Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My parents never have a problem believing me, nor does my brother.

Mom worked at a department store for 18 years, and the stories she can tell run the gamut from attempted arson in the children's department to a woman who shit herself out of spite when caught shoplifting to a parent patiently explaining to a child that it was their (the parent's) right to take things without paying and the store was just being mean by calling the police. She also remembers shoplifters who stuffed the goods under their baby in the stroller, a man who slashed another man's throat with a broken bottle in the men's department, and physically stopping a woman from beating her child by grabbing the woman's fist as she was preparing to slam it down on her child's head another time.

The objects she has had thrown at her range from fur coats to umbrellas, sweaters, and full-size Christmas catalogues.

Dad worked, and still does as a mechanic, and recalls one elegant family coming into the body shop. The father instructed the child to head for a nearby pile of cables and fall down, or fall into the pit the mechanics used to work on cars parked overhead, "so we can get some money from them."

My brother worked at a movie theater and got death threats for telling a couple not to have sex in the back of a Disney movie. He also remembers the popcorn fights, still-warm spit cups, attempted kidnappings, and so on and so forth...

So no, my family has never ever had a problem believing the things I go through at work.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth Kika View Post
      I got massive apologies and the Wal-Mart associates got 100 dozen doughnuts from my dad.
      jeepers the poor doughnut shop workers!
      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
        Mom worked at a department store for 18 years, and the stories she can tell run the gamut from attempted arson in the children's department to a woman who shit herself out of spite when caught shoplifting to a parent patiently explaining to a child that it was their (the parent's) right to take things without paying and the store was just being mean by calling the police.
        I'd love to hear some of those stories; pretty please?
        Last edited by MadMike; 11-09-2006, 01:35 PM. Reason: Excessive quoting
        You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Dad has NO problem believing my stories: he worked as a pharmacy manager at a large hospital. He had sucky sales reps to go with the SC's. My brother worked security for a while. They believe my tales of woe. DH and I tell each other stories about the very special SC's we encounter. Remember this: you do NOT have to go home and live with that SC!

Comment

Quoth Zombi View Post
            My dad said "Well, I don't know which bit of that shop you work in, but I've never heard anyone be rude to the cashiers!"
            Typical. "If I haven't witnessed it, it could not possibly have occurred." Argh!!! This applies to a lot of situations.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Canarr View Post
              I'd love to hear some of those stories; pretty please?
              I'll ask her and see what she can flesh out for me. I'm sure she's got tons that I forgot to mention here, too. If I get enough stuff, I might start a new thread about it.
              Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

My mom who has worked in the arena since it opened has no problem believing me but she thinks that I am a miserable person for complaining but she doesn't have to deal with SCs behind the wheel.

My mom has been called various names from bitch to a certain ''c" word. There was the guy who asked her to shine his shoes and she actually laughed to his face about that, the drunks she's had to throw out of the arena restaurant when she was there and the owner's private suite even now. She actually walked in on a couple having sex in the suite's private bathroom, she had to call the police because a guy headbutted a hole in the wall, and she keeps track of how many people she throws out. My mom sadly believes in that "phrase" but I've been getting on her about it. My dad believes me because he worked quite a bit as a kid.
                The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I can easily share stories with my mom -- we work in the same store, we have most of the same SCs. My dad is a cable guy so he deals with his own number of SCs and can't believe people are just as horrible in grocery stores.

Comment

Working...
                  X