This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
    8. Since everyone knows how ignorant those clerks are, you must always remember to tell them to not put the eggs and bread in the bottom of the bag.

From my (semi)memorable post: http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ead.php?t=2211
    Semi-memorable my ass. That post was downright hilarious, and has already been immortalized on this site. Rule #8 will never die. You rock.

Quoth trunks2k View Post
    Mashed potatoes are a pain in the ass?! That's incredibly easy to make. You don't cook much, do you?
    Me? Don't cook much? Riiiiiight.

To be fair, I have only made mashed potatos once. I did use big russet potatos, and I did follow my older sister's recipe. You know...the one I refer to as The Wicked Witch of the West? Now, she is brilliant in the kitchen, to be fair, but her recipes are not always the easiest. That all being said, it took forever for those damn things to boil, and forever for me to get them mashed, and it was just a big pain in the ass. Red potatos, though, now that I think about it, would be much easier, not to mention tastier. (My first attempt at home fries for a recent breakfast used red potatos, to much acclaim and praise. I used no recipe, only my own creative process from my brain. It worked.)

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
    Hubby doesn't make me breakfast that often, which is fine because I am rarely hungry in the morning. However, when I get home late at night, and there's some delicious smell from dinner that he's made for me, you can guarantee that he's getting a "reward" later.
    Which is half the reason that guys who cook cook, after all!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

yes, use the smaller, red potatos, jester; i'm not sure exactly what your sister did, but mashed spuds are easy and so yummy.

make sure you cut up the larger ones to help boil time, mash with horseradish or roasted garlic, salt, pepper and butter and YUM!

russets are just nasty things, imo; i'd rather have yukon golds, reds or almost anything but.

twice baked yams are good, too.
      look! it's ghengis khan!
      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

This thread got me thinking.

I am working Thanksgiving (daytime only) and I do like to cook, so what I am probably going to do is make up some holiday food for my coworkers....some of my special tropical island cranberry sauce, some (red) mashed potatos, some stuffing, out of the box--I am going to have limited time, and will not be cooking a bird, so this seems like the way to go with the stuffing, though I will of course check Food Network's site for any decent stuffing recipes, unless anyone here has any good recipes they want to share with me. (Keep in mind, I am going to be doing all this cooking after my Tuesday and Wednesday night shifts, so I while I don't mind complexity, I DO mind something that takes a long time.) Also, since I don't like turkey, and won't really feel like dealing with something that takes that long or is that large (I have to truck this all into work myself), anyone have any suggestions for the meat? Duck, perhaps? Ham? Something different? (One year my Swedish friend Mike made Swedish meatballs, and I made the rest of the fixings....we were both very happy.) All suggestions are welcome, even if I don't use them. Also, as I said, I will be making this stuff ahead of time and then using the hotel's kitchen to reheat the stuff, either on a stove or in an oven. (Microwaves are evil.)

What's that? What am I doing Thanksgiving night, you ask? Well, most Thursday nights my friend J and I do Trivia Night at a local bar, but Thanksgiving they will not be doing it, though they will be open. The Trivia DJ announced this last Thursday that J and I will be bringing in our own Trivial Pursuit game for anyone who wants to play. You know....a nice traditional Thanksgiving night at a bar, watching football, eating bar food, drinking mass quantities of beer, and playing Trivia. What could be more traditional than that?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

We're doing the same thing as last year, going to La Casa Sena in Santa Fe for dinner. When we have done turkey ourselves, we get just a breast and smoke it on the grill.

Quoth trunks2k View Post
          It's from an episode of WKRP in Cincinatti. My parents talk about it every Thanksgiving.
          I was beginning to worry that I was the only other person to get that! I miss that show, especially Les Nesman's "office" and constant worrying about Canada invading!

Quoth trunks2k View Post
          Mashed potatoes are a pain in the ass?! That's incredibly easy to make.
          I was thinking the same thing. Reds are okay, but I really like Yukon Golds. But have ya ever tried mashed purple potatoes? Those are so-o-o-o cool. Of course, purple also happens to be my favority color, too.

Quoth Erin View Post
          My dad's making prime rib for thanksgiving dinner. (with au jus, sauteed mushrooms, asparagus, corn, and either baked potatoes, or he'll make his special garlic Yukon Gold potato side dish. I'm making bread rolls)
          Yum, what time is dinner again????

And speaking of canned jellied cranberry sauce....Here's a recipe that I got out of one of Paula Deen's cookbooks:

Mrs. Hoggle's Stuffed Cranberry Sauce

1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
          2 Tbs good-quality mayonnaise
          1/4 to ½ cup chopped pecans
          1 (16 oz) can jellied cranberry sauce, chilled

Mix cream cheese and mayonnaise until creamy. It needs to be spreadable. Add pecans and mix well. Slice cranberry sauce in 1/4-inch rounds and spread cream cheese mixture on 1 round and place another round on top, sandwich style. Cut each round in half like a sandwich and place in shallow container, covered. Keep in refrigerator until time to serve.

All this talk of food has made me hungry. *toddles of to get something to eat*
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
          X