This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Why Isn't This Empty Gumball Machine Vending?"

Seriously. My gumball machine that I brought into Aid of Rite ran out of M&M's and so is currently sitting empty until the gumballs I ordered are in (since we don't have any gumballs except vitamin ones and those are too expensive to set aside for store use for the gumball machine; therefore M&M's worked). Now it's very clear that this gumball machine is empty, the globe is made of clear glass and there's nothing inside it despite a sign on it asking people to donate a quarter to the Children's Miracle network and receive a treat. Nevertheless, a woman came to my register yesterday, saw the sign and still put a quarter inside it and turned the handle. And then said, "Um, I put a quarter inside it and nothing came out."

"That's because it needs to be filled."

"Oh. Well, I put a quarter inside it anyway." *stare*

"Ok." *bag up stuff*

"I put a quarter inside of it."

"Ok."

"..."

"....And? You did donate the quarter to the Children's Miracle Network."

"*walk off*"

Seriously? Seriously? You put a quarter inside an EMPTY gumball machine and wondered why nothing came out? And wanted it back? SERIOUSLY? You donated the quarter and I'm not about to take 5 minutes to pull apart the machine to get your precious quarter back. That's the point of a DONATION. You kissed that quarter goodbye and you won't get it back. Even more so when you put it inside an EMPTY machine.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

It'd been funnier if you had told her:

Nope. That's an air machine.

Here's your sign
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
      It'd been funnier if you had told her:

Nope. That's an air machine.
      The look on her face would have been priceless...

At least she didn't demand the quarter back... "I don't want to donate to no stupid chillrens! I just want my invisible candy! RARGH!!!"
      !
      "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Had that happen before. We had to move the machine because SC's kept putting in quarters despite the computer printed sign taped over the quarter slot.

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post

"Ok." *bag up stuff*
          heres your mistack you should have of said thank you for your donation to the childrens network or what ever the donation was for again. then she would feel like a jack ass for wanting it back

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
            heres your mistack you should have of said thank you for your donation to the childrens network or what ever the donation was for again. then she would feel like a jack ass for wanting it back
            This! Something along the lines of:

"That's great! Most people dont' want to donate to [charity] when they'll get nothing in return."

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post
              You put a quarter inside an EMPTY gumball machine and wondered why nothing came out?
              Sounds like the tourists down here who get on the Glass Bottom Boat and ask, "Where's the glass bottom?"

I wish I was joking about this. I have two friends who used to work for the GBB, and they said that that was a very regular question.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
              X