This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dude, Hospital, NOW!

As I keep reminding people I used to work at <The Chemists>, one particular branch was smaller than others and would only have one pharmacist on at any one time, when they went for their lunch the pharmacy shut down (but the rest of the store stays open).

So, one day during the pharmacists lunch I field a telephone call. A chap is ringing up to try and get some medication, he wanted desloratadine. I did a little bit of digging and found out it was (and still is) a POM (Prescription Only Medicine).

I ask why he needs it, and he replies that his french friend has forgotten his and has eaten seafood (which is what he is allergic to). I ask the following question, it's not rocket science and it's pretty basic.

"Is there any swelling or constriction around the airway or throat?"

Now, I wasn't really expecting an answer to this, but it's one of the standard questions that we're supposed to ask and most people go "*giggle* oh no, nothing like that". So when I got the following answer I was a little shocked.

"Yes, he's saying it's difficilt to breath".

Hold on there for just one moment. Difficulty in breathing? And you're phoning a pharmacy? I advise him that he needs to go to hospital NOW, as in phone 999 and ask for an ambulance now.

Did he then
    a) Realise his mistake, immediately disconnect and phone for an ambulance
    b) Get someone else to phone on their mobile for an ambulance whilst still talking to me
    c) Argue with me for 5 minutes that all he needs is the tablet and not a hospital?

If you've chosen c), congratulations you've won a coconut.

I never did hear back from anybody, and nor did I see in the papers a report of a death (nor did I receive a summons to coroners court) so I think things worked out in the end but really, difficulty in breathing and you're wasting time by phoning me?
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

What will I do with this coconut? Shall I love it and hug it and squeeze it and name it George??

Jumpin Jiminies, how daft does he have to be?? TROUBLE BREATHING = ER. or at least, that's what flashed into my brain in big red letters when I read his reply to you.
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
      What will I do with this coconut? Shall I love it and hug it and squeeze it and name it George??
      *Considers changing his name by deed poll to George*

Yer, to say I was a little shocked that he continued to argue is a little of a understatement, but really, No breathing = A&E.

Comment

If it's for someone else, I'd sure as Hell call an ambulance on the double.

If it is myself experiencing problems to breathe... well, it'd depend on the severity. Suffering from Asthma since I was 10, I have an aerosol device with me at all times. Should I need to use it, and discover it empty, I'd try and get a replacement from my friendly pharmacy, rather than admitting myself to a hospital.

Then again, that's just me...
        I still miss my ex.
        But my aim is getting better.

Comment

So, one day during the pharmacists lunch I field a telephone call. A chap is ringing up to try and get some medication, he wanted desloratadine. I did a little bit of digging and found out it was (and still is) a POM (Prescription Only Medicine).
          Hi another chemist girl here!!

Wow i wouldn't have thought desloratadine was a script only medication - USA I assume? It's over the counter in the land of Oz, don't even have to put it past the pharmacist.

I too have seen the whole "you've come to a pharmacy for that?" routine too many times. I think the worst is when they bring in their baby that has had the runs for 5 days, has given no Oral rehydration solution to the child and has only come in now for something. I think the look on my face says it all to them - also the 'get bubs to hospital now' speil with the pharmacist makes them realise they really need more help then we can give them.
          Last edited by Broomjockey; 02-04-2009, 03:35 PM. Reason: adding quote tags

Comment

Quoth Just Ace View Post
            Hi another chemist girl here!!

Wow i wouldn't have thought desloratadine was a script only medication - USA I assume? It's over the counter in the land of Oz, don't even have to put it past the pharmacist.
            Hi there, I've been off the healthcare counter for about 3 1/2 years now so...

No, I'm in the UK, we have loratadine which is General Sales List (GSL) and can be sold anywhere, but desloratadine is POM, probably didn't help the situation any I'm sure.

Quoth Just Ace View Post
            I too have seen the whole "you've come to a pharmacy for that?" routine too many times.
            We've had people present themselves with gangrene, deep vein thrombosis (and something else I can't quite remember...)

It could be interesting at times!

Comment

The day I had my stroke, I got home from school, slumped against the coat rack in the entry hall, dropped my bookbag, and went to sit on the couch. I slowly started leaning to my right, eventually fell over on my right, then onto the floor, where my brother found me... two hours later, after he returned from school. The first thing I asked him to do? "Grab the phone, dial this number, then hand it to me..."
              Bro does so, hands me phone,m I wait for it to ring. "Hey, Bill. I don't think I'm gonna make it to D&D this weekend, I'm not feeling so hot..."
              B: "Who is this?"
              "It's Rubi..."
              B: "You sound terrible, Rubi."
              "I know."
              Bro and I stayed in the living room some four hours before the parents came home, found me on the floor, and FINALLY called 911. Never even crossed my mind to have bro do that.
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

c) Argue with me for 5 minutes that all he needs is the tablet and not a hospital?
                dang that Frenchman needs better friends. Real friends bring you to the hospital!

Comment

That brings to mind the classic about that dim bulb who called the phone company about her service when her house was on fire.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Dumb: The guy who called you.
                    Dumber: His friend who ate something he's allergic to. wtf?

Comment

Quoth SarcasticJerk View Post
                      Dumber: His friend who ate something he's allergic to. wtf?
                      As the situation in which he ate the seafood wasn't relayed, I'd say that's an unwarranted assumption. Yesterday I ate some green and red peppers, which I'm allergic to, because they were chopped up small enough, and mixed in with enough other stuff that they looked like tomatoes and other veggies, and didn't smell. I ended up having to go home from work early because of having the worst reaction I'd had to date. Moment's distraction coupled with not closely inspecting the food? It's not hard to believe.
                      Last edited by Broomjockey; 02-04-2009, 09:04 PM. Reason: missed half a sentence. Go me.
                      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                        Never even crossed my mind to have bro do that.
                        yes well I think your excused you were having a STROKE for flips sake

I assume your brother was young

My mother fell down two flights of steps once, we thought a lightening bolt had hit the house the boom was so loud.
                        She had dislocated her shoulder, hurt her knee, broken her arm in 3 places and some how damaged her little toe so badly it had to be amputated.

we tried to take her to the hospital or call an ambulance and we were given a resounding NO WAY

she wasn't going to miss Survivor and that wasn't on until 7pm and THEN we could call for help. She sat there wincing and crying through her god damned show before she would go.
                        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

My mom set her face on fire and didn't want me to call 911 and especially not my dad.

Comment

What a moron. It's like saying my friend just jot ht by a dump truck at 50 MPH and is motionless in the street and asking a convince store clerk for a Tyenaol.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                              As the situation in which he ate the seafood wasn't relayed, I'd say that's an unwarranted assumption. Yesterday I ate some green and red peppers, which I'm allergic to, because they were chopped up small enough, and mixed in with enough other stuff that they looked like tomatoes and other veggies, and didn't smell.
                              I'm sensitive to seafood - as in, I don't have a histamine reaction, I just get really nauseous and sick.

You'd be surprised how many things contain seafood and don't mention it, especially in restaurants. I've learned to be very wary about foods with sauces or soups - fish stock can be found in all sorts of things. And some ceasar salad sauces contain anchovies!

So no, I wouldn't necessarily call the friend dumb, just unlucky and not wary enough.
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X