This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth wagegoth View Post
    There are vast chunks of the country that are just empty space with no public transport, except perhaps a train, and other portions that are small towns that have no bus service. I lived in a town that had no local bus service, no train service, a Greyhound once a day, and one taxicab. If you lived more than a few blocks from the main street, you had no way to get anywhere without a car. I used my bike quite a bit, but I also drove.
    I really miss Gaertringen Germany I have a friend I visited there. His flat was a 5 minute walk from the train station. It took all of 5 minutes to walk the other direction to get to the down town area. I got there from Stuttgart by train, and when we did pretty much anything we went by train. Clean, reasonable cost, reasonably comfortable, reasonably on schedule.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
      So, finally, one day when he was ragging on a kid about a Warhammer army (or something, I wasn't there), she told him to shut the hell up, stop bothering her customers and get out.
      [/SIZE]
      I wish I was there when that happened.

"In the name of Sigmar I banish thee, if thou doth not bugger thine self off I shalt kick thou in the Ulrics"

(I love making up euphemisms like that )
      I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
        In our state, if one physically loses the actual license, there is no problem getting a replacement.
        He could get a replacement, but that would require effort on his part and money that he's too cheap to spend. And he's been dumb enough to admit that he's been tooling around without his license and "doesn't care" if he gets arrested.
        A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
          I wish I was there when that happened.

"In the name of Sigmar I banish thee, if thou doth not bugger thine self off I shalt kick thou in the Ulrics"

(I love making up euphemisms like that )

That... would have been awesome.

Totally out of character for her, but awesome.
          "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

I love my local GAME store, as, I can sling Warhammer 40K insults at 90% of the staff quite freely, and have them thrown back at me too.

Many a customer has been reduced to WTFness by insults such as

"Your mother was an Ork Sniffer"

"Get away from me you pointy eared miserable freak"

One, me and about 3 staff members has an hour long tirade of throwing 40K insults at each other, with much off the cuff stuff.
            I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

I think I've posted about this guy before...

My favorite hobby shop had a similar idiot. "John" would spend literally all day leaning on the counter, and pestering customers. Really knew his Pennsylvania (PRR) steam locomotives, but was annoying as hell. That, and he didn't take a bath. Whenever people saw him, they usually made an effort to stay away. Same guy belongs to the local railroad club. I refuse to join because of that

At least he no longer frequents the hobby shop. After the original owner (the father) had to retire because of a stroke, his sons...weren't exactly nice to John. They were tired of him driving away customers, and he hasn't been seen since. Can't say I miss that smelly old bastard
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

His behaviour shouldn't be excused because he's a 'paying customer'
                I agree, because the other customers are also paying customers and shouldn't have to put up with being treated like shit.

because you mentioned the economy as being a reason to put up with him but... how many other paying customers does he drive out?

Comment

Quoth Tigress View Post
                  He could get a replacement, but that would require effort on his part and money that he's too cheap to spend. And he's been dumb enough to admit that he's been tooling around without his license and "doesn't care" if he gets arrested.
                  That's a different story then! And it couldn't hurt to give the police a heads up (call the general line, not the emergency)
                  I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                    Well he has a valid license, he just doesn't have it in his possession, I think in terms of the law that violation is not as bad as someone driving who is not licensed at all.

I could be wrong though.
                    In my state (Florida) you can get a ticket for not having your license on you.
                    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                      In my state (Florida) you can get a ticket for not having your license on you.
                      Here in North Carolina, not having your license on your person or in your vehicle if you're pulled over is considered driving without license and can get you in serious trouble.

You don't screw around with the driving laws here in our state. They can and will hand your ass back to you.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

You can also get out of the ticket in Florida if you have your driver's license number memorized and the cop is cool.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                          In that respect, America sucks. Very few people live where there is adequate public transportation, or there is a rich environment in walking distance. many times our communities are not set up with bike riders or pedestrians in mind.
                          ABQ is getting better. They're putting in more bike lanes all over the city. And people on the Westside tend to walk more than the other side of town. Don't know why.

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                          His flat was a 5 minute walk from the train station. It took all of 5 minutes to walk the other direction to get to the down town area. I got there from Stuttgart by train, and when we did pretty much anything we went by train. Clean, reasonable cost, reasonably comfortable, reasonably on schedule.
                          And that's how I'm getting to Santa Fe on Sunday. I'm taking the RailRunner. Well, I do have to drive to the station in ABQ, but I'm walking to the Plaza once I get there.

Now, if they will just go ahead and extend it to the southern part of the state and not ignore anything south of Socorro as usual. That would be super-duper fantastic!
                          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I'm not certain, but I think driving without or on a suspended license in California will get your car impounded. For a month. And you get to pay storage fees before you get it back.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                              Well he has a valid license, he just doesn't have it in his possession, I think in terms of the law that violation is not as bad as someone driving who is not licensed at all.

I could be wrong though.
                              In SC, you must have your license in your possession if you are stopped. If you have a valid license, it's only a $50 fine with no points. No license, or suspended license, it's 90 days and a $1000 fine for first offense. 2nd, 3rd, and so on, it doubles each time. I was in traffic court for a speeding ticket, and saw a guy who got 8 years and $20,000 fine for driving under suspension, 6th offense.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                                and yes, you *must* have the license in your possession. I don`t know of anywhere where you can drive without it.
                                Actually, in the UK they just give you a "producer", which is a document requiring you to head to the police station nearest your place with your license within the next 48 hours to prove you have the right to drive. Otherwise, a ton of law books descend upon you.

So now you know of at least one place.

Because in civilized countries (and where I'm living now, Canada, isn't one of them) they realize that people do forget things, and that it's not worth screwing people over for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X