This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope you're proud of yourself.

This is a story from at least a year ago, when I was working at the front desk of a building I came to not-so-lovingly refer to as "The Nut House".

I was working on a Saturday, the 7am-3pm shift, and when I got to work there was an email from my boss telling me that we'd contracted the pool out for kid's swimming lessons on Saturdays, and there would be an instructor and 2 kids (and their parents) at today's lesson. Since the lesson was so small, the pool would remain open to the residents during the lesson- people would just have to share the space. This was something new, but it sounded like a good idea. Note: The kids at this lesson were 6 or 7 years old.

The instructor (a young woman of about 17-18) arrived, followed by the two kids and their mothers. I directed them to the pool and returned to the desk. About 45 minutes later, I got the following phone call.

Me=me
    SC= A man in his late 50s/early 60s. NOT a nice guy- I'd had dealings with him in the past. Very picky and liked to yell when things didn't go his way.

Me= Thanks for calling *Nut House Apartments*, how can I help you?

SC= This is SC, and I'm up at the pool TRYING to swim, and there are people here who do NOT live here! There are KIDS! What is going on? This is ridiculous! I live here and I want to swim and I can't swim with these KIDS running around and blah blah blah angry yelling and screaming

Me= Well, we just began contracting the pool out for outside swimming lessons. That's why there are people at the pool who don't live in the building. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience, but they shouldn't be using the entire pool. If they are I'll come talk to them.

SC= I'M TRYING TO SWIM AND THERE ARE KIDS HERE! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PLACE? -More incoherent ranting, not answering my question or even listening to what I'm saying- I WASN'T TOLD ABOUT THIS SWIMMING LESSON THING! WHY WASN'T I TOLD?

Me= I'm very sorry about that, sir. I actually did not know about it until this morning. I'll definitely pass your concerns on to the building manager, and if you'll just give me a few minutes I'll come up to the pool and see what's going on.

SC= I PAY SO MUCH IN RENT AND THIS PLACE IS NOT WORTH IT! WHAT AM I PAYING ALL THIS RENT FOR IF I CAN'T SWIM? -More yelling and gnashing of teeth. I can tell he's not listening to a word I am saying. He hangs up.-

I secure the desk, put up the "back in 15 minutes" sign up, and go up to check out the pool. At this point, I was about 99% sure he was just being an ass, but I thought there was a possibility that the lesson had gotten out of hand or the kids were being truly disruptive. I get up to the pool, and SC is nowhere to be found. I look in through the glass door, and see what looks like a very calm swimming lesson, using only one corner of the pool. No running, screaming, excessive splashing, nothing. So I figure that SC was, in fact, just being a jerk, and go back down to the desk without disturbing the lesson. I send my boss a quick email telling him what happened, and think nothing more of it.

Later, as one of the moms is leaving, she stops by the desk.

Mom- "I just thought you should know- maybe you already do know- that there was a man up in the pool who got VERY angry with us for being there. I know it's not your fault at all, but he was screaming because one of the kids jumped in the pool a little too close to him. He was really upsetting- he scared the kids and the poor teacher was in tears. I know it's not your job to talk to him, but I think someone should, because he was really out of control. The kids were scared of him."

I turn about 14 shades of red, apologize profusely, and promise her that I will let my manager know right away. Luckily, she's cool, and keeps assuring me that it's in no way my fault, and she's not upset with me in the least, and she leaves.

Oh My God. I was in utter shock. I could not believe that Mr. SC would actually take it upon himself to scream at the children and the teenage instructor. I hope it made him feel like a big man to make kids cry. What an asshat.
    Last edited by bammertheblue; 04-30-2009, 07:57 PM.

All I can say is: what a coward! In my opinion, only cowards pick on children and teenagers who aren't doing anything wrong.

Comment

I hate people like that, what a miserable man who has nothing better to do in life than bully little kids or in general people younger than him, does he think the pool is for his use only? I can imagine how he'd act if another resident was using the pool and accidently got in his way.
      I am but a tiny, barren, insignificant rock caught in the glorious orbit of your shining sun. Gravekeeper.

Comment

Guess now you'll close the pool for ALL swimming lessons, regardless of size. Way to go, Mr. Asshat SC.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Why did they wait till after it happened to notify you? Sounds like a case of pure harrasment to me. That SC needs to be dealt with accordingly.

Comment

...what...an...ASS!
            Jebus. I'm not all that fond of children but even I won't yell at them for jumping into a friggin POOL! I mean! COME ON! Their KIDS! Its kinda... you know... their thing.
            "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
            -Red

Comment

*violent thought mode : ON*

Black & Decker Drill + Hammer, Anvil and Stirrup bones = Unable to swim due to loss of equilibrium and internal damage.

*Violent thought mode :OFF*

The guy's a Urethra Weasel, and should have his lease altered to say 'this person is Disallowed from entering any public place when there is any person under the age of 25 within 100 feet.'

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                Why did they wait till after it happened to notify you? Sounds like a case of pure harrasment to me. That SC needs to be dealt with accordingly.
                I'm not sure, but I'd guess that they waited because 1) The SC left the pool (in a fit of rage, I'm sure) so he wasn't there to harass them any more; and 2) They didn't want to disturb the lesson any more. I don't know though.

And I told my manager exactly what happened, and he did talk to the SC. SC remained a very unpleasant man, but he never yelled at kids taking swimming lessons in our pool again. I really think he was one of those people who just had to find a way to be miserable in any situation. Sad, really.

Comment

I should add that this man's wife was just as awful as he was. I have a story about her too:
                  It was my very first day on the job. Actually, I was still in training, but it was my last day, so I was taking the lead and my trainer was following me and helping me out if I needed it. But I was supposed to pretend he wasn't there unless I got really stuck. Anyway...

The building had a couple of bellhop carts that people could use to move large or heavy items. The procedure was, the resident would leave their ID at the front desk as collateral, and to ensure they didn't "forget" to bring the cart back when they were done. This is what happened:

Mrs SC walks over to where the carts are, grabs one, and begins to walk away.
                  Me= "Excuse me ma'am, if I could just get your ID while you use the cart, please?"
                  Mrs SC, screaming= "What? I'm not giving you my ID! I've lived here for 20 years! I don't give ID! I'm reporting you! You don't know anything! I'm telling the manager! You're no good! etc etc."
                  I am speechless, thinking I'm going to get fired even before my real first day. She stomps off with the cart. My trainer comes up behind me and says, "Oh god, don't pay any attention to her. She's always like that- she's crazy."

Lovely couple. Really.

Comment

Quoth Salted Grump View Post
                    *violent thought mode : ON*

Black & Decker Drill + Hammer, Anvil and Stirrup bones = Unable to swim due to loss of equilibrium and internal damage.

*Violent thought mode :OFF*

The guy's a Urethra Weasel, and should have his lease altered to say 'this person is Disallowed from entering any public place when there is any person under the age of 25 within 100 feet.'
                    I got a good one for this asshole.... . NOW he won't be able to swim or harass people like that!
                    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

im surprised he wasn't evicted for harassing official guests who had a legal right to be there

Comment

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised. At least in my experience, management tends to be really reluctant to kick people out. Also, no member of building staff witnessed it, and I'm pretty sure the parents and instructor didn't press the issue. Plus the fact that SC and his wife have lived in that building for about 15 years, AND the fact that evicting someone can be a legal nightmare for a management company. So nothing happened other than Mr SC getting a "talking to".

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                        im surprised he wasn't evicted for harassing official guests who had a legal right to be there

Comment

I have a better idea for what to do to them:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kill_it_with_fire.gif
Views:	1
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	2029220Click image for larger version

Name:	Zabityprzezogien.gif
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	2029221Click image for larger version

Name:	Killthatwithfire.gif
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	2029222
                          I see dumb people...

"I think I died long ago, and you two are my eternal punishment"
                          "..."
                          "You're like a constant downer, huh?"

Comment

Working...
                          X