This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth AriRashkae View Post
    And after it was repaired, everyone's guardian angels went and had a nice, stiff drink.
    I think mine gave up on me as I was hammering on front doors 20 yards from the leak evacuating people!
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Metal thieves could have taken out fiber optic cable as well. In this area, they've removed (old, unused) above-ground power lines in the woods and they've been known to be digging around also in search for buried lines ... If I remember correctly, a fiber optic cable was cut this way ...
      This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth karma_gypsy View Post
        Metal thieves could have taken out fiber optic cable as well. In this area, they've removed (old, unused) above-ground power lines in the woods and they've been known to be digging around also in search for buried lines ... If I remember correctly, a fiber optic cable was cut this way ...
        How long before they discover one of those "old, unused" lines is not.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
          How long before they discover one of those "old, unused" lines is not.
          Way ahead of you. Can't recall if it was summer '08 or '07, but a scrap scavenger in SW Ohio set his sights on some (allegedly unused) utility lines and attempted to get rich. He hit the 'jackpot', all right. Zero to dead in like 1/10th of a second.

Comment

The main road where i work had the water and gas lines replaced. They were both over 60 years old so it was time.

The gas company did their lines first, when the water company was doing theirs they hit the new gas line a block away from my work. It didnt explode but the workers said they had never seen two guys jump out of a hole that fast ever. They closed the road and even the gas station that I work at.

My co-workers said they could hear it inside the station with the radio up loud. Sounded like a train.

Glad it didnt explode because besides our tanks theres a few others still in the ground all around that area from stations that closed years ago before all of te laws that say you must dig up the tanks. Our bosses dad says if our tanks ever go boom there would be like 4 blocks going along with us.

Comment

Quoth Anriana View Post
              We had a fiber line cut in a certain state tonight. Here are some of the responses (heavily edited for grammar/your sanity):

"But we have wireless internet, how could a line cut effect us?"
              Because you're an idiot and technology hates you for failing to grasp at least the basics of the stuff you have hooked up in your house.
              6/16/2008: Best. Day. Ever.

Things I've Learned: Birth is not a miracle, it's a science, and science is damned disgusting. It's also really, really, cool.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                Course it was back on a little sooner than they'd predicted, but there are times when you can call about an outage and the word of one in your area may not have filtered down the chain to the customer level.
                My ISP is small enough that they know immediately if there's something down. This time it was an aggregator (?), some piece of equipment and there was someone en route to fix it and it was back in about 10 minutes.

No, the shenanigans happen to be between a certain baby bell and my ISP. There's a dispute about money (big surprise there) and they yanked the plug on the DSL service to all the customers at the end of the year. Wound up without internet for 2 days. Now, there's an injunction in place, a court date still to come, a class action suit, and the AG has ordered the Public Regulation Commission to start investigating the baby bell under RICO.
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                X