This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Marathon Phonecall of Suck

Like most bad things such as the bubonic plague or a movie sequel with a number of "3" or higher, The Marathon Phonecall of Suck started innocently enough with the phone ringing….

Me: Friendly Neighborhood Towing, Argabarga speaking.
    Punk: Did you guys tow a black Saturn from the Punk Arms Apartments?
    Me: *I recognize this right away as the car I JUST unloaded…* Yes sir we did, it’ll be $105 to release it, cash, credit or debit.
    Punk: Well, here’s the problem, I live there, that was my space, so you illegally towed my car.
    Me: No sir, the car didn’t have a permit in it, it must have a valid permit displayed to be in the lot.
    Punk: And there was a permit in the car, you guys just must have missed it.
    Me: No, we didn’t miss it, the car was thoroughly checked, we checked under the sunvisors, the center console, floorboards, map pockets, there was no visible permit in that car. (permits in this lot are big foot-long neon orange paper tags cut so they hang around the rearview mirrors, even if it falls off, it WILL be visible in the car, unless they throw it in the glovebox in which case, it’s not visible now is it?)
    Punk: Well, see, I broke my key off in the uh, door, the other day, and I can’t get the door open so I couldn’t put the permit in the car, I had it tucked under the windshield wiper
    (Whelp, you just set off my BS meter, but I’ll let it slide because I’m lenient that way)
    Me: Well, there was no permit either on or in the car at the time of the tow
    Punk: Probably because one of your guys stole my permit! That’s probably what happened!
    (Okay, the BS meter is rising rapidly from “watch your step” territory to “man the lifeboats” territory, but I’m going to let it slide because I’m lenient that way.)
    Me: If someone stole it, it wasn’t us, I was the one who towed it, and there was no permit on that car, I would have seen it.
    Punk: You towed it?
    Me: Yes sir, my signature is on the sheet if you need proof
    Punk: And there wasn’t a permit?
    Me: No sir.
    Punk: It was on the ground then, you didn’t look ON the ground UNDER the car did you?
    Me: No sir.
    Punk: That’s where it was then! I’m not paying for it because you were lazy and didn’t check the ground!
    (Now the BS meter is now pegged and the needle is straining like it’s going to snap, I've had enough of this game so it's ultimatum time)
    Me: Sir, I cannot waive these fees, you need to pay the $105 or you will not get the car back, there was no permit displayed
    Punk: Because you didn’t look!
    Me: It’s unreasonable to look UNDER a car for a permit that should be IN the car, sir.
    Punk: But that’s my space! I paid $400 a month for it, I'm a resident!
    Me: I’m sorry sir, but to park there, you must have a permit up, it says that explicitly on signs in the lot and on the paperwork you signed when you rented.
    Punk: So I have to pay to get my car back from a space I pay for?
    Me: Yes sir, you do.
    Punk: You don’t think that’s a little bit ridiculous?
    Me: No sir, I don’t.
    Punk: You really don’t think that it’s ridiculous that I have to pay to get MY car back from MY parking space that I own just because I didn’t have MY permit up?
    Me: I’m sorry sir but there’s nothing I can do if you don’t have your permit up. Without it, how are we supposed to know if the car belongs there or not? That’s kind of the whole point of having permits.
    Punk: Look, stop calling me “Sir” it’s annoying
    Me: Sorry, but, like I said, there’s nothing I can do about the charges tonight, if you want to pick the car up, it will be $105, otherwise, you’ll have to wait until 8 tomorrow morning when management gets in. Right now, the only thing I can do is take payment and release the vehicle.
    Punk: Uh, can I ask you a question
    Me: Sure
    Punk: Are you always this big of a sh*thead?
    Me: Okay Sir (see what I did there?) I’m hanging up, you have a nice evening.
    *click*

Almost immediately, the phone rings

Punk: F*ck You!
    Me: *click*

Phone rings, again, this time I check caller ID and its Punk’s number

Punk: F*ck You!
    Me: *click*

Phone rings, AGAIN, it’s Punk’s number, AGAIN, I let it go unanswered, after 5 rings it stops. 5 minutes pass, the phone starts ringing again, once more, it’s Punk’s number, I pick it up

Me: Okay, this is your last chance, you swear at me one more time and this phone is going to ignore any more calls from this number, what’s it going to be?
    Punk: …….. F*ck You!

*click* *block number*

Well, I warned him. Oh, and he did pick it up in the morning, and since then, I have not seen the car back in that lot. Big surprise there huh? Resident my ass…… My internal BS meter is usually right.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

I will say this, your stories are always entertaining!

Comment

Some people will do anything to get out of paying fines....
      http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
      Melody Gardot

Comment

Quoth Panigg View Post
        That's for sure.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Panigg View Post
          Anything except avoiding the fine in the first place that is.
          A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
            Are you suggesting that a SC should *avoid* doing things which might be illegal in the first place? Don't be silly, that might actually inconvenience them!
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
              Punk: That’s where it was then! I’m not paying for it because you were lazy and didn’t check the ground!
              I didnt realize 3 year old could get a drivers license.

Maybe you shoulda also checked inside the tires or if it was hanging off a tree branch. Or wait! I know.. maybe it was taped to a stray cats back? Better yet it was actually stapled to a plane wing that happened to be flying over head at that moment? Why oh why didnt you look up?

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                Maybe you shoulda also checked inside the tires or if it was hanging off a tree branch. Or wait! I know.. maybe it was taped to a stray cats back? Better yet it was actually stapled to a plane wing that happened to be flying over head at that moment? Why oh why didnt you look up?

*bows to Amina*

Brilliant.

Comment

Considering the volume of twits you have to deal with, I'm surprised you remained so calm and polite. Kudos to you.

Oh, and at some point during the BS-a-thon, I would've said "It's not our responsibility to babysit the tenants, sir"
                  A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I love the BS Meter

Thanks for sharing. I love it when you can 'smell' the BS coming out of the phone from an SC. I don't think I could do your job, taking payments from pissed off motorists, even for their own stupidity. Especially from this dingus, who seemed a bit agitated that his BSing skills aren't up to snuff.

Comment

Dumb question here: I have almost no experience with having a vehicle towed. About 2 weeks ago, my mother totaled her car and ended up in the hospital. I was charged with going to the wrecking yard and cleaning all personal possessions out of it. I had her ID and the police report they gave her at the time of the accident. It turns out the she had never had the title transferred from my brother, but her name was on the insurance card in the glove box. The yard let me go ahead and clean out the car, but they would not let me pay the towing fee, saying that because the title was still in my brother's name, that HE had to come pay everything and sign all the papers, all at one time.

I can see him having to go in and sign the title over, so they could dispose of it. It was totaled, and we did not want it back. But not letting me pay any of the fees? Is this normal? BTW, my mom and I have the same last name, and reversed first/middle names, and we look alike. It's obvious we're related
                      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
                        But that would make too much sense for their pea-brains to handle though.

Good example of the old saying "An ounce of pretention is worth a pound of manure."
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post

I can see him having to go in and sign the title over, so they could dispose of it. It was totaled, and we did not want it back. But not letting me pay any of the fees? Is this normal? BTW, my mom and I have the same last name, and reversed first/middle names, and we look alike. It's obvious we're related
                          Seems odd that they would let you take stuff from it but not pay for it...
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                          X