This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not The Laptop!

I'm currently teaching a beginner's Photoshop class at the Uni here. It's very beginner, as in "how do I click a mouse?" type of beginner, so I expected problems, but not like this. I have an older lady student who just seems to be resistant to learning anything about computers. I call her Sheep. Sheep tells me she just bought a brand new MacBook, and asked me to help her set some things up with it. I tell her to bring it in and we'll have a look.

Sheep takes the laptop out of her bag and opens it like a book. Sideways. And, to get a grip on the thing while prying it apart, she pushes her thumb right into the screen, cracking it.

"Oh... Is that not how you're supposed to do it?"

Is this the model with the cup holder?

Comment

lol. How are you ever going to get past "Please open a new document?"

Comment

Quoth No I don't work here View Post
        Is this the model with the cup holder?
        Doesn't it have a Card reader too, and a dietary requirement of rice?
        I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

*Says a small prayer for the poor, soon-to-be-departed MacBook*

Poor thing... it never had a chance.
          Check out my webcomic!

Comment

/cringe

poor little computer!

Comment

And THAT is why I refuse to teach people how to use computers. If they want to learn, they will learn it the way I did-by myself and asking my boyfriend if I had questions about how to fix or do something with some piece of software, but I wouldn't harass him about it, I'd ask then go back and figure it out. STD, you have WAY more patience than I do.

Poor, poor Macbook. =/
              Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

I'm lucky in that she is my only "problem" student. The rest of them really make up for it by being excited about learning and not incapable of handling technology. But this lady...

I emailed her today to see what she was going to do with the laptop (if she was scrapping it, I had someone interested in the parts), and she said that she'd found someone who was going to replace the screen for only $1000, and wasn't that awesome, and she didn't think it would be nearly that cheap, and this whole technology thing was fantastic!

... She paid $1400 for the laptop new, and doesn't even get to use it before she has to drop another grand to make it workable again, and she thinks that's fantastic? I want to live in her world!

Comment

Quoth the_std View Post
                  ... She paid $1400 for the laptop new, and doesn't even get to use it before she has to drop another grand to make it workable again, and she thinks that's fantastic? I want to live in her world!
                  Geez, I wish I had that kind of disposable income. I have a decent laptop, but it's way past its sell by date.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Poor MacBook. It never had a chance. poor thing.

Comment

I've said it once and I'll say it again.Am I the only one that gets angry that us working people can't afford these things. But the idiots that shouldn't be within 10 feet of a computer can.My dad fixes laptops and he can't count all the laptops with broken screens from people.....punching them...God I hate people

Comment

I don't hate her, she's not done anything intentionally malicious and it's her money, she can spend it however she likes. Maybe she just has different priorities. Plus she is retired, so maybe she worked very hard through her working life to be able to have the money now.

I think it's tragically funny that she has done this to a poor, poor laptop, but I'm not angry about any of it.

Comment

Yowzers!

Here's a YouTube clip that is not only on-subject, but also quite amusing. Someone's a Sad Mac (re: Sex and the City).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg6emajJmEo

Comment

When she first started cutting things up, I actually made the face. Wow.

Comment

When she gets the mac book back this will be attached to it

You really have to wonder where she got the money to pay for the computer.
                              "Wow, that has to be the best genital analogy EVER. "

Comment

Working...
                              X