This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You weren't expecting that were you?

So, this morning I was in work even earlier than usual. We had a few updates to do on the till system and it messes them up if we change things during the week. I couldn;t be bothered doing it last night after trading so i said i would go in at 5am and spend 90 minutes on it, then open as usual at half six.

I didn't turn anything on or unlock anything. I just hooked my laptop up to each till in turn and cracked on with the updates. Bear in mind that the shop was all dark bar a single spotlight over the counter and all the illuminated displays/fridges were off and the cigarette gantry was shuttered and locked.

I had pulled the external shutter down behind me but not locked it. Someone may have noticed I was in as my car was parked in it's regular spot at the side of the store.

About 5:45am I hear the rattle of the shutter and peer over my cup of tea to see a wannabe customer heading down the shop shouting a cheery "You open yeah!" (As a sidebar, a pet hate of mine is converting a statement to a question by adding a higher pitched Yeah to the end of it)

SC: You open yeah?
    Me: No.

It took a second but his face changed as the rabbit of customer expectation got caught in the headlight of refusal.

SC: you what?
    Me: I'm sorry but no we're not open. You'll have to leave and come back after 6:30am.
    SC: I only want a paper and some cigs.
    Me: Well we're still not open. The cig gantry is all locked up. The tills are empty and turned off adn the papers haven't arrived yet.....
    SC: but.....but....but...
    Me: And if you life the shutter again, next time I'll assume it's wrong 'uns, hit the panic button and wait for the police.
    SC: So you're refusing to serve me?
    Me: Yes. We aren't open yet. I'm sorry but you'll have to leave.
    SC: You can;t throw me out. I've got rights. It's a public place.
    Me: No it's not. it's private premises. Now you've got til the count of five to get out before i hit the panic button. One....
    SC: You can;t do this to me.
    Me: two......
    Sc: but but but but
    Me: Three......
    SC: Fine but i'll be back.

He then stormed off and proceeded to sit on the pavement outside for 45 minutes until I opened. And the daft thing is when he came back in he never mentioned it once and was nice and friendly.
    Good customers are as rare as Latinum. Treasure them. ~ The 57th Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition.

probably because he was afraid you'd kick him out & sic the police on him

Comment

People. Why are they always allowed out in public unsupervised?
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Boggles View Post

He then stormed off and proceeded to sit on the pavement outside for 45 minutes until I opened. And the daft thing is when he came back in he never mentioned it once and was nice and friendly.
        Wow. I guess that taught you a lesson you won't soon forget.

Comment

Why is it people who always go spouting off about their "rights" actually have no idea what the real deal is?
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
          X