X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry... the kitchen is closed.

Hi all...

I work in a restaurant. The hours of said restaurant are clearly printed on the front door. On sunday nights, we close at 9pm. Part of three walks in around 8.45pm, that's 15 minutes until closing. Now, we aren't officially closed yet, but, we have them "the speech" (politely told them they had to sit down, order, eat, and GTFO).

Me: Hi there.
    SC: Hi... Is it too late to get a table for 3?
    Me: Well, we are closing in 15 minutes, but, if you order quickly, i can get you in.
    SC: Okay... great.
    Me: Follow me *grabs menus, ticket, and leads them to a table*

At this point i stand a few tables away to give them time to look over the menu, but still be able to take the order as soon as they are ready. They decide what they want, and order, and their food is delivered, after which the kitchen staff goes home, as it is now past 9pm. After finishing their meals:

Me: Would you like any coffee or dessert tonight? (we can do desserts, drink refills and coffee orders at this point, but no more food orders)
    SC: Can we place carry-out order?
    Me: Sorry, im afraid the kitchen closed at 9. I can offer you dessert, coffee, or drinks but no food.
    SC: Why is the kitchen closed? There are still customers here!
    Me: As i said, the kitchen stops taking orders at nine... After nine, they will cook any orders already in, but the chefs leave as soon as they are done.
    SC: So, there is noone here to cook the food i want?
    Me: That's correct sir.
    SC: Well, you can call them to come back here, i want to get some food to take home.
    Me: Im sorry sir, i can't do that. Our hours are clearly posted on the front door, and i told you when you came in that all orders had to be in before nine.
    SC: Well, that isn't right. The customer is always right! I insist that you get someone here right now to prepare my food!

(oooh... big mistake there buddy... i hate that 'customer is always right' line) Now, i already knew i was going to get a crap tip from this guy, based on his attitude. I was also painfully aware that i had to open the lunch shift the next morning.

Me: Not in this case, sir! *drops check* *walks away*

I got yelled at for that one, but, in the end, didn't really get in any trouble for it, as this guy apparently has a history of harassing our staff.

Quoth RestaurantDude View Post
    I got yelled at for that one,
    Why did you get yelled at for something so obviously the SC's fault? As far as I can see you did nothing wrong. If I got yelled at for something so stupid I would yell right back.
    It's been a long, long, long, long time...

Comment

Reminds me of the movie Waiting... when they get the last minute couple. The kitchen staff screams and throws a big fit, hehe.

Also, Welcome!!!
      Here's your sign...

Comment

There's cookies and sammich's to the left, coffee and soda to the right.
        and of course, brain bleach.

Comment

I got 'yelled at' for mouthing off to a customer. Didn't really get in any trouble. My boss is pretty cool about stuff like that. We obviously can't just say whatever we want to any old customer, but, if said person is being a dickish SC< then, well... we get away w/ a bit more.

Comment

Quoth EmilyRose1982 View Post
            Reminds me of the movie Waiting... when they get the last minute couple. The kitchen staff screams and throws a big fit, hehe.
            For those of you who have never worked in a restaurant, trust me when I say that 90% of what you see in the movie "Waiting" is absolutely, 100% true.

And yes, we get the last minute folks all the time. Though usually they are just inconsiderate, not downright rude and demanding like the one in the OP.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth EmilyRose1982 View Post

Also, Welcome!!!
              I was thinking the same thing! LOL

I love that movie!

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                For those of you who have never worked in a restaurant, trust me when I say that 90% of what you see in the movie "Waiting" is absolutely, 100% true.

And yes, we get the last minute folks all the time. Though usually they are just inconsiderate, not downright rude and demanding like the one in the OP.
                Which is why I refuse to see the movie. My husband said the same thing, and I've heard enough horror stories from his kitchen jobs. I'd like to keep what little blissful ignorance I have left.
                Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

I must go find this movie I've never heard of it.
                  Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

"The customer is always right!"

My mom said that to me once.

ONCE! I may have started shrieking, I'm not sure.
                    I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Quoth Horsetuna View Post
                      I must go find this movie I've never heard of it.
                      Three words: Ryan Reynolds' abs.
                      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                      HR believes the first person in the door
                      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                      Document everything
                      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        Does that include the penis showing game?
                        Here's your sign...

Comment

I know the feeling...even as a former Hostess I hated when I got last minute people coming in and being inconsiderate asshats about it. Welcome to the boards,btw!
                          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Waiting was the most popular film at my old bar. Everyone had a copy.

A shift at my old bar was pretty much exactly like Waiting, although we didn't have the penis showing game. And everyone was just like a character from that film.

I got lcompared with that crazy chick that goes apeshit all the time and then appears sweet and innocent in front of the customers.

Comment

It's amazing, innit? I can pretty much match every character from Waiting to someone i work with. Our place is a lot like Waiting, save for the penis showing game & the messing w/ the food.

Comment

Working...
                              X