This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong, but what I got from this is that the man named Tracy was the man you were on the phone with.

So when you asked to speak with tracy and he said "no", wasn't he lying? how would you know her was tracy if he said you can't talk to tracy?

I don't use ma'am or sir at work unless I know the person.

Yeah, the guy I talked to was Tracy, he just didn't want to talk to me. I got that alot during that job. I had to call him back a day or two later and he tried the same trick.
    ---

Lindsay as a man's name? o.O I.. guess..? I've never met a guy with my name, nor have I been mistaken by one by name alone. Weird. Hehe.
    You seem to harbor barbaric tendencies. I suggest you visit a physician at your earliest convenience.

Comment

I run into that, never had anyone flip, one old guy responded to my ma'am by saying "I'm a sir, I'm just old"..

I took a call and the person giving me the call repeated several times "It's a Sir, just remember it's a Sir" I had to keep from cracking up when I talked to him, I needed to be told it was in fact a man, but the way she kept telling me made me want to laugh when I did finally hear him.

I have emails I have to respond to as well, my typical response starts with "Dear Mr. Last name" or "Dear Ms. Last name". I finally had my first where I didn't know if it was a Mr. or Ms. and after asking several people if it was a male or female name, resorted to "Dear First Name"
      Everything is great when you're a kid, then you grow up and suddenly you're afraid of the monkey bars...

Comment

This happens to me all the time

My nickname is also a male name....so when I do get customers to call, they ask for ***, and when I reply I am indeed ***, they say that thought I was male.

I laugh it off
        "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
        "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
          Funnily rnough, just before seeing this thread, I was watching the Firefly Episode "Trash"

"Jayne is a girls name"
          "Yeah well Jayne ain't a girl."
          "She keeps callin' me a girl I'm gonna show her I got man parts"
          If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

When I worked at <broken hotel> we had a lovely couple that stayed with us all the time. The husband would occasionally call the front desk from the room and request stuff (easy to do, they were the best guests ever). I once made the mistake of calling him "Ma'am". He laughed at me, said it happened all the time. He sounds just like his wife on the phone so I assumed I was talking to her.

I know someone named Stacey. "Stacey" is a boy's name. "Stacy" is a girl's name. I know Two "Stacey"s. One boy, the other girl.

Yeah....
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Nyoibo View Post
              "She keeps callin' me a girl I'm gonna show her I got man parts"
              "I can kill you with my brain"

You'd think that if people had a unisex name or one that could be contrued as one for the opposite Gender, they'd be a bit relaxed in dealing with it, especially over the phone, but, this is Customers Suck afterall.
              I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

I used to know twin boys named Stacy and Tracy. Fun times.

When I worked at the Hell, we had this one kid who insisted on using sir/ma'am while the cars were at the speakerbox. I kept trying to tell him that was a bad idea, but he persisted until he got the woman with a man voice. It was ugly. I still 'd when she was gone.
                "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Megg View Post
                  I used to know twin boys named Stacy and Tracy.
                  Poor guys.

*shudder*

Matching names.

*thanks Mommy for not giving me and Bella matching names*
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                    yeah but Mal was the one wearing the dress.
                    Inara Serra: Well, yes. So, explain to me again why Zoe wasn't in the dress?
                    Mal: Tactics, woman. Needed her in the back. 'Sides, those soft cotton dresses feel kinda nice. It's the whole... air-flow.
                    Inara Serra: And you'd know that because...?
                    Mal: You can't open the book of my life and jump in the middle. Like woman, I'm a mystery.
                    Inara Serra: Let's keep it that way. I withdraw the question.

The best opening scene ever.

/end threadjack
                    "This isn't a home, this is a swirling vortex of entropy." - Sheldon "The Big Bang Theory"

Comment

Quoth BuggedMei View Post
                      Lindsay as a man's name? o.O I.. guess..? I've never met a guy with my name, nor have I been mistaken by one by name alone. Weird. Hehe.
                      Lindsay Buckingham (formerly of Fleetwood Mac)
                      Tracy Morgan (actor, formerly SNL, currently "30 Rock")
                      Stacey Keach (actor)
                      Michael Michelle (actress, on "ER" for 3 years)

Comment

Yea I've had that happen to me a couple times.
                        MOST people are pretty cool about it and just shrug it off as no big deal.

I mean yes the forms I get at work DO have a persons sex on it, but generally I'm looking at their name (to ensure I have the correct patient) and what exactly i'm xraying for the ER docs. not their sex.

but i had one patient who's name I will not give out (obviously) but his name was one that is MORE COMMONLY a females name.

so i go out and say 'Mrs. *last name here'.

the guys totally fine and says 'oh thats me' I apologize for the mistake. (no worries right?). well not from him. his wife flips and snaps (in a very snotty tone) 'you know *name* can be a MANS name too!'

and on the flip side I've had patiets who if i HADNT looked @ the sex listed in their info. I would have completely mistaken them for the wrong sex, as (regardless of name) they've looked AND sounded like their opposite gender. (and this isn't just some fault of mine, in 2 of the cases co-workers were with me and agreed that yes Mr x looked like a Ms x, and Ms y looked like a MR y.

but yea, so far only the one case of a snotty wife.
                        Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

damnit, now I have Aerosmith stuck in my head

oh, I've done this more times than I can count... I've also had quite a few people call me ma'am on the phone too (my family included )
                          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I remember someone calling for my Mum for something or other, and I told them that she wasn't there. She innocently asked 'is this her daughter?'

To which I tersely replied, 'No, this is her son.'

I was annoyed, but not at her, it's my problem that I sound so damn feminine on the phone.

Also, my name is Chris, which could be Christopher, Christian, Chrissie, Christine or Christina. I imagine that it can make guess work hard, so I try to be fair

Comment

I have had this happen, but not to me it was the person standing next to me in the drive-thru we both worked at. He was cool about it though, and was always called a Ma'am. He once told a customer when they got to the widow that he bet he was the ugliest Ma'am they had ever seen. It didn't help that he was also gay and would sometimes make his voice higher when he got upset, and he was an incurable flirt. I spent many a shift working with him trying not to be the shift lead on the floor laughing. Our store manager at the time was just as bad, he had half the crew believing he was a woman. Honestly I miss working with those two, I may not miss that job but I do miss them.

Comment

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

It has happened to me a few times, both over the phone and face to face. Usually it's just a case of me not paying attention and my brain defaulting to 'Sir'. Oops. However, one instance does stand out in my mind.

I was fairly new on the job, fresh out of training, my ears ringing with phrases like 'customer satisfaction', and 'don't f*uk up', etc... I approached a table with what appeared to the casual observer to have three guys sitting at it. All 3 had short cropped hair, and fairly muscular builds (read: frigging ripped).

Me: "Is there anything i can get you gentlemen to drink to start off?"

It was then that i realized that all three were, in fact, women. ... Very muscular women. ... That could have squished me into a pulp with their thumbs. They took it well tho.

Comment

Working...
                                X