This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting down a know-it-all

I'm back in school full-time, so I have a work-study job as a tour guide at a natural history museum and fossil site. Overall, it's a cool job, and I prefer it to my convenience store job anytime.

So, I had this high school group come in a few weeks ago. Before the tour started, I overheard this one girl whining about how she didn't need a guide because she'd been there before, and already knew it all. Little did she know that I was going to be their tour guide, and I was already deviously planning to make her prove how much (or how little she really knew). She just kept whining about how she could just as easily read the signs and go by herself. When the time came to start the tour, I began. She started spouting off again about knowing everything because she'd already visited the museum before. So, I asked her to tell me what she knew about the museum. I asked her about the time periods of the fossils, history of the fossil site, what types of fossils, etc. She suddenly changed her tune because "it had been a while." These were questions that most first-graders who'd previously visited could have easily answered, and I know that because I've taken plenty of school groups on tours. Plus, all the answers were on the signs I was pointing out as this conversation took place. I added details not listed, but I only asked her about the information on the signs. It was stuff she should have been able to answer if she knew it all as she said. She just kept saying, "it's been a while." After several questions like this, I just grinned, and said, "Now, you know why you need a guide." She shut up for the rest of the tour.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

You rock.
    http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
    Melody Gardot

Comment

Working...
    X