Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only time I was allowed a cell phone when I was younger (start of High School) was when I was on a school trip that had more of a rough time of getting home than an actual time of being home. It meant that my parents weren't waiting outside school for ages before they collected us Especially if the return time was going to be around midnight.

In saying that there is no way I would have been able to talk to my mum like that, I would have got a hand across my backside too!
    Began work Aug as casual '08
    Ex-coworkers from current place of work: 26ish
    Current co-workers at current place of work: 15ish - yes he just hired 3 more casuals
    Why do I still work there again?

Comment

Ok so the main reason why people aren't allowed to use cell phones is because, people being the intelligent cree-turs that they are, get distracted. My sis, the former gas jockey, had to shut down the pumps a number of times because of such asshatery.
      "Otherwise you are free to keep putting your hope in leprechauns, horseshoes and unicorn farts."-Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth artifical sweetner View Post
        i never did understand why young kids need cell phones anyway sheesh.
        I don't either! I really don't see the need for a cell phone before high school (I might concede to some points for middle schoolers...) but definitely not elementary!

One argument that I've gotten was that more and more homes are getting rid of their landlines. That's great and all but the parents still have a phone the kid can call to. When I was a kid (obviously no cell phones) if we needed to call home we used another parents phone. I dunno....I've got my first kid on the way so give me 10 years or so and maybe I'll change my mind.
        Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

When I was at school, if we needed to call our parents for any reason, such as if we missed the bus, we went to the school secretary and used the phone in the office. When I was a small child, I and my brothers would go off for hours at a time to play in the fields, with no-one worrying that we couldn't be contacted.
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
            "OK back to the car! We'll leve here and you can call him back."
            "NO I DON'T WANNA GO SCHOOL!"
            "OK what ice cream do you want?"

Straight to bribery, not even token resistance by the parent! No wonder she was such a little cowpie.
            And that is how you raise a future EW, ladies and gents.
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

gonna cry about that? i'll give you something to cry about...
              Once this parent and a little girl about 5-6 came into the store. As soon as they walked through the door the girl announced, "If you don't buy me a toy I'm gonna cry!"

All I could think was...my mom would give you something to cry about right there, just for daring to speak to her like that!

The mother in question ignored her.
              https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                With the Mythbusters, the object in question WILL explode if they have to tie a stick of dynamite to it. I really want their job.
                SECONDED!

Nothing says "Job Satisfaction" than hearing a <ka-BOOOOM!!!!!!> every day.

B
                "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth Bandit View Post
                  SECONDED!

Nothing says "Job Satisfaction" than hearing a <ka-BOOOOM!!!!!!> every day.

B
                  As long as you don't do it like the EOD (Explosive Ordinance Disposal?) twerps at Dugway did one time I was out there: BOOM + 1000+ acre range fire (june grass & sagebrush)
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                    With the Mythbusters, the object in question WILL explode if they have to tie a stick of dynamite to it. I really want their job.
                    C4 FTW

almost tempted to claim that "I did this at home" just to see if Adam really would kick my ass...

and yeah i notice the bomb disposal range they always use is very clear of grass... just a lot of dirt.

but yeah... kid needs a bit more of "don't talk back" reinforcement instead of treats

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                      Once this parent and a little girl about 5-6 came into the store. As soon as they walked through the door the girl announced, "If you don't buy me a toy I'm gonna cry!"

All I could think was...my mom would give you something to cry about right there, just for daring to speak to her like that!

The mother in question ignored her.
                      Heh, I would have just said, "OK, go ahead."
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Yea I was expecting that and then how you had the annoying kid screamingin the store!

I do get annoyed with those kids, but I also understand that they need to learn that "I want doesn't get." In some cases I will offer a stamp on the hand if I think that it will make it better for the parents though.
                        Began work Aug as casual '08
                        Ex-coworkers from current place of work: 26ish
                        Current co-workers at current place of work: 15ish - yes he just hired 3 more casuals
                        Why do I still work there again?

Comment

yea, lil tiny tot EW's are crappy too.

well spoiled kids are. I mean i personally am NOT a kid fan. and i've realized.. it's not the children at all. it's cuz the kid suck b/c the parents today SUCK.

like. alrite, i work in xray in a hospital and I get my fair share of child patients.

here's a lil story that sticks in my mind.

it's roughly... 2am or so (i pull nightshift ALOT). and a father comes over w/his kid around.. 6 or 7 or so. for an xray.

now this is NOT a little infant or a toddler. a 7 year old can fully understand 'ok im going to take a special picture and it's not going to hurt, but you need to stand really still for me'

no this kid is screaming like were stabbing him w/red hot knives.
                          so i get dad into the room b/c y ea i understand hospital, late at night, dark xray room, strange guy they dont know. it can all be kinda scary to a kid.

i figure w/a parent right there w/the kid where they can see em. it'll calm them down.

no. so dad starts OFFERING HIS KID money to 'be good for his xray'
                          the bribe went up to $25. and woulda went higher but apparently the father was 'out of money' in his wallet.

ok im not a parent. but when i ahve a small child u know what i'll do if junior wont do something i ask him.
                          i will use my superior size and MAKE him.

gaah.
                          Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

Quoth MergedLoki View Post
                            no. so dad starts OFFERING HIS KID money to 'be good for his xray'
                            And that, right there, is the only reason the kid was acting up in the first place. Because his father trained him to throw tantrums for money.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

$25!? All I got was a lollipop!
                              "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Working...
                              X