Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone Finally Did It. (From News of the Weird)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone Finally Did It. (From News of the Weird)

MODS, if you know a better place to post this, please go ahead.

* Citing a "code of honor" acquired during 26 years in the Air
    Force, retired pilot Ralph Paul, 54, decided in March that he would
    not pay for the $15.99 "Shrimp and Scallop Verdura" at
    Angellino's restaurant in Palm Harbor, Fla., because it contained
    only five small shrimp and five scallops. After he complained
    unsuccessfully, and walked out, the restaurant sent sheriff's
    deputies after him, and he was charged with misdemeanor fraud.
    Paul insisted to a St. Petersburg Times reporter that he couldn't
    look himself in the mirror if he had paid, or even negotiated a
    settlement, so he hired a $500-an-hour New York lawyer and, in a
    one-day trial in October before a restive jury, he was acquitted.
    [St.
    Petersburg Times, 10-5-06]

He ate the seafood. Here's the latest editorial from the St. Petersburg Times: http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/...eamed+and+awed

To top it off, he only left a $3 tip on a $46 tab.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

One can only hope the restaurant takes this thief to court to recover their costs.

Just sign me "sickened".
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Ok my brain now hurts. This sounds like it belongs in the Weekly world news or something. A man eats dinner then successfully sues to avoid paying it. I think I'll go beat my head against the wall at this.

Comment

I'm guessing that the lawyer secretly paid the bill just so he could bill this moron for $2000.
        "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

The man did not sue to avoid paying the bill, he merely refused to pay it after the restaurant would not take less than the listed price, and then was charged in criminal court for not paying his bill. He is still a bit of an SC, just not the kind of SC you are talking about. He is still an SC because he tipped a miserly $3.

By the way, I often eat seafood pasta. It does not come with tons of seafood...ten pieces is more than reasonable and about standard, if you ask me. But the article says he thought he was ordering a seafood dish, not a pasta dish. Well....if that was the case, why did he not send it back once he realized his error? Answer: He is an SC.

Normally the restaurants here in Key West are awesome, with few exceptions. My roommate and I once found one of the exceptions. We were out to dine, and the drinks and appetizer were top notch. Then we got our entrees. His steak was very much not to his liking (and the place is a steak house!), but my seafood pasta took the cake. A seafood pasta that has four different kinds of seafood, as mine did (shrimp, scallops, and two others I can't recall this far after the fact) should have gobs of flavor. A restaurant must work awfully hard to make such a dish completely void of any flavor whatsoever, but that is what happened at this place. No, we have not returned to that particular establishment.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Ok...

Lemme get this straight. For the principle of the matter, the guy refused to pay $16 for his dinner that he felt to be lacking in portion and sued to get the right NOT to pay.

And in the process spent court costs, lawyer fees that would be at least over a grand.

Principle is one thing, but this is something else entirely.
            I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

When I waitressed, we had a rule that the server would ask THREE times how the food was...once for a visual inspection when the dish was brought to the table, once when they were about halfway through, and again at the end when we cleared the plates.
              And of course, we still had people who said everything was fine, cleaned their plates, and when they got their bill, went to the manager and said it sucked and refused to pay. No dice! You ate every last crumb and said nothing when given the chance.
              Sue us! Our butts are covered.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                Ok...

Lemme get this straight. For the principle of the matter, the guy refused to pay $16 for his dinner that he felt to be lacking in portion and sued to get the right NOT to pay.

And in the process spent court costs, lawyer fees that would be at least over a grand.

Principle is one thing, but this is something else entirely.
                That's what I am thinking. I hate it when people say "It's the principle" to excuse something that is just purely illogical!

This made my head hurt and the day is still young!
                "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

What made my head explode was that the jury aquitted him. What the frack.

Comment

At least the moron had to fork out for his lawyer's bills. Unless... I'm waiting for the sequel when Mr Moron takes his own lawyer to court to avoid paying. X_x
                    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                    My DeviantArt.

Comment

I give mad props to the person who called him "Colonel Cheap-O" on the Times Web site.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                        That's what I am thinking. I hate it when people say "It's the principle" to excuse something that is just purely illogical!
                        This reminded me of a quote I found the other day when I was looking for a quote on stupid people to put in my siggy.

"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty." - George Bernard Shaw
                        Any fool can criticize, comdemn, and complain—and most do. ~ Dale Carnegie

Sarah: That's not fair!
                        Jareth: You say that so often. I wonder what your basis for comparison is...

Comment

The really scarry part...

Is that this is now a legal precedent. Someone else can now skip on the bill and cite this outcome as a precedent as long as they are clever enough to cite the same reason for not paying. Now, I am not a lawyer so I may be incorrect in my understanding of how precedent works in the U.S. court system, but if I did get it wrong, it certainly won't stop others from trying.
                          Last edited by Darkmage; 11-17-2006, 08:25 PM. Reason: Stupid typo
                          "The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents."
                          - Nathaniel Borenstein

Comment

Working...
                          X