This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't entirely blame this guy for being an SC

Sorry for the ramblings ahead. I had to let off some steam.

I just had this customer in the Rental department about 5 minutes ago. He wanted to rent a gas powered chainsaw and needed to know the gas-oil ratio and other things about it. I don't have anywhere near a clue, and told him as such. He replies "Well it's your responsibility to know because I can't rent it without knowing." Actually, it's management's responsibility to put someone in here that knows what they're doing, which I do not. He also says to me "I'm going to make you sign something saying you could not tell me how to use it." This one really got me, because we have something they must sign saying they know how to use the machine. I found it kinda funny that he wanted ME to sign something. Yeah, I don't think so. I called the garden department, hoping someone down there can tell me. The only guy working down there is Spanish and not understanding what I'm asking him. I ask what the gas-oil ratio is, he keeps giving me the prices. oooookay.......

So then Chainsaw dude wants to talk to a manager. His wife asks why, and he says because he wants to know why I can't tell him what he needs to know. His wife (bless her heart) keeps explaining to him over and over why I can't tell him what he wants to know. So, instead of calling the manager I call one of the guys that works in the department at home, who happens to be one of my roommates. He tells me what I need to tell the guy, along with a bunch of other stuff that I need to know to rent it out. The gas comes premixed and he can ONLY use that gas. If we don't have any, we cannot rent it out.

I tell this to chainsaw dude and I go into the gas room to see if we have it. I almost did a somersault when I saw that we have NONE. woot woot...........Come back inside to break the *good* news to him, and he still tries to get me to rent it to him anyway. Now all of a sudden he knows exactly what the gas-oil ratio is (funny how he didn't know this 10 minutes ago) and he can mix his own. Sorry, nope. I was told if there's no gas, there's no rental. So he concedes and rents the electric chainsaw instead. But still wants to talk to the manager.

I try calling the manager, and he can't come down because he's busy with 3 other customers. He wants me to find out from the guy what he wants him for. I tell him flat out on the phone, "He wants to see you because he needs to know how to use the machine he's renting and I can't help him." His response? "Well I don't know how to use it either, what am I supposed to tell him?" Uh, I don't know....you're the manager, think of something! I don't get paid to think of these things for you. Finally, we get through the rental of the electric chainsaw, and I tell them that the tool Tech (roomie) will be in tomorrow morning and if he still has questions, call him and he can tell you anything you need to know. They seem happy with that, and leave happy (miraculously). At this point, my manager calls back and says...."I'm free now, what can I do to help?"

Would "you can go jump off a bridge" have been an OK answer?

*edited because I forgot something he said....*
    Last edited by Broomjockey; 03-23-2009, 03:15 PM.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success.

Quoth thread title
    I don't entirely blame this guy for being an SC
    I do.

First he pretended not to know what the gas/oil ratio for the chainsaw was. (Unless you told him.)

Secondly--"Well it's your responsibility to know because I can't rent it without knowing." Then look it up yourself, brainiac. People ought to know by now that retail workers can't reasonably expected to know everything about every product in the store.

Thirdly if the manager's busy, he's busy. Nothing you can do about that. At least he's out helping customers instead of holing himself up in his office.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I can't even imagine the idea that a rental store clerk should necessarily know exactly how to use every piece of equipment they rent out. Your own paperwork says you don't have to - HE has to know how to use what he's renting. I'd have just basically told him that - something like "Sorry sir, I don't know and don't have to be advising you. If you don't know how to work it, I'm afraid I can't rent that to you today."

Comment

Standard for chainsaws is either 25:1 or 50:1, the bigger ones are usually 25:1.

And I can really understand the not using anything but the stores fuel, people are idiots, guaranteed the guy would have put the wrong ratio in it.
        If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

I can see the customers point to a point.

I know how to run a lot of different tools, but that doesn't mean I know how to maintain them. I know how to use an acetalene torch but I have no clue how to change the tanks. It was my dads and he took care of that, since the tanks were too large for me to handle. Just one example.

I would have been thrilled that you called your roomie to find out that you sell premix fuel so I don't have to bother with it. That is going above and beyond the call of customer service. You should have been given that basic instruction that all gas powered tools have to use our fuel or no rentals, that would have eliminated that entire waste of everyones time. Since you could have just gone in the fuel room and "nope no fuel sorry no rental" and no I'm not certified to mix it sorry. Maybe we can find an electric that will get your job done and go from there..

Comment

Why don't he just simply leave and take his business somewhere else???

The MAIN problem that I see is that people think that doing business is a Constitutional Right but there's NOTHING in the USC that mentions that.

Comment

I also can see the customers point.

Had he not pestered you about the fuel formula, you would have let him rent the chainsaw without premade fuel, thus pretty much ensuring he would have screwed up the chainsaw. Because of the thing he would have had to sign he would then be responsible for the damage that basically stemmed from your managers sticking you where you are not trained.

The situation was sucky, not necessarily anyone in it.
              My Pointless Links collection.

Comment

Quoth redmountaingoldfish View Post
                I also can see the customers point.

Had he not pestered you about the fuel formula, you would have let him rent the chainsaw without premade fuel, thus pretty much ensuring he would have screwed up the chainsaw. Because of the thing he would have had to sign he would then be responsible for the damage that basically stemmed from your managers sticking you where you are not trained.

The situation was sucky, not necessarily anyone in it.
                Yup, though the guy could have handled it better.

While customers shouldn't expect employees in a store to know everything about every product they sell/rent, etc stores have a responsibility to staff people who can answer questions about particular products.

I'd be madder that I was allowed to rent a saw without having been told I had to buy fuel from them only, and then being responsible for the repair fees.

Comment

Quoth Nyoibo View Post
                  Standard for chainsaws is either 25:1 or 50:1, the bigger ones are usually 25:1.
                  Usually the ratio is embossed on the gas cap.
                  If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.
                  --Woodrow Willson

Comment

Quoth QASlave View Post
                    Usually the ratio is embossed on the gas cap.
                    Right next to the 'Do not stop chainsaw with hands' warning sticker?
                    Character flaws aren't a philosophy -Scott Adams

Comment

Quoth Drakstern View Post
                      Yes, we want THOSE people to use their crotch. No danger of passing on those not so bright genes then.
                      If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.
                      --Woodrow Willson

Comment

Reallly? I thought it was next to the "This product is zombie-certified" sticker
                        Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Quoth QASlave View Post
                          Yes, we want THOSE people to use their crotch. No danger of passing on those not so bright genes then.
                          I've always wondered where 'do not stop chainsaw with crotch' came from.

However, I never wonder about it long, because it makes me cringe.
                          Character flaws aren't a philosophy -Scott Adams

Comment

I've always wondered where 'do not stop chainsaw with crotch' came from.
                            Translation from Swedish warning sticker. Actually reads "Do not stop chain with hands or genitals."
                            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                            X