Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A customer said called me a sir the other day. To be fair I have a deep voice for a woman and I'm having issues right now with my asthma so my deep voice is even deeper and more fucked up than normal.. I laughed and then corrected the person.. big deal, so someone mistakes your sex..
    "No, I will not poop a shopping cart out for you." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

I had this one repeat cust at the dept store I used to work at that looked like a man, dressed in man-like clothing (nothing definitively feminine) and had that harsh-throated smokers tone. My cashiers would mistake her for a 'sir' all the time, and she would insist on calling me down and having me explain to the cashiers that they are not to call her 'sir'. Seriously... you think she would be used to it by now or be more understanding about it.
      Likewise, we had a male manager for our switchboard and he would get mistaken for a women all the time because of his voice. I think it also amused him on several occasions where cust's would complain about the person they were speaking to, assuming it was a women, until he spoke, and they're jaws dropped when they realized they were stuck in a lie and it was him all along
      Sorry, my love cannot be bought. And if it could, you obviously don't have enough in your account to do so.

~Do not pass go, Do not collect $200. You lose, my friend, you lose~

Comment

Leslie Nielsen, comedian...I don't think anyone will mistake him for a femme anytime soon, tho >_>

While I understand that parents have the right to name their kids whatever they'd like (as in the boy named Tracy, above), and that many families name kids after their ancestors, maybe they should stop for a moment and consider the fact that giving them certain names will pretty much guarantee that the child will get teased about it in school. Why not just use that "special" name as the middle name instead of the first?
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Rather reminds me of a family who've been semi-regular visitors at the library over the years - basically, it's easy to tell that most of this woman's children are girls, but I have no idea what gender two of the older ones are. (Both have a feminine-looking build and wear women's clothing, but one has a lot of facial hair on the upper lip, the other has a masculine-sounding voice)
          Last edited by KellyHabersham; 07-28-2009, 07:35 PM.

Comment

These most recent entries remind me of when I was working at a chicken shack when I was 16. We were on a corner lot, with a gas station across the street from us. A person was selling flowers across the street on the gas station corner. This person came in for lunch one day, and I prepared and served the order, saying, "Here you go, sir...er...ma'am...er...."

(S)he said, "that's ok honey, I've been called much worse!"

All I know was that (s)he was genetically male (judging from the Adam's apple and the musculature), but was wearing a dress. I was a naive kid, doing the best I could!

A different occasion, just a few years ago, I was at a Living History day, dressed out in my Civil War era get-up: pants, shirt, wool vest, and had my hair tucked up in my kepi (hat). I do not wear make-up, and my body type has always been relatively muscular. One of my friends has told me that I "just exude testosterone." Anyway, the Scout volunteers were going around hauling wagons of water bottles and offering them for free to the participants. They came to me, and asked, "Sir, would you like some water?" I said "yes, please!" They gave me a few bottles, I said "Thanks!" and they said, "You're welcome--ma'am!" I just laughed! (BTW, I am very female!)
            Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              While I understand that parents have the right to name their kids whatever they'd like (as in the boy named Tracy, above), and that many families name kids after their ancestors, maybe they should stop for a moment and consider the fact that giving them certain names will pretty much guarantee that the child will get teased about it in school. Why not just use that "special" name as the middle name instead of the first?
              On a related note, I can't help but wonder why Mr. and Mrs. Trickle decided to name their son (a NASCAR driver) Richard, given the common shortening of the name. Malice aforethought, or simply not thinking things through?
              No matter how low my opinion of humanity as a whole gets, there are always over-achievers who seek to surpass my expectations.

Comment

The only time *I* worry about whether I'm called "Sir" or "Ma'am" is when it's a pre-lewd to a 'plumbing' connection.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                  ......Ever speak to those women with the deep-frog, been smokin' three-packs-a-day-since-infancy voice?.......
                  That pretty much describes my voice I have lost count of the number of times I have been mistaken for a man on the phone. I am proud of my deep husky voice. You should hear me sing blues/jazz.

I had the roomate of a friend of mine tell her "that friend who sounds like a Dyke called" when giving her a message from me. My friend nearly wet herelf laughing at that
                  "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
                  "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
                  "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

Quoth BuggedMei View Post
                    Lindsay as a man's name? o.O I.. guess..? I've never met a guy with my name, nor have I been mistaken by one by name alone. Weird. Hehe.
                    Lindsey on Angel.

This is one of the many reasons I just don't use gendered terms on the phone.

Comment

Quoth BuggedMei View Post
                      Yeah, the guy I talked to was Tracy, he just didn't want to talk to me. I got that alot during that job. I had to call him back a day or two later and he tried the same trick.
                      You must work in Collections like I do. People do this all the time. Or when you ask for the person by name, they immediately as "who's calling?" That's when I tell them this is <company name> calling in regards to their storage account. Funny, the next thing they usually say is "I don't owe you any money!" or "I mailed a check last week" or any of the other lies they will tell to get you off the phone. Or they will ask who's calling and hang up as soon as I identify myself. When they do that I call right back - always goes straight to voice mail. Imagine that...
                      "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Not quite what you asked for, but I love to play video games and my current favorite is Team Fortress on xbox (can't stand the computer version, I just can't get the controls) and so many guys think I'm an annoying little kid. I never talk now cause I'm tired of dudes flipping out about a girl playing video games, as if I'm not allowed. Best part is I'm always on top. I have never finished second. Usually I'll stick around 40 kills when other people are down at 15. I love my sniper. I've realized that it's a little sad when I can get no scope shots pretty consistently without missing. But I always wait till my homework is finished to play! Yeah, so usually I wait till the game is over, then I'll say something like good game and everyone starts screaming that they were beat by a kid...no...I'm a girl. I'm in college. I'm legal. And apparently that's even worse. I did record a message to send to someone and when I listened to it I could kinda get how people mistake me for a kid. I rerecorded it and purposely spoke an octave lower than my normal speaking voice, which isn't even really that high, the xbox speakers just make it sound shrilly.

Comment

Working...
                        X