Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There are... No words... (ironiclly enough, a little ranty)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Dips View Post
    I'm really glad it turned out OK for you.

It was just one of those situations where you were doing the wrong thing for the right reason and didn't think of the consequences.

That can happen to anybody. It's called being a human being.

Which is more than I can say for that douchebag of an SC.
    Have to agree with this.

To the OP - you are a great person doing what you do, and even greater to accept the consequences without question or fuss. Your acts of generosity and willingness to accept the consequences will have probably touched a lot of people (myself included).

The SC is not even worth thinking - put it this way, it probably is now a case of your bosses now knowing how generous you are and how you are willing to step up and accept the consequences.

Comment

Glad to hear that your boss has a soul and was understanding about the whole issue.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm glad your bosses are decent human beings, OP!

Porschedouche sucks at life. It was nice that your regulars stood up for you, though.
        whohatesshrimp?

Comment

Just wanted to echo what other folks said. You did a good thing, and that price is not so very much to pay for it, I hope.

And if your other co-workers are cool people, you can perhaps pay Milford's sandwiches out of the tips, if they don't mind sharing. I doubt your manager would mind that at all, and his wife would probably think it sweet of your shift.
          "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Comment

Btw beyound the advice you've been given so far, I have an extra advice for you... next time (if ever) porsche dude drops by the store to buy, be VERY cheerful with him, be carefull not to do it in a mocking way, just be a happy person helping him get his food! it'll probably drive him insane, to find you still working there, and happy at life.
            I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

I'm probably covering ground that's already been covered. I read the first few pages of replies, but then started skimming as a lot of the same points were being covered.

Here's my opinion for what it's worth...

Sure it was risky to give Milford a sandwich to help him. That's between you and your employers to settle. Sometimes the best of intentions still land us in trouble. I can see that what you had good intentions, but I can also see that policies are set for reasons. I'm glad to read that you didn't get fired, and am sorry that it did cost you some consequences. It's a shame, but life is not always fair and perfect.

The douche driving the Porsche was a self-important jerk. He may have had a point about waiting on paying customers first, but he was still a jerk. That was his only legitimate complaint, though. The rest of his tirade was unnecessary, and even bordered on abusive behavior. I certainly would have refused to serve him, and might have even asked him to leave if he continued to run his mouth. Then, I would have immediately reported the incident to my manager. Then, I'd just wait until Porsche-douche left before returning to work if I still had a job.
              The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Morally, you did the right thing. But lawfully you did not, which is kind of a shame that the law does not permit people to help others in the way you did. I do see it as stealing, even though we all know that fast food places waste food on a daily basis, but I commend you for trying to help. Karma will prevail for both you and Porsche-McDoucheBag.

Comment

I'm so happy you kept your job. I kept reading replies hoping for a good outcome. While it wasn't as good as I'd hoped, you keeping your job is a huge plus.

And I have to agree that cockbag is compensating for something.

Comment

Once again I seem to have to be the contrarian here. You shouldn't have given him the sandwich. There are shelters that offer more than just three hots and a cot to these people. They offer psychiatric or drug abuse treatment that most of them need but don't want. Sometimes the food is the only thing that will get them in. If they can get food elsewhere they won't get any treatment at all.
                    Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Quoth Nijiero View Post
                      and I'll try THINKING before I do stuff, from now on.
                      Glad things worked out for you.

And yes: go hit the crisis information lines (try to get the non-emergency lines rather than the actual 'call if you're in a crisis right now' ones). Ask them where you can refer Milford and others like him.

There are places that can give Milford food, emergency housing, showers, clean clothes, and assistance with whatever he does need. Including an address he can put down for job interviews.

A small notebook and a handful of business cards can do wonders.

Also, talk to the Owner or his wife, and see what the food-hygiene-legal situation is regarding day-old bread, mismade sandwiches and so forth. You may be able to hang on to those and donate them to one of the shelters at the end of your shift.
                      (Note: if they tell you it's not feasible, accept it. Due to unfortunate incidents in the past, the laws regarding this sort of donation are quite strict. Your store's owner has to think of liability.)
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

It sucks that being a nice person always comes back somehow to bite you in the ass. Nijiero, you sound like a really cool guy and I've done similar favors for people when I was in food service. So much food gets thrown away anyway its disgusting.

I hope you don't get in trouble for several reasons, not the least of which is that if you do, you'll probably be less inclined to help people who need you in the future.

Screw that guy with the porche. Take comfort in knowing he's probably an asshole because his life is an empty hole and he's miserable in spite of having money. If your boss is cool, you won't get fired. If not, then fuck it you deserve a better job anyway.

Comment

What a relief~!

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
                            Once again I seem to have to be the contrarian here.
                            Ummm...did I miss something? Your comment wasn't "contrarian" at all.
                            Lots of the other posts have said the same thing you did.
                            Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Needledick might be living in his freaking car. He might be pouring what money he has into his ride, just so he can show off. I find that the people who show off their huge wealth to others dont' really have much wealth. Also, those types of people tend to be huge douches.

Yeah, I know it's a slight stretch that he might be living in his car, but it wouldn't be the first time I've seen that. Also, it's a pleasant thought.

Comment

that's pretty cool that there weren't too many serious reprocussions from this, although I'd have to echo everyone else here that it probably wasn't a smart thing to keep giving this guy a free sandwich since it's not really your sandwich to give.

As for the dude in the Porsche.....screw him....He's probably the same type of douchebag that weaves in and out of traffic only to get off the exit two cars ahead of me.....

Comment

Working...
                                X