampoo was like three dollars and they demanded to know why it wasn't a dollar... I've had people walk out and of course I tell them to "have a grrrreat day!" I always got some glares with that...
                      Well, I know for a fact Dollar General isn't a real dollar store unlike Dollar Tree and reason why I know it because I work at a DG. Anyway I've only had maybe a few people thinking everything thing is a dollar and yep, they are were piss when they try to buy something that was over a dollar. The funny thing is that a real dollar store has signs everywhere saying everything's a dollar and yet people ask for price of stuff. Yet, you have stores that have a "Dollar" in them but do not have signs that say everything is a dollar and yet people will think everything is a dollar.
                      Yours truly, Robyn unless your an SC
                      My space
                      Facebook

Comment

Re: Dollar Tree vs. Dollar General and Family Dollar

I think part of this stems from the fact that all three stores (and other dollar stores I've seen) have "Dollar" in the name. I used to love going to Dollar Tree and All-A-Dollar as a kid because everything was a dollar. I knew this because of the stores' names. Which is why I was confused when I found Family Dollar and things were generally more. I've since learned.

...I've been reading the word "dollar" too many times tonight. It looks misspelled to me....
                        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                          ...I've been reading the word "dollar" too many times tonight. It looks misspelled to me....
                          I'm not the only one who does that? If I see the same word too many times in too short a time it stops looking like a word and starts looking like gibberish.
                          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                            I'm not the only one who does that? If I see the same word too many times in too short a time it stops looking like a word and starts looking like gibberish.
                            Now I don't feel so alone I've done that for years - either reading a word too many times, or hearing it. After a while, it starts to look or sound weird.
                            That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

dollar dollar dollar dollar dollar!

Oh good, that must be a normal thing then, I just figured I was a wierdo.

Comment

Working...
                              X