This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bratty customer gets his comeuppance

One of my closest friends owns a local gaming store, which is a popular hang-out among the nerdier kids. Most of them are pretty decent, but there's one kid that everyone hates. He harasses and annoys other customers, threatens people with physical violence, and has been convicted of shoplifting at other stores.

My friend hasn't really been able to do anything about him. He's a paying customer, which she hasn't been getting enough of in this crappy economy. His threats are laughable, since he's a stick figure and would be knocked over in a stiff wind. And he hasn't been dumb enough to try shoplifting in her store (yet). He's just a nuisance that we all tolerate until he finally screws up.

Well, he did.

A few weeks ago, while hanging out in the front of the store, he somehow left his brand-new driver's license on one of the store's shelves. Another customer turned in his license to my friend. Well, there's no telling when the boy is going to be in the store next! So the only thing to do is mail his license to the state DMV!

The store has been blessedly quiet over the last few weeks with this brat unable to drive to the store and harass everyone. However, it seems that being sans license has ceased to be a deterrant, since he's been seen skulking around the store again. Yep, he's driving around without his license!

So my friend is having our merry group of enforcers looking for his car to get this license plate number, so she can call the police and inform them about some random teenager driving without a license...
    Last edited by Tigress; 05-17-2009, 05:24 AM.
    A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Well he has a valid license, he just doesn't have it in his possession, I think in terms of the law that violation is not as bad as someone driving who is not licensed at all.

I could be wrong though.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Over here we call them cat-piss men because our first set always smelled like cat pee, but it now means the inevitable little prick who hangs around game shops annoying the other regulars. They often spend too much money for you to be able to just send them away, and they are too dense to realize that you hate them.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
        Well he has a valid license, he just doesn't have it in his possession, I think in terms of the law that violation is not as bad as someone driving who is not licensed at all.

I could be wrong though.
        In my state, you do get cited for not having your license on you when you get pulled, since that counts as "driving without a license". Because he already has a criminal record and likes to run his mouth, he could get his license suspended until he's 18.
        A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Quoth Tigress View Post
          In my state, you do get cited for not having your license on you when you get pulled, since that counts as "driving without a license". Because he already has a criminal record and likes to run his mouth, he could get his license suspended until he's 18.
          Texas law is like that too:

Sec. 521.025. LICENSE TO BE CARRIED AND EXHIBITED ON DEMAND; CRIMINAL PENALTY. (a) A person required to hold a license under Section 521.021 shall:

(1) have in the person's possession while operating a motor vehicle the class of driver's license appropriate for the type of vehicle operated; and

(2) display the license on the demand of a magistrate, court officer, or peace officer.

(b) A peace officer may stop and detain a person operating a motor vehicle to determine if the person has a driver's license as required by this section.

Comment

His behaviour shouldn't be excused because he's a 'paying customer'. If he's being a prick to the others, the business might be losing customers because he's always hanging around. Someone needs to set him straight or kick him out.

There was a guy (a 30-ish adult gaming nerd, with very little in the way of 'social skills') who used to hang around the local comic shop, make a nuisance of himself, insult the kids who were buying games, comics, etc. The owner was starting to lose business... she told me that some kids would tell her that if they saw him in the store, they would not go in. So, finally, one day when he was ragging on a kid about a Warhammer army (or something, I wasn't there), she told him to shut the hell up, stop bothering her customers and get out.

The next day when he tried to enter the store again, she stopped him at the door and asked him if he was going to behave. He said yes. And everything was fine from then on.

(Until the comic shop closed, for other reasons... )
            "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

What I'm not getting is: his license wasn't suspended, or taken away, he just forgot it. So, why wouldn't the DMV notify him to come pick it up once they've received it, or just mail it to him?
              You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Quoth Canarr View Post
                What I'm not getting is: his license wasn't suspended, or taken away, he just forgot it. So, why wouldn't the DMV notify him to come pick it up once they've received it, or just mail it to him?
                I think you`re vastly overestimating the speed at which the DMV operates.

and yes, you *must* have the license in your possession. I don`t know of anywhere where you can drive without it.

Comment

We had a very similar guy at our old gaming store in Florida (where my husband worked part-time). He spent literally hundreds of dollars a week, so no one wanted to throw him out, but he was also a total azz to everyone, so no one wanted to hang out with him, either.

He never got the hint.
                  "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

I think this all confuses me because I'm a brit. In the UK, there are plenty of places withing walking or bus distance, so I may not need my driving license to get there- in fact I can't even drive, so I don't have one.

Maybe he's been walking, or caught the bus, or got a friend to give him a lift in?
                    Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

In our state, if one physically loses the actual license, there is no problem getting a replacement.

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
                        In our state, if one physically loses the actual license, there is no problem getting a replacement.
                        Ding, ding, ding!

My guess is even if you did mail his license in, he probably has another one by now. Be careful before wasting the police department's time because he might be perfectly fine to drive and the department probably wouldn't appreciate it.
                        I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
                          That's what I was thinking...when I lost my wallet in college, my mom took me to the DMV over the weekend and I just got a duplicate. (Replacing my social security card was a bit more difficult .)
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth GingerBiscuit View Post
                            I think this all confuses me because I'm a brit. In the UK, there are plenty of places withing walking or bus distance, so I may not need my driving license to get there- in fact I can't even drive, so I don't have one.

Maybe he's been walking, or caught the bus, or got a friend to give him a lift in?
                            There are vast chunks of the country that are just empty space with no public transport, except perhaps a train, and other portions that are small towns that have no bus service. I lived in a town that had no local bus service, no train service, a Greyhound once a day, and one taxicab. If you lived more than a few blocks from the main street, you had no way to get anywhere without a car. I used my bike quite a bit, but I also drove.
                            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                            HR believes the first person in the door
                            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                            Document everything
                            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth GingerBiscuit View Post

In many areas of the US there is *no* public transportation. Many cities there is minimal public transportation [Hartford, CT for example. What takes her 15 minutes to drive would be a 3 hour and 4 transfer bus ride.] If I were not handicapped, the closest bus system to my house is 17 miles away. Because I am legally handicapped, I can actually call the bus system and ask them to send me a transport car to take me to a bus line - unfortunately that bus line services only the town of Willimantic. I would have to do an intercity bus [probably Peter Pan lines] to get to Hartford, then get somehow taken to a bus transfer point to transfer to a bus to get somewhere. It would literally take me about 7 hours to get to the other side of Hartford to Newington. I can drive it in 1 hour.

In that respect, America sucks. Very few people live where there is adequate public transportation, or there is a rich environment in walking distance. many times our communities are not set up with bike riders or pedestrians in mind.
                              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                              X