Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its possible to do more than one thing!

Today I served a table, they seemed very nice for a while, but I was bussing a table behind theirs and I overhear this conversation between the mother, father and daughter of the table.

Dad: So, why are we giving her more money again?
    Mother: She is doing her A-Levels so she never has to work in a place like this!

Now this, I could deal with somewhat, even though it did upset me (I've worked from the time I turned 16, while still keeping up studies to put myself through uni, not for tuition, but for travel). But the biggest thing was that they turned in their seats to directly look at me, before turning back and starting up 'that' fast food song.

I hate the attitude that's taken of retail and food service workers as being wasters or whatever, because the large majority are really hard workers, love their jobs or are working towards other things.

Mild rant finished.

Or what about those that got their A-Levels and are working there for a second job...

Comment

I worked at every level of food service, from scrubbing pots to management and chef, over a 17 career that took me from a diner in New Jersey to one of the best seafood restaurants on the West Coast.
      I learned that for someone with eclectic interests and a desire to be able to come and go pretty much at will, it is the perfect place to work. I hope you've learned that when you take off to travel it is always better to take a 'leave of absence' rather that quit.
      Most places, if they have been around a while, are used to it, (especially if they hire musicians). It is better for them to not have to train someone new and there's always people who want their shifts covered so you can jump right back in when you get home.
      Anyway, those SCs probably have jobs that they no longer take any joy in and too many bills to pay to allow them to quit .
      Last edited by StanFlouride; 04-11-2009, 09:42 PM. Reason: grammar
      "What did you have for breakfast this morning? Carnation Instant Bitch?"
      -Eric Foreman That 70's Show

Comment

You should've said to them "I'm lucky I'm actually working tonight, because...well let's see...I've got <insert figure here> to pay for my tutorial fees this semester, PLUS textbooks, oh and rent. I mean, we all can't be living off of mummy and daddy's credit cards while we're at university/college now can we?"

I usually just mention I'm at uni to a lot of my customers as a conversation point. The speech above is reserved for the REALLY sucky customers.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I have to admit, it is rather astonishing how some customers' attitudes change once they learn you're in school/paying your way. Suddenly it's like a light goes off and they see you as a person instead of a drone. Very sad.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Precisely why I would not start listing off the university fees or courses I'm covering by working here. You only feed into their delusion. Retail work really IS "only something I'm doing now" not a job of choice, not a respectable career, not something that still makes you a valuable human being even if you're NOT also studying somewhere.

Personally, I think defending your retail job by telling people what else you're doing or working for is demeaning to your colleagues who aren't. But hey, that's just me.

Comment

In my opinion, no one should ever have to explain why they are working somewhere. It shouldn't matter. The fact that people are out there working is something to be celebrated. I was just really dumbfounded to have it so plainly spelt out how some people feel about retail/food workers. My coworkers are some of the best people I've met (some of them anyway lol, but you get awkward people everywhere) and I just hated the direct insult to all of us.

Comment

I just got that the other day. I've started working at a national restaurant, and the money I get from there is going into an account for the uni I plan on going too. I've decided to work my way through rather than have my grandparents pay for it, and I really did not appreciate this lady stage whispering to her daughter "See, sweetie? That's why you have to go to college, so you don't end up working here".

I wanted to dump chili on her head.
                I'm new here, so if you have any questions, feel free to message me. I'll probably change this later when I find something funny to put here.

Comment

And I'm sure the people commenting on the jobs others have don't have one themselves, or are living off-some trust fund, or being supported by their significant other. Sigh. If they worked a day of their lives they'd understand...maybe.

As jobs become scarcer, at least employers may have more qualified applicants applying. Hopefully.

A supervisor I knows goes through all the trouble of hiring people, only to have them work just long enough (a week or two) to prove to their probation officer or the welfare office that they have a job. Then they get that one paycheck and are never seen again. It's such a waste of time, but that's just about the only person he has applying.
                  "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth PizzaDrone View Post

I hate the attitude that's taken of retail and food service workers as being wasters or whatever, because the large majority are really hard workers, love their jobs or are working towards other things.

Mild rant finished.
                    mea culpa, with aggrevating circumstances. Not because I look down on service workers in anyway. I have done the whole truck stop waitress, short order cook and whatever other dang thing they wanted, and other work that was much more difficult and at times demeaning. I don't want my kids to have to work that hard going forward in life. Everyone has to start somewhere, but I think it is important to keep striving and keep pushing forward.
                    Tamezin

Comment

Quoth Nelsonette View Post
                      ..."See, sweetie? That's why you have to go to college, so you don't end up working here"...
                      To the "Mother":

"See Sweetie? This is what an independent, self-sufficient, responsible adult does instead of leeching off of family."
                      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Oh yes the people that look down on us.I get at least once a week,the people that say
                        Why aren't you going to school?
                        I hate it,I've never done good in structional learning.I've studied and learned more about subjects I like on my own(buddhism,history,art and Literature) then I ever did in school. And the funny thing is I could "outsmart' these people anytime.
                        Last edited by candyshopgirl; 04-13-2009, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Quoth PizzaDrone View Post
                          In my opinion, no one should ever have to explain why they are working somewhere. It shouldn't matter. The fact that people are out there working is something to be celebrated.
                          Exactly. Any job is a worthy job. You're contributing to the economy, paying taxes and filling a need.
                          Quoth LillFilly View Post
                          A supervisor I knows goes through all the trouble of hiring people, only to have them work just long enough (a week or two) to prove to their probation officer or the welfare office that they have a job. Then they get that one paycheck and are never seen again. It's such a waste of time, but that's just about the only person he has applying.
                          That's so sad. And here I am, a good, qualified worker, looking to find and keep a job and nobody is willing to hire me.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

It's hard to find a job nowadays. I hope you find a job soon! I'm trying to help my boyfriend find a job. He goes to University and his school schedule messes him up for a part-time job during the week. That's why I only work at my job only on the weekends. I know I won't be able to work during the week and go to school at the same time. It's too much for me. I'm already tired from a day of school.

I think having a job that isn't illegal is respectable and as long as you're making money for good reasons, you shouldn't be treated like a nobody.

Comment

Working...
                            X