Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Witty Retorts are Wonderful, Aren't They?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come to Ireland, where we have €500 notes! ($665 apparently). They're pretty rare and only used by tourists because banks here don't deal with them and they're actually banned in a few eurozone countries. But yes, about 5 times this has happened to me, €500 note for a €40 and under transaction. Three times I could cover it easily, the other 2 times I had to go to the safe and change it...because it's really amazing that I don't have €460 odd in my till at 10 ON A SUNDAY MORNING (ie. opening time). €200's and €100's are more common. But even two people handing in 50's for a transaction of €20 or less will wipe out the till..

Comment

I remember once on a Sat morning I opened up the store, and two minutes later I get a customer who tries to pay for a 50 cent newspaper with a 100 dollar bill! I looked at him and said "Sir. We have been open for two minutes. Do you honestly expect my register to have that kind of change this early in the morning?" He looked at me and opened up his wallet and gave me a one dollar bill. I thanked him and wished him a good day. I just wanna shake people sometimes! We are a store, NOT a bank! Hell there are TWO across the street from the store! And another right up the road!

Comment

Quoth malmalthekiller View Post
        When I was cashiering, people got back whatever I gave them, and whatever I had.
        Ditto. If someone wanted anything else, then I'd just smile sweetly at them and tell them they'd have to wait about fifteen minutes for me to get a supervisor, and for the supervisor to go to the cash office. Every time they'd bark, "I can't wait that long, I don't have all day!", grab the small change I'd given them, and stalk out the supermarket. XD

I wasn't being contentious, mind; just that on a Friday morning in the supermarket, there would be tons of people asking for cashback which can decimate a £100 float in minutes. It was worse after some genius decreed we have a £50 float. Thank goodness I work in petrol now, where we can choose how much float we have.
        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
        My DeviantArt.

Comment

"She gets pissed. 'What? Why the hell not? Why don't you have any twenties?'

I look her square in the eye and say, with a dead-pan face, 'Because people kept paying with hundreds."]

And because we are not a BANK!

Comment

Quoth StarsAreFixed View Post
            Come to Ireland

I'd love to. Seriously.
            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
              I'd love to. Seriously.
              Yea I'm with you The one thing I would LOVE to do is see Westlife in concert on their home turf

But anyway, I've had people buy a newspaper, which over the last 5 years have gone from .70c to $1.10 (people hate it when the paper pric goes up, especially since it was a nice easy $1 not that long ago), and break out the $100. A couple of times I've been lucky enough to have had a $50 not already in the till because someone has bought say $40 worth of stuff, but still.

If you have been a really nice customer and you ask me to upgrade your two $20s and a $10 to a $50 I will probably do it, but I probably won't if you aren't! (nice customer was wanting it for a gift, so much nicer to get a single note than a few of them )

Oh, and my spending of them, I tend to put them in a secret stash I had to get a passport. Now I would be tempted just to go bank them. I tend to use my debit card more than cash these days. Being a student and/or getting the right bank accounts gets me zero fees for using it
              Began work Aug as casual '08
              Ex-coworkers from current place of work: 26ish
              Current co-workers at current place of work: 15ish - yes he just hired 3 more casuals
              Why do I still work there again?

Comment

Quoth seigus View Post
                Back before I had direct deposit, my bank ALWAYS gave me 100s when I cashed my paycheck, without fail.
                But how long ago was that?

The last time I went into a bank to get cash (2 years ago, when I moved), they asked how I wanted it without pulling anything out first. But when it's over $2000 going to one place, I opted for $100's.

When I've cashed checks inside (last time I lost my bank card, which was about 4 years ago), they've always given me $20's.
                Quoth TTAZ View Post
                Today I went to target and got $10 back off my debit card. This is to do laundry for the next week and a half or so. When the cashier asked me if a 10 dollar bill would be okay I asked her on the off chance if she had a roll of quarters she could spare. She did not, I smiled, said that was fine, took the ten and went along my merry way. No. Big. Deal.
                Precisely!

We ask for quarters from cashiers all the time, but if they say no, we accept that and move on. After all, it's our responsibility to have change for the laundry, not theirs.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post

It's not a customer problem it is a management problem.
                  So it's management's problem that I had a customer pay for a 5 cent mint with a hundred dollar bill? (TOTALLY cleaned me out!) Geez, I know about inflation and stuff, but that's ridiculous. Cashiers aren't bank tellers!

Comment

Working...
                  X