This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But I can't figure out what the price is

Hello everyone! After lurking for way too long, I finally decided to start posting. For starters, I thought I'd share one of my more humorous SC stories. This happened a few years ago when I was working in the toy department at Target over Christmas. The customer isn't exactly an SC, just a very confused and not-too-bright old lady...

The little old lady walks up to me holding a Barbie pet store playset, and says, "I want to buy this for my granddaughter, but there are so many different prices on it and I don't understand why, can you tell me which is the right price?" I figured that, being so close to Christmas, she'd picked one up that someone else had stuck in the wrong place, or else the display was such a mess that the items weren't near the correct shelf tag (if there even was a shelf tag for it, our toy department got hideously disorganized at Christmas). So, I walked her back to the Barbie isle, where that particular item was actually neat and organized, with one shelf tag in the correct place stating the price...I think it was about $19.99. I pointed this out to her, to which she replied..."No, that can't be right. There are a whole bunch of prices on it and that doesn't match any of them. Why are there so many different prices on it?" I have no idea what she's talking about at this point, since there is ONE tag for it and the shelf is in order, so I ask her to show me where she's seeing other prices for it. She holds it out for me to see, and instantly I realize what she was talking about...like I said, it's a Barbie pet shop playset, and through the clear plastic window on the box, you can see all the little animal cages, with price tags attached...range anywhere from $1.29 to about $4.99, for tiny Barbie goldfish, hamsters, and lizards. I'm pretty sure I made some bizarre facial expressions to keep from laughing at this lady. So I politely explained the concept of the toy to her, that the little price tags were in fact part of the toy, not the price of the item, and that the shelf tag was correct. Not only that, but I had to explain this SEVERAL TIMES and in different ways before she finally claimed to understand and walked off, still shaking her head in confusion. I have no idea if she decided to buy it or not, but I would have loved to see that exchange at the register.

I can't even wrap my brain around that. That's hilarious.

Comment

SO funny.
      Consider yourself lucky that she didn't get angry and start demanding one of those "lower prices".

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I had a similar experience, though the customer was (shudder) in the right to be confused. It had me own brain a wee bit twisted as well.
        As you may or may not know, Marshall's is kind of an upscale Big Lots. They get close out stuff and the like for cheap and sell it accordingly.
        However, we got in this one item (don't recall what it was; maybe a candle?) that had a manufacturer's price of something like $12.99 and Marshall's price was a few bucks MORE. And there were tons of these things all priced the same.
        Had a heck of a time explaining that one. I don't recall how it all came out since I've been trying to convince myself that that job was just a bad dream, but I'm sure the price was lowered.
        ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

Ouch! That hurted my head!
          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Words cannot express the agony my brain cells are experiencing.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

That's freaking awesome. You should have sold her each little piece at the price they were marked. "And this little plastic goldfish is $4.99, and this little hamster is $3.50..." How truly amazing.
              Dips: The best karma happens when you let a jerk bash themselves senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

When I worked at Chesterfield, you would not believe the number of times we'd have movies come in in shipment that were wrapped twice. First wrapping? Had our price tage on it (on the outside). Second wrapping? Usually a sticker with WalMart or Best Buy's price on it. So, we'd have to carefully unwrap the outer layer to get to the inner to remove the offending price tag, and carefully rewrap the thing. And then we'd get customers who would bring up movies with extremely badly wrapped packaging, and ask if we'd used the shrink wrap machine on a used movie.
                "Ma'am/Sir/Other, we do not own a shrink wrap machine. As such, we don't sell used movies." (at the time. A few years before Chesterfield closed, we started doing so, but those bags were sealed by a strip of double sided tape, not a shrink wrap machine)
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                X