Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a cane, but that's only because one of my legs is banged up and I can't walk for long distances without it. I can run and walk short distances though, and the rest of me is still perfectly able to open hatches and manhandle people who refuse to remove their spiky shoes when jumping onto an inflatable ramp. Hell, I volunteer with the coastal emergency services here (sea rescue only, land rescue is a sister organization.) and they don't have any problems with me needing a cane, since you don't need to walk far on a boat.

Yet will they let me sit by the exit so I can stretch that one bad leg? Hell no, and I've been moved around without any chance to show my medical documentation. But they'll let the geriatric grandmother who doesn't have the strength to open the door, or the panicky middle aged guy who can't decide anything, or any number of other obviously unsuitable people sit there.

Meanwhile, when I fly I scope out the exits that have people at them who can actually get people moving.

Comment

Quoth driftwolf View Post
      I use a cane, but that's only because one of my legs is banged up and I can't walk for long distances without it. I can run and walk short distances though, and the rest of me is still perfectly able to open hatches and manhandle people who refuse to remove their spiky shoes when jumping onto an inflatable ramp. Hell, I volunteer with the coastal emergency services here (sea rescue only, land rescue is a sister organization.) and they don't have any problems with me needing a cane, since you don't need to walk far on a boat.

Yet will they let me sit by the exit so I can stretch that one bad leg? Hell no, and I've been moved around without any chance to show my medical documentation. But they'll let the geriatric grandmother who doesn't have the strength to open the door, or the panicky middle aged guy who can't decide anything, or any number of other obviously unsuitable people sit there.

Meanwhile, when I fly I scope out the exits that have people at them who can actually get people moving.
      This is what American Airlines has to say on the matter:

http://www.aa.com/content/agency/Boo...ocedures.jhtml

1. Are you willing to assist on an evacuation?
      2. Are you under 15 years of age?
      3. Are you an adult traveling with a child under 15 years of age or another passenger who requires your care? NOTE: The passenger will not qualify, if these passenger types are seated anywhere on the aircraft.
      4. Do you lack mobility, strength and dexterity in both arms, both hands and/or both legs to: quickly reach the exit, remove any obstructions, manipulate the exit door and slide mechanisms or lift out a window exit door, exit the aircraft, or assist others in exiting?
      5. Do you lack visual capacity or require corrective aids beyond eyeglasses/contact lenses?
      6. Do you require assistance beyond a hearing aid to hear and understand verbal instructions?
      7. Are you limited in your ability to read and understand printed/graphic instructions related to exist, an aircraft evacuation or the ability to understand crew members commands?
      8. Do you have a condition that might prevent you or injure you while performing evacuation functions?

At my airline we are not allowed to seat passengers who use canes at an emergency exit. I guess the airlines need a blanket rule with no if's or buts.

I always follow policy in regards to exit row passengers.

I'm sorry that you have difficulty in travelling but not sure what else to say! Rules are rules!
      No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Quoth AirHostess View Post
        I'm sorry that you have difficulty in travelling but not sure what else to say! Rules are rules!
        I guess because you're not a medical expert you can't ascertain what assistance a disabled/mobility impared person can or cannot give, and as such you need to have a blanket rule for safety, right?
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
          I guess because you're not a medical expert you can't ascertain what assistance a disabled/mobility impared person can or cannot give, and as such you need to have a blanket rule for safety, right?
          Yeah I guess.
          No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

I only sat at an emergency exit once. I was a bit nervous to do so, but I'm pretty good with handling emergencies, having helped with little kids and even in High School with the freshman class I was a student aide for. Of course, I appreciated the extra room, being a tall,leggy person(If you have seen my pictures from my 2008 FBLA pictures, you know what I mean lol).

But when a flight attendant tells me to do something, I will do it. They don't just serve drinks. They can save your life. That is what I told my sister before she took her flight to FL. I told her to say please and thank you,smile, and be extra nice to the flight attendants. Say hello when you board and have a nice day/night when you disembark.
            "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

Quoth AirHostess View Post
              I guess the airlines need a blanket rule with no if's or buts.
              Actually, I can see that being required. Good point, well played.

Comment

Quoth mareng14 View Post
                I always ask to sit in the exit row as most of my 6' height is from my legs, lol. But I do have emergency training and am strong enough to help several people and am trained in evacuation procedures from working on the ships for so many years. I also always carry my passport on my person so would have no problem stowing my carry-on, as it has at most a change of clothes and a book to read.
                ditto - in fact, just 3 hours ago, i completed a flight seated in the exit row from Toronto to Tokyo (i am 6'5 and the doc says that i have an increased DVT risk)

Comment

I avoid sitting in the emergency row because I like having my bag with me - I get bored easily and I don't think anyone will thank me for getting up every 5 minutes to get a different book or my PSP.
                  Last edited by Zombi; 08-19-2009, 12:22 PM.
                  God made me a cannibal to fix problems like you. - Angelspit, '100%'

I'm sorry, I'm not authorised to give a f**k.

Comment

On my way home from work today, I spotted an flight attendant on my bus.

There seem to be quite a few living in my area as I see both FAs and pilots (wings give them away) on my particular bus all the time.

I hope I didn't make a fool of myself, but since I was reading my daily print-out of CS (I copy the stories from today and paste into a word document and read on the subway coming home - usually a 100 page mini-novel which I love, adore and share with friends. BTW - I shrink the stories into 8 arial narrow, double-sided paper, double-stapled)

Raps - I hope that's okay.

I couldn't help myself, since she looked so harried and was obviously stressed out and from her carry-on case and demeanour seemed to indicate having done a long flight, I went over to her before I got of the bus and said "Thanks for everything you do to make flying a great and safe experience" And gave her the CS website addee and briefly explained the concept.

I need to get me some of those business cards ready to hand out!!!!

Love, hugs and kisses in your new career!

BTW - she gave me this look of thanks and thanks for kinda knowing what I go through and just smiled this big smile.
                    Last edited by TOLady; 08-20-2009, 12:08 AM. Reason: Her reaction
                    No... Just No! And I mean it this time!

Comment

I'm 6 foot 2, I've spent almost 24 years in the Navy, and most of the last 7 years has been spent as a firefighting and damage control instructor. Guess which seat I always ask for, and guess what seat I always get! Personally, I think the people at check in love the fact that someone actually realises that the seats are not only about the extra legroom, but about someone actually stepping up and saying they are happy to take the responsability. The Cabin Crew have always been very nice too when they come past and the first thing they see is me studying the exit instructions.

(Then they bring me an extra bottle of wine - thereby defeating the purpose!)

Comment

Quoth TOLady View Post
                        Raps - I hope that's okay.
                        No problem here. Hadn't even thought that people would do that. Interesting!

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                          No problem here. Hadn't even thought that people would do that. Interesting!

Rapscallion
                          I'm super busy during the day and with my evening's tied up with my other job, I don't get a chance to actually read the stories online, so while I'm holding or have a few seconds, I'll select a thread and copy and paste the page into a Word document. I usually save GK for Friday to I get everyone's comments .

I stay logged into CS all day (in case you've ever wondered why I'm always logged in) so I can upload about 20 or so threads a day.

Of course the downside is I'm sniggering like a mad woman reading the threads on a story on my way home
                          No... Just No! And I mean it this time!

Comment

Working...
                          X