X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am not...(very ranty)

A soundboard for your political rants

This normally isn't a problem for me, but I've noticed a common trend between the registers lately. We have two types: bag-free and bags. Bag-free means no plastic bags, you either bring your own, buy more, or beg the checkout operator for a bag. What i've noticed is that the bag-free lanes seem to be free from people voicing their political opinions upon us, whereas the bag lanes tend to attract everyone ranting about how "it's stupid that the government foists this idea on us." "the government can kiss my ass" (yes, I actually had that one) and many more fratching-worthy comments. Thank goodness my brain-to-mouth filter was working that day or I would've ripped that guy a new one.

(I've actually been tempted to respond in the opposite and purely piss them off. Anyone complains, I can point out that "we're here to serve customers, not act as a soundboard.")

A "good girl"

I had this twice today. One time it was because I gave a customer a plastic bag (which we're meant to do if they ask, I have no problem with that) and the second time I counted out change correctly. Both times, they looked at me, and said with that typical condescending view normally reserved for their grandkids or children, "Good girl!"
    I came so close to smacking them with the spray bottle

Dwayne

Had some guy today that sounded drunk. No, I didn't serve him, nobody did actually. Went wandering up and down the aisles calling out "Dwayne! Dwayne! Where are you?" Now, once I can understand. But coming in twice and doing it just made me, my FES and a few CW's just go . Makes me wonder why he didn't point out to the service desk that he'd lost someone.

A free garbage bag disposal.

I had this repeatedly this week. Now if you genuinely need a plastic bag, fine. But I had one lady, who I swear is the world's most cheap-ass lady, go to me "can't you slip in a few extra plastic bags?" as in, give her a few extra for garbage bags. (no, we do not normally do this btw) I did give them to her after checking with my FES, but I was seething for hours afterwards. Seriously, one roll of small bags costs about $2 at the moment. If you use the bags you carry your groceries home in, fine. But don't ask me for a few extra that are only going to be used for garbage bags. It's just cheap. (also, there's like 20 in a roll)

Security...

-But I CAN check your bags if you try and escape through an unmanned register. Or through a manned one that someone removed the trolley from.
    -I CAN follow you around if I believe that you are stealing something. Yes, we do have LP, yes I know who they are, but I do not know the codes to summon them to particular sections.
    -I cannot do a manual override for reduced items. I need a supervisor's code. If you cannot wait, then you need to sort your priorities out.
    -I can also refuse entry to you after close. We are CLOSED. I don't care if you need food, lack of planning on your part does not mean emergency on mine.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

I rarely get political commentary. When I do it's always from left field and surprises me for a second. People just toss it out there, I assume because everyone in their daily lives refuses to talk about it with them anymore.

Ever notice that the more blindly ignorant the political stance the more likely it is to be brought up randomly with strangers? ;p

Comment

Oh, I don't get political rants from guests (often)... those I get from coworkers... what I get from guests is the Spanish Inquisition on Mormonism... it's like... calm down... the Church claims to have 13million members (how many of those are people like me who are either inactive or in the process of leaving is up for debate, but still)... I'm sure if you really want to know you could find a neighbor, friend, coworker, or missionary very easily back home... please don't grill the front desk employee at the hotel... I will give you the Mormonabilia touristy version of events (and yes, Mormonabilia is a legit term). I am more than happy to tell you where you can spend your time and money (though most everything actually within Temple Square is free... except the two restaurants in the JSMB... that doesn't mean there isn't still a lot of places around Temple Square that aren't more than happy to lighten your wallet for you). However, you want a discussion on theology, all you are getting is the address for mormon.org.
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

But don't ask me for a few extra that are only going to be used for garbage bags.
        I use mine to carry the groceries but yeah, they end up being trash bags too

Comment

The people complaining to you about the law irritate me. If they don't like it why don't they contact their elected representatives? Oh no it's so much easier to rant at someone behind a cash register. They probably didn't even vote.

Comment

I'm still waiting for May 4, wonder how many people are going to forget bags. Oh and ...

*pats fireheart17 on the head*

Good girl.

*runs for life.
            If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

I haven't gotten political rants so much, but one time when I was still just a cashier, I had a guy go off on me about Mexicans, because he thought one had jumped him in line.

He was about 2 feet behind the guy (who I couldn't see, but could very well have been just a man with a tan), so he could her EVERYTHING.

I was so embarrassed and shocked that I couldn't even say anything back.

Comment

I used to get political rants all the time at the grocery store, either overheard or aimed at me.

Given that I love to play devil's advocate, this could have gotten me in a lot of trouble, if I didn't have a nicely emplaced brain-mouth filter...

It *did* cause me trouble in a couple of classes, though. Some professors don't like being contradicted, especially since I'm more than willing to do the research just to see the look on their face when I slap them with facts.
                Character flaws aren't a philosophy -Scott Adams

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  I use mine to carry the groceries but yeah, they end up being trash bags too
                  That I don't have a problem with, but this lady just wanted me to give her a bag filled with more plastic bags. For free.

And Ny, I won't chase after you...yet. >.>
                  <.<

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                    And Ny, I won't chase after you...yet. >.>
                    <.<
                    So what you're saying is I should be looking over my shoulder and getting someone else to open my mail?
                    If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                      But don't ask me for a few extra that are only going to be used for garbage bags. It's just cheap. (also, there's like 20 in a roll)
                      Might not be just cheap, clearly marked bags (with the store logo) are great for shoplifters. A plastic bag is easy to let things slip in, no zippers or flaps to open and shut. And if the bag is inspected, the thief can always claim they bought the loot in that other store (where they got the bag) and lost the receipt.

Comment

Quoth Mister View Post
                        Might not be just cheap, clearly marked bags (with the store logo) are great for shoplifters. A plastic bag is easy to let things slip in, no zippers or flaps to open and shut. And if the bag is inspected, the thief can always claim they bought the loot in that other store (where they got the bag) and lost the receipt.
                        1) I work in a supermarket and 2) Australian law is a little different. If we believe that the goods are ours, then we can detain said goods until something crops up.

But the lady I described earlier, I wouldn't put it past her to do so. We're all very thorough with her when it comes to bag-checking.

Comment

Working...
                        X