This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Retail's Bitch
    Exactly. Some people just can't cook. I had a roommate in college who couldn't boil water. I swear to god. She would buy nothing but those EASY MAC packages, and I told her, "Well you know the KD that you boil, etc, is cheaper."

I tried to teach her how to make Kraft Dinner... I showed her how to boil the water, add the macaroni, the butter, the milk, the sauce packet... She's just dumber than a bag of hammers.
    That was the twit, all right.

She once came over for mac-n-cheese. Besides trying to turn the stove off just after I dumped the pasta in ("oh, it has to be done now!"), she got right in my way when I was trying to drain the pasta. Think holding a full pot of boiling water with just a dishtowel, and someone standing between you and the sink yakking as your skin exposed to the steam gets steadily hotter. Then when I finally shove her aside she shoves back, causing the pasta to go into the sink, boiling water on both hands, me swearing up a storm as I put my hands in the icemaker tub, and her whining about being hungry (er, I am injured and it's your fault).

I saw a scant few EBT people at the grocery store near campus who bought "sensible" stuff (veggies, meat, etc), but the majority bought a cartful of junk food--more than I could eat in a year. The scammers always used the self-checks and got belligerent when the cashier on duty called them on what they were doing (trying to sneak items that were not eligible).
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 07-15-2006, 07:39 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker
      Besides trying to turn the stove off just after I dumped the pasta in ("oh, it has to be done now!")
      Veering off-topic for a moment, I've found that the easiest and most consistent way to cook pasta is to boil the water, add pasta, bring back to boil, then cover pan and turn off heat. 10-12 minutes later (depends on size/shape of pasta), there you are.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker
        That was the twit, all right.

Then when I finally shove her aside she shoves back, causing the pasta to go into the sink, boiling water on both hands, me swearing up a storm as I put my hands in the icemaker tub, and her whining about being hungry (er, I am injured and it's your fault).
        should have finished off the pot of boiling water on her head
        DILLIGAF

Comment

Its sad that the people who abuse the system are the ones who are noticed most.

Kind of like how you get a few employees who dont give a crap and it makes all customers think we are lazy stupid mules who "cant" get a better job...

or how one lousy customer can ruin your day...and eventually for some of us, sour our outlook on people in general (myself included)
          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

To be honest, I do have a (near) full time job, and yes, I do have ebt foodstamps. I will admit, i do occasionally buy a little junk food, but mostly I use mine for pastas, lunchmeats, and stuff so I can prepare meals at home, which is what it is truly intended for. There is the occasion where i will get a sub, or sushi, but that is once in a great while.... Everyone is entitled to a small treat once in a while... in the same respect. the only reason I use this is to ensure that there is enough food for my fiance' and I to have. I have gotten the looks, from people who think Im just a snob trying to abuse the system... but excuse me for taking a shower, shaving and making sure I look presentable before I show myself in public. What I hate is the fact that people scowl when you get on the bus with armloads of groceries.... sorry, Im not about to walk 2 miles carrying all that. It does sicken me when you see the obvious abusers... but I do understand those who need it.

Comment

The biggest problem I ever had with WIC was pepper jack cheese. It wasn't WIC-approved, because supposedly kids don't like spicy foods, and a lot of people didn't get the even though your kid loves it, WIC still won't let me sell it to you.

I do get a little peaved when I see people on such programs that obviously don't need it (you can afford a new car, fancy clothes, and all that jewelry, but not food?) when I know several people who need it but don't qualify.

Comment

I was waiting in line at the grocery store late one night when a customer ahead of me started arguing with the cashier about her not accepting his voucher for baby formula. The voucher was for one type, but the store didn't have any of that particular formula in stock, and the cashier (or the register!) wouldn't allow him to purchase a different formula with it.

I thought to myself, "If the store doesn't have what you need, go get it someplace else (and be glad you're getting something for free!)."

After he left, the customer immediately ahead of me was at the register. But instead of consoling the cashier or commenting on what a jerk the previous guy was, this second customer also starts arguing with her about how she should have let the first guy use the voucher anyway! I then saw him pay with an Illinois Link (EBT) card and I thought, "No wonder."

I agree that such benefits are necessary in most cases ... but in some cases it can create an I deserve it attitude which I believe prevents some individuals from getting out of their bad situation.

Comment

Is the pepperjack cheese being non-WIC approved something new? Granted, it's been a year and a half since I worked at the grocery store, and I can't recall ever having someone with a WIC order including pepperjack cheese............that sounds interesting. But then again, we had a yearly meeting with the WIC people and they'd tell us if they added items and if there was anything else to look for.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

That makes me mad. I've been working my ass off for years and nothing ever got handed to me. Which I believe many of us feel the same. I once lived in the back of my fiance's grandparents van. Did we ever get any kind of help? No. Granted we don't have a child but I think people who are honestly trying and not just plopping out kids for the tax money or the free food should get help too.

I understand that people with a lot of children need help. And the ones who are making an honest effort to better their situation and not live off of what we earn should continue to benefit from the governments help. BUT The assholes who are mooching off of our hard earned money should just have their children taken away until they can get a job or go into detox to become a better person. Or rather the idiots I've seen shouldn't be allowed to have children and should be fixed.

I'm sorry if I'm offending anybody...

As for the card itself certain items should be limited. It should not be able to pay for cigarettes, lottery tickets or alcohol! Maybe they could just get food sent to their home. Have like a check list of what kind of food they like and have the sent to them in portions. And for the rest of it? GET A JOB.

But I do understand some people have disablilites and cannot get a job and such. I've been lucky my parents were able to provide for me and I've never been in proverty with them. But once leaving the nest, the money has pretty much gone to zero but I still managed and got back on my feet. With no help.

But anyway, there are always two stories to this and I'm just against the people who abuse our system. I'm sick of it.

To the people who are honestly trying: I wish you luck and I hope you are able to have things go your way. To the jerks abusing our system for their own sick needs: GET A FREAKING JOB like the rest of us!

Comment

The card is limited, you can only buy "non-hot" food (some states allow "hot" food from a deli).

Most people's complaint is lobster is consider food and can be bought with "food assistance". The problem is how do you tell if the person buying "expensive" food is on food stamp because they're lazy, having problem making ends meet (lost job or whatever), or can't work. The government don't make the distention.

Should the person on disability or Social Security (retired) be denied a occasional "treat"? We can't tell at the store why they're on assistance. Personally I think they should have separate cards for Social Securities (disability/retired) and those on "assistance" for financial reason. Then regulation of what can be bought by those on "assistance" can be done.
                      I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Working...
                      X