This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racism is alive and well.

Bear in mind I wasn't personally involved, I just picked up on the fallout. And some people need to know that in the UK, if you are over 60, the government pays for your sight test.

So as I'm helping a lady choose her glasses (on a side note ARRGH I'VE TOLD YOU YOU CAN'T HAVE REALLY WIDE HALF FRAMED STYLES WITH YOUR PRESCRIPTION STOPPIT) I hear a man yelling at the reception. I just roll my eyes as apparently last weekend was nutter convention at the opticians.
    Until I hear this bit.
    In this case RS stands for Racist Scum, CM stands for Cool Manager. PR stands for Poor Receptionist.
    RS: I'll go elsewhere then!
    CM: Feel Free!

A bit of investigation later and it turns out RS had refused to see one of our opticians.. Because She's black.

The conversation went (apparently) something like this.
    RS: I don't want to see her! I want to see a different optician!
    PR: OK, May I ask why sir?
    RS: She's black! I want to see a white optician!
    PR: I'm not sure we can change you around for that reason, sir...
    RS: Oh, yes you can! I'm not seeing a black optician!
    PR: Let me get you a manager.
    CM: What is the problem?
    RS: They won't let me see a white optician! Other opticians have WHITE staff members!
    CM: We aren't going to change your appointment for that reason.
    RS: Yes you are! I pay for this eyetest!
    CM: No. You don't.
    RS: I'll go elsewhere then!
    CM: Feel free. We don't want your business.

Cm deletes the mans file while he's standing right there.
    Rs storms off.

Worst racist customer suck I've seen, best manager Pwnage.
    Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

That man was a moron! I'm glad his file got deleted. Your CM is awesome.

Comment

Ya know, I never really came upon racism until I moved out of the south (Yes, I see the irony in that) and to the western states (never even heard of communists until I came to Texas to visit a boyfriend several years ago).

What happened to the colour-blind people I grew up with? Did they get erased or something?

Why's my foot missing? CRAP! Where'd that GIANT ERASER COME FROM?! GET AWAY FROM ME! GAAAAK!
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Not only did the manager do the right thing - he did the legal thing. If management gives in to racist demands like that they are responsible in part for the racist harassment of their staff and can get sued (there was a serious pay out a few years back to an NHS nurse who had been moved to different work to appease racist patients who didn't want her to look after them).

They still handled it nicely.

Victoria J

Comment

How does someone talk like that & not get into serious trouble? I don't understand that. It's a shame that in the 21st Century that racism is still very much with us.
          I'm Puerto Rican & have experienced racism & discrmination in all it's forms. Nowadays when I encounter racism I just sigh. It makes no sense to pound the son-of-a-bitch into oblivion because then I'd be lowering myself to their level & I want to be better than that.
          My father said it best-"what are you going to do? Get into a fight with everybody who's racist? Do that & you'll always be fighting"
          He said just to turn around & walk away. Takes more courage to ignore stupid people than to stand there & fight with them.
          Still though...I'd like very much to bitch-slap these racist MoFos & hang them up by their buster browns...lol.
          Last edited by Bright_Star; 03-24-2009, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Oh, I love the racists at our hotel... really I do... because I know what pwnage is coming their way.
            I remember one morning I was in covering part of a morning shift, so I'm not in the best of moods, the owner was coming in to cover the rest of the shift so I could go home and sleep because I had to work again that night... this lady walked up to the desk furious that the housekeepers would be speaking spanish, while she's making this rant the owner and his (some relationship, still haven't figured it out) are walking behind her speaking in some Indian dialect (one of these days I'll ask him what it is)... guest overheard it and said something along the lines of "oh great, now I have to deal with guests who are foreigners too, I want to speak to a manager" and in flawless English the owner responded "how may I help you" the look on her face was priceless.
            Yesterday I had another one, lady called in and asked to speak to a manager, I told her he wasn't in (seriously, why do people think a manager will be there are 5:30 in the morning), but that I'd take a message and have him call her back when he got in, she asked which manager would be responding, I said the AGM would be in today, it is Mr. (very obviously Middle Eastern name)... her response... "I should have figured as much, is there any other manager who could call her back", I said I could leave a message for the GM, Mr. (also obviously Middle Eastern name)... she demanded to know who was above that... she wasn't pleased to find out that Mr. (also obviously Middle Eastern name) owned the hotel... she of course threatened to call corporate... best of luck honey, corporate is located in Canada, complaining to them that one of their Utah hotels is owned by a foreigner will probably amuse them.
            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth GingerBiscuit View Post
              And some people need to know that in the UK, if you are over 60, the government pays for your sight test.
              Note: The government pays for my sight tests and I'm not over 60. I just have really, really short sight as well as astigmatism.

On topic tho, that man was an arse. Glad he got pwned publically. xD
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                Ya know, I never really came upon racism until I moved out of the south (Yes, I see the irony in that) and to the western states (never even heard of communists until I came to Texas to visit a boyfriend several years ago).

What happened to the colour-blind people I grew up with? Did they get erased or something?

Why's my foot missing? CRAP! Where'd that GIANT ERASER COME FROM?! GET AWAY FROM ME! GAAAAK!
                The Communists thing is more of a schooling thing, then, no? I mean...depending on how old you were when you moved, I remember learning the Cold War etc...

And I've never really encountered racism here...but I'm South Texas, so maybe it's different when there's more whites...

OH, my grandparents were racist, btw. They taught us not to trust whites

Comment

Quoth Hobbs View Post
                  well they were right... us whites just can't be trusted
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                    How does someone talk like that & not get into serious trouble? I don't understand that. It's a shame that in the 21st Century that racism is still very much with us.
                    Being stupid isn't a crime. If it were we wouldn't have a need for a website, because all the SCs would be doing hard time behind the wall.
                    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                      Being stupid isn't a crime. If it were we wouldn't have a need for a website, because all the SCs would be doing hard time behind the wall.

If being stupid was a crime then 98% of the world would be in prison. The other 2% wouldn't leave the house...lol.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                        ... she of course threatened to call corporate... best of luck honey, corporate is located in Canada, complaining to them that one of their Utah hotels is owned by a foreigner will probably amuse them.
                        I think corporate might laugh her right off the phone.
                        "FUCK NO I DON'T WANT YOUR FREAKY ALIEN MOTHERSHIP ORANGES. " - Cookiesaur
                        ~~

Munkie's NaNo WC: 9648

Comment

There was an incident at the supermarket where I worked. I didn't actually witness it, but heard about it later.

We had two black guys working there. Both of them were nice, but one was kind of laid back, while the other one had a bit of an attitude if he was provoked. One day, the laid-back one responded to a customer call, and the jackass took one look at him and said, "I don't speak to your kind!"

The other black guy heard about it shortly after it happened, while the customer was still in the store, and decided to do something about it. He went right up to the guy, practically got in his face, smiled at him and asked, "How's it going?" The customer didn't know how to deal with that, and said nothing. So he followed the customer all around the store, grinning at him, until he finally left.

As someone else said, I can't believe there are still people like that in this day and age.
                          Last edited by MadMike; 03-24-2009, 11:03 PM.
                          Sometimes life is altered.
                          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                          Uneasy with confrontation.
                          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Hobbs View Post
                            I don't get it. Is that 'laugh out loud' there because you can trust whites and it was silly of your grandparents to say? Or because calling a race untrustworthy is somehow funny? I'm a little confused.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                              I don't get it. Is that 'laugh out loud' there because you can trust whites and it was silly of your grandparents to say? Or because calling a race untrustworthy is somehow funny? I'm a little confused.
                              Maybe both?

Comment

Working...
                              X