This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
    When I worked at a call center, everyone was "Sir" or "Ma'am" -- mostly because I'm terrible with names and I didn't want to look up their name.
    Yep. That was me. Rare was the call where I actually used the caller's name beyond the initial verification of address and such. I'd get dinged on it consistently.
    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

My ideal title of address is "Devourer of Souls and Hostess Snack Treats."

It isn't really appropriate for a retail setting though.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
        though most enlisted i've seen saying that are also laughing (or hiding a laugh) when they do it.

tho ... well the guys from the south tend to call all women ma'am regardless of E or O status, just cos they were raised that way.
        We Southern women were raised that way as well. Yes Sir/No Sir/Yes Ma'am/No Ma'am is considered proper etiquette here, no matter what the venue or the age of the person being addressed.

Of course, that SC in the OP would be up the creek down here if he didn't want to be addressed as "sir." I'm sure he'd like all my other choices a LOT less (those include asshole, moron, grumblebritches, walking spitcup, diarrhea mouth - take your pick.)

As far as what I prefer to be addressed as: if I had my way about it, I'd settle for Wise and Divine DGoddess
        Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 02-06-2009, 10:22 PM.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
          We Southern women were raised that way as well. Yes Sir/No Sir/Yes Ma'am/No Ma'am is considered proper etiquette here, no matter what the venue or the age of the person being addressed.
          I've found that, as a CSR phone rep, I'm much more likely to be addressed as "Sir" by Southerners, whether it's by kids or their parents. On a related note, I've had Southerners (typically women) address me as "Mr Paul" even though Paul is my first name. I found it very strange the first time it was said to me, but I appreciate that the caller was trying to use good manners.
          Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            Of course, I would never pull this on someone who crustily says, "Don't call me sir! I work for a living!" I have found it's never a good idea to piss off drill sergeants.
            My mother once told me about the time that a noncom DID say to a buck private "Don't call me sir - I work for a living!" when my father, the Captain, was standing right behind him.

Hilarity did not ensue.

Love, Who?

Comment

Working...
            X