Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I didn't buy it from you but you should take it back anyway!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
    I'm fairly certain that if you contact Microsoft, they replace discs damaged in that fashion. Just takes a while is all.
    I believe this is true and like someone also mentioned, he could have EASILY gotten a replacement from Wal-Mart! Heck even I understand where the guy is coming from but unfortunately if he bought the disc at Wal-mart he has to return it there.

My store doesn't do disc resurfacing but we do sell disc repair products (go figure).

All the drama I deal with at work relating to scratched discs makes me long for the old SNES cartridges. I mean you really had to put some effort into it to fuck those up. I've seen some pretty beaten up carts that still play fine.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Circular scratches like that, as far as I know, are only cause by someone bumping the system or moving it about in a manner that you should not move a console about while it has a disc in it.

Walmart shouldn't even exchange it if the guy was jerking his console around. He WASN'T using the system as it was intended to be used.

That's why when I worked at Gamestop we refused returns on discs with circular scratches--hey, not our fault it doesn't work now!
      Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

The Guy was dumb to think that YOUR store would give him a free game that he didn't buy there.

But yea if he'd just went abck to WM and said 'hey i bought this, it's scratched can I exchange it' he'd probably get a new copy of his game no worries. (hell i returned a dvd to walmart without a receipt or anything the day after i bought it because it didn't work, i didn't have to give any proof i boguht it there just said 'hey i boguht this yesterday it doesn't work can i exchange it' fully expecting to be asked for a receipt etc. and nope they just gave me a new copy lol so it was 100% hassle free).

Anyways the issue w/the 360's is the early pics etc. showed it stood up on it's end. YOU CANT DO THAT with a 360, as the game disc WILL fall out of it's little slot (as nothing is holding it in except gravity :P.

My buddy had that happen with 3 games before i asked him 'how doyou have it set up?' and told him put it down horizontally the way it SHOULD be.

and voila. no more scratched games.
        Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
          People in BC would go to Grande Prairie, buy something there, bring it to the DC RS and get a refund.

And make 7%, because on refunds we HAD to pay the Provincial Tax back.
          Wait, you had to give them back tax they didn't pay? When I did returns with a receipt from somewhere else with a different sales tax, or was tax exempt, we just had to change the tax rate in the register. No way did they get back tax they didn't pay in the first place.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I would think Walmart would be cool with exchanging the disk. Walmart once gave me a cash refund for an MP3 player without a reciept or anything. I recivied the MP3 player, I didn't need it, I told them it was a gift and I gots me money.

Wait, does that make me a sucky customer? Maybe I shouldn't tell that story here.

Comment

Quoth MergedLoki View Post
              Anyways the issue w/the 360's is the early pics etc. showed it stood up on it's end. YOU CANT DO THAT with a 360, as the game disc WILL fall out of it's little slot (as nothing is holding it in except gravity :P.
              Same problem with the PS2, it took Sony ages to admit that using the system "vertically" would damage your games. It's an inherent problem with ANY optical disc drive that is used vertically without a disc caddy, unless I'm mistaken. iirc, the laser read head has to be really close to the disc to read it properly, enough that the movement caused by a jostle or having the system vertical will cause that damage.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                The customer used the piece of equipment in the way it was intended to be used - how is it the customer's fault it damaged the game?
                I used to own a 360 and it did indeed scratch the games if you moved it while it was running. It's not the companie's fault that he didn't know how to handle sensitive equipment.

Comment

Quoth MergedLoki View Post
                  Anyways the issue w/the 360's is the early pics etc. showed it stood up on it's end. YOU CANT DO THAT with a 360.
                  Tell that to the 18 months I had my 360 vertical, and playing games.
                  Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                    I would have told him to complain to Microsoft.
                    Same here. Seems to me they owe him a new game.
                    wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?
                    ----
                    Yes, that’s right. It’s a pair of gold foil headphones. Gold foil. Finally, headphones just as awful as your taste in music.

Comment

he could have EASILY gotten a replacement from Wal-Mart!
                      The only problem I see, is that if the guy was honest with the people at WM. See, if the game console scratched it, and it isn't defective, WM doesn't have to, and won't exchange it. I don't blame them, either. Why should they eat the cost because the system got bumped?

Dude needs to call Bill Gates.

Edit to add:

Wait, does that make me a sucky customer?
                      Only if you screamed at the employee until they exchanged it, otherwise - just lucky.
                      "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

No I was super polite since I new I was screwing them and didn't want to do anything that would make them upset. I actually got the MP3 player because I complained to Phillips about a sucky worker I got on the help line. (He laughed at me because I was foolish enough to expect my old MP3 player to have an update to make it compatable with Winows Media Player 11 based on the foolishness of believing the Phillips employee who told me that) I was polite about complaint though, I just happened to send it to people who are high up in the company infrastructure.

Comment

He wouldn't have lost 30$ if he had just wanted to exchange the game he had for another one of the exact same game. The only way that Wal-Mart would have said no to that exchange would be if he wanted to just plain out return it, or if he had said he wanted a completely different game, which is illegal to do, federal law.
                          If Cupid's got a gun, then he's shootin'

Comment

Quoth shawanabang89 View Post
                            The only way that Wal-Mart would have said no to that exchange would be if he wanted to just plain out return it, or if he had said he wanted a completely different game, which is illegal to do, federal law.
                            AFAIK, there is no law that says a retailer can't exchange a game/DVD/CD for a different title or for the price paid for it. I thought there was myself, but that's been shot down.

However, it is usually part of the agreement the store has with the distributor/production company/whomever that the store not take such returns, due to the possibility of the customer copying the item and essentially getting it for free.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                              Tell that to the 18 months I had my 360 vertical, and playing games.
                              Hey if it works for you awesome. I've known 2 people that insist on having their 360's set up vertically and (as far as they tell me) they've had no issues with scratched/ruined game discs.

I've just known a few more that have had games ruined because of discs slipping out and getting scratched enough that they wouldn't load or play.
                              Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

Working...
                              X