Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a Honeybaked ham for Christmas? Go to the one Boca Raton retirees don't visit

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People like this amuse me, and I think that behavior like this is why deli people often seem so surprised when they deal with me. What am I talking about? Well, a typical conversation when Jester goes to the deli:

JESTER: I'll take a half pound of that pastrami please.
    DELI PERSON: (after slicing and weighing pastrami, and with some trepidation in their voice) Um, it's actually .6 pounds.
    JESTER: That's fine, close enough for me. Better too much than too little! (disarming Jester smile)
    DELI PERSON: Here you go! Anything else? (said with surprised smile on face)

I am often a little unnerved by this...are people really that anal at the deli? Deli folks, let me know....am I unusual?

I mean, besides the obvious! Just in regards to this.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      I am often a little unnerved by this...are people really that anal at the deli? Deli folks, let me know....am I unusual?
      I've noticed that too. I've also watched a 0.5 pound order come to 0.48 and they keep slicing for me.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

While I'm not an official deli employee (woo hoo), there are customers who insist that it's the EXACT weight that they want. Actually, it goes for the customers in the hot foods department, too.

To be fair, though, there ARE customers who truly don't mind if it's a little bit over or under. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay them!!!
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
          To be fair, though, there ARE customers who truly don't mind if it's a little bit over or under. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay them!!!
          Hehe I'm one of those people! I don't see what the big deal is if it's a bit over. Does the extra .02 of a pound taste different or something? So it costs a bit more. Last time I checked, a quarter or 50c isn't going to hurt me
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
            I prefer it to be over rather than under, but if we are talking about .48 instead of .5, I think I will get buy. It's still a freakin' half pound!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
              Hehe I'm one of those people! I don't see what the big deal is if it's a bit over. Does the extra .02 of a pound taste different or something? So it costs a bit more. Last time I checked, a quarter or 50c isn't going to hurt me
              Nope, doesn't hurt a body physically, but it certainly does hurt the rich folks' wallets! Gotta save every penny they have to maintain that million dollar condo in Palm Beach, or save those pennies to shop on Worth Avenue. Or better yet, save those pennies to pay the maid at their million dollar mansion when they're down in Florida (where they have no business being, except to cause trouble).

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                People like this amuse me, and I think that behavior like this is why deli people often seem so surprised when they deal with me. What am I talking about? Well, a typical conversation when Jester goes to the deli:

JESTER: I'll take a half pound of that pastrami please.
                DELI PERSON: (after slicing and weighing pastrami, and with some trepidation in their voice) Um, it's actually .6 pounds.
                JESTER: That's fine, close enough for me. Better too much than too little! (disarming Jester smile)
                DELI PERSON: Here you go! Anything else? (said with surprised smile on face)

I mean, besides the obvious! Just in regards to this.
                I'm the same way you are, since I realize *exact* is rather tricky under deli conditions (I've never worked in one, but do have a functioning brain and some capacity for observation and inference, thanks ). I also frequently see what seems like excessive relief that I'm not going to make a big deal about hitting the *exact* weight specified. The poor deli people must get a LOT of SC tantrums if they're *that* relieved to be dealing with a reasonable person.
                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Up for review being it's just a few days away!

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                    I'm the same way you are, since I realize *exact* is rather tricky under deli conditions (I've never worked in one, but do have a functioning brain and some capacity for observation and inference, thanks ). I also frequently see what seems like excessive relief that I'm not going to make a big deal about hitting the *exact* weight specified. The poor deli people must get a LOT of SC tantrums if they're *that* relieved to be dealing with a reasonable person.

I am the same way
                    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

This was a fun one; someone placed an order for 10 pounds of coleslaw, and 10 pounds of potato salad. Since someone had a 50-piece chicken order 5 minutes before his order, I didn't have time to get his ready; I had to work on it while he was waiting. He was understanding, joking around with me, and I started weighing out the coleslaw. It came to 8.4 pounds, so I told him I'd be right back, I have to grab some more. "That's ok, 8.4 is enough".

The next day, he comes back bitching to Ma about how I didn't give him all he ordered, and how he had to wait "a long time" (two minutes).

Hmm, maybe a gas station isn't the best place in the world to be placing an order for 20 pounds worth of side dishes?
                      I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
                      less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

I hate to ask, but what did he need all that for?

Actually, I'm getting mental images now... They're sort of fuzzy. They're clearing.

Pass the brain bleach.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                        X