This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so glad I'm not alone in this.

The movie rental store I worked at had a DVD section and a VHS section. Then they decided that the VHS and DVD's of the same title should be displayed next to each other.

To avoid confusion during this process they sent us rolls of stickers that said "VHS" to affix to the VHS boxes...you know, just in case people couldn't tell the difference in packaging/size between the two formats. I would like to think that people could tell the difference...but I know better, so we spent several hours putting stickers on the tapes.

While I was expecting a few people to be baffled by the change, I did not expect what happened next. (I'll give you a general paraphrase of the conversations I had with what seemed to be every other customer most of whom had been renting VHS tapes for years):

SC: OH NO!! WHY DID YOU STOP RENTING TAPES???
    Me: We didn't stop. Why look at that, you're holding a tape in you hand.
    SC: No NO! This is not a tape! It says VHS on it!!
    Me: Yes. It is a VHS tape.
    SC: But, but...I don't have a VHS. I have a VCR! I need a VCR tape!
    Me: . . . Not a problem. You wait right here and I'll get you a VCR tape.

At which point I would take the tape out of their hand, walk to the back, peel the sticker off of it, and walk back to the counter.

Me: Look! I found one!
    SC: yay!

And there was great rejoicing.

Comment

I can't decide which is funnier...the UBS story...or the "But, I have a VCR! I need a VCR Tape!"

BRILLIANT.
      I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Quoth Maevis View Post
        And there was great rejoicing.
        As soon as I read that line, I imagined somebody holding a tape skyward, and a beam of sunlight would illuminate the patch of earth that the person occupied. And a choir of cherubs and angels would burst out in praise and exaltations at the wonder of this glory.
        I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

I picture the little guys in the Holy Grail going "Yay!" and waving their flags around
          I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Working...
          X